Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

RB26 instead of 4g63?????

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2009, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RB26 instead of 4g63?????

Im not getting crazy, but I really am getting so as well!!!

I love Nissan's RB26 DETT the most, and so does anyone who know this engine I think..

I was asking my self today: What if someone replaces the 2.0 4G63 with the monstrous, twin turbo charged RB26???? Will it fit??? Will the car have the same power character as skylines?? And what will be required to achieve such goal????

Professional comments please.. Coz Im dead serious..

*Plz make sure that professional comments usually exceed the 300-5000 words limit, so be professional :P

ThanX n advance

Waleed.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 02:26 PM

I don't think there is enough real estate under the hood of an Evo to stuff an RB in without widening the front of the car about 4 inches to fit it sideways, or lengthening the front to fit it North/South in the engine bay.

Lots of fabrication required is an understatement.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

I think it would have to lose the AWD to swap in a RB26DETT. I've seen the LS1 swapped Evo IX. The motor was only able to fit when placed in longitudinally which means the motor is put in long ways parallel to the fenders. This only allows the vehicle to be used in RWD form. I don't think the engine bay is large enough to place an RB26DETT and still be AWD. I believe the Evo, without its AWD layout, will be a poor track car because of the weight distribution.

It would be cool to see one though. With an unlimited amount of financial backing, anything can be accomplished.

Last edited by AJsGenerX; Jun 13, 2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nate
I don't think there is enough real estate under the hood of an Evo to stuff an RB in without widening the front of the car about 4 inches to fit it sideways, or lengthening the front to fit it North/South in the engine bay.

Lots of fabrication required is an understatement.
then again, they fit a LS1 under our hoods
lol
Old Jun 13, 2009, 02:48 PM

I have a bit of experience with these engines. I don't think you could get the getrag in the car without serious modification to the chasis and driveline components. If you want to maintain AWD you are going to have serious issues trying to fit this under the hood. Unless you plan on building a custom tube frame to make room for this longitudinally mounted engine and ginormous transmission, I don't think it's cost effective.

Great engine though.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

^ This

Besides, with the coin you would spend modding the car for the new setup you could buy the Skyline outright.

If you want to do it just to do, then cool, but you lose a lot in the trade off.

BTW, the purist in me is screaming loudly right now, I will not repeat what he is saying but.... you get the idea.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just price out the engine and all the parts associated with the engine + labor for all the fab work. once you have a final number takes all that money and mod your 4G63 and you will have an insanely fast evo built to handle anything you can throw at it, without all the headache.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Norris Designs mounted a 4G63 longitudinally then used a Hollister (sp?) trans designed for a Skyline along with the rest of the Skyline AWD hardware into their Evo. It is conceivable that perhaps a RB26 could fit long ways, but you'd still probably end up with some of the engine hanging out over a lengthed nose and/or into the firewall.

Bottom line is you'd end up with some freak science project of a car that no longer really is an Evo, so you have to ask is it worth it to cut up a perfectly good Evo and spend a million dollars in custom fab work recreating it, or just buy a GT-R.

Or, if you truly believe more is better, maybe a five cylinder from a Focus RS would work. Try building one of those up. IF it can do more then the 1100+whp a few people have gotten out of a 4G63, then I guess its worth it.

Last edited by GPTourer; Jun 13, 2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

its not realistic
as in
too much cost
plus its longitudinal
u might as well built a fully built evo
plus the rb26 is heavy
Old Jun 13, 2009, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

If you have "GreaT" funding really anything is possible. But whats a evo thats not 4wd?
Old Jun 13, 2009, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

i think it would be sick a evo with a rb26 but like everyone else thinks the cost is the killer and then fitment , if you got the flow tho and nothing better to spend it on id do it,or buy a r33 or 34
Old Jun 13, 2009, 05:29 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt your really serious.. First off if you were and you had that type of money, you'd just take it to the best shop in the county and say do it. not come on a online forum and ask guys who've never done it if its possible or whats required. Majority will say sure anything is possible with enough money. I emailed the guys at Norris Designs to see if they would give me any pointers about doing the longitudinal engine into the evo, needless to say with the amount of money they have into the R&D alone in that car, there were obviously not interested in letting the cat out of the bag, which is totally understandable. If you came on here and said, look guys, here's my skyline front clip I just paid 7 grand for... My plan is to drop it into my evo.. I've done a lot of research and measuring and I've calculated everything should fit ok without to much fuss.

Then I would say wow this guy is serious, he's done his homework and I actually have some faith in this projects completion.

Until then, to me your just another dreamer.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Anything is possible. Just ask the guy with the LS powered civic hatch. LOTS of fab work.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 08:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'd have to retain the skylines tranny as well and the engine would have to be mounted front to back (longitudally). I think you can get it to fit if you opened up the tunnel a bit but the main problem you'd run into is all that extra weight in front of the front axle and the front subframe being so low.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I thought about this whole thing since its another awd motor but positioned opposite the orientation of the 4g63. Just dreaming but I think it'd be cool to drop in the rs4 motor into it.

Quick Reply: RB26 instead of 4g63?????