Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

running very leane at idle

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2010, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
running very leane at idle

hey i hope i'm posting this in the rite spot sorry if i'm not and i searched and couldnt find anything on this. kind of a noob but from what i know closer to 10 would b rich and high than that would b leane so correct me if i'm wrong. But, neway i just recently noticed my car is running very leane at idle the a/f gauge reads 17 and i noticed its difficult to start the car and skips a little bit here and there during idle. i do have a leak in my manifold that i have to fix and my O2 sensor is disconnected...the one after the cat (but i dont have a cat). I'm assuming those r the reasons for my car running so leane just wondering if anyone thought otherwise and if its okay to drive my car to atleast get it fixed i dont wanna blow my engine i figured if i just turn the boost all the way down and dont rip it id b fine.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

A big leak could obviously be the culprit. Generally at idle, my car reads between 14.7 and 15.1, which is the normal target range for idle AFRs. Get that leak fixed and reconnect the O2 sensor and see what your readings are. For the O2 sensor after the car, there is a very simple fix:https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ouler-how.html

Takes about 5 minutes and works like a charm. Haven't thrown a CEL in 4 years of having the fix.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 06:12 PM

thanks alot man i really appreciate ur quick response i figured that just seeing if neone else had ne other thoughts....u think it'll b okay to drive tho? not boosting it ofcourse
Old Feb 1, 2010, 09:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
any leaks make a difference

o2 sensor isn't doing anything besides throwing a cel

at idle 17 is going to hurt anything

but if you know you have leaks stay out of boost while driving