Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

whats what? evo models

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2010, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats what? evo models

how can you tell what model an evo is? (ex. mr,gsr,fq-400)
Old Feb 10, 2010, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

all the fq models are only in europe, no usa versions come that way.

The us versions are:
RS- no spoiler, aluminum roof, rool-up windows, etc. I like to call it "really stock" just for fun.
SSL- Sunroof, Sound, Leather package,
SE- Special edition, aluminum roof, pwr. windows, pwr. locks, SE lip, actanatara suede and leather seats, carbon dash panels, BBS wheels, H.I.D's, i think something else but cant remember
MR- 6-speed with BBS wheels, H.I.D's
MR SE - You can put it together!

edit.....GSR- just the reguler model, no adds or anything

Last edited by 06GraphiteEvoIX; Feb 10, 2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What about mine I got MR gauges a lancer wing and a different strut tower brace the wing looks like it was from Evo 7 GTA or the FQ260 in europe. Its different for sure kinda like a sleeper evo. Pics are in my "garage" section
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

I think yours is an rs but i am guessing it has power windows so the original owner probably bought the standard gsr and either didnt like the evo wing and took it off and liked the O.Z. Rally wing or they liked the LED's on the wing so they swapped the wing... i know its not an MR cause in 03' they didnt make MR's plus yours doesnt have H.I.D's or the Wheels so it gives it away.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
gsr has everything except the se stuff and alumin roof but has sunroof hids power everything etc.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
gsr has everything except the se stuff and alumin roof but has sunroof hids power everything etc.
Depends on the year... my buddy has an 06' Ix gsr and his has none of that stuff. no h.i.d's, no sunroof,no alumin. roof, just power everything
i am not sure on the 03-05 i have not looked into them that good... i thought
most 8's have had sunroof's cause they had metal roofs... the alumin. roof will not support the sunroof
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jorda420
What about mine I got MR gauges a lancer wing and a different strut tower brace the wing looks like it was from Evo 7 GTA or the FQ260 in europe. Its different for sure kinda like a sleeper evo. Pics are in my "garage" section
List you VIN and we'll decode it for you. Remember that after the car is bought, anything can be swapped and changed around.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vetboss
List you VIN and we'll decode it for you. Remember that after the car is bought, anything can be swapped and changed around.
Decode mine if you dont mind JA3AH86C86U066261
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:35 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GraphiteEvoIX
Depends on the year... my buddy has an 06' Ix gsr and his has none of that stuff. no h.i.d's, no sunroof,no alumin. roof, just power everything
i am not sure on the 03-05 i have not looked into them that good... i thought
most 8's have had sunroof's cause they had metal roofs... the alumin. roof will not support the sunroof
IIRC, 03-04 had stock HIDs and optional sunroofs. The aluminum roofs were introduced in 05 and HIDs were only available on the SSL/MR. IX - SSL/SE/MR - had HIDs and RS/SE/MR had aluminum roofs. Isn't there a sticky somewhere that describes all this?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Not sure i am sure there is but i just answered the thread cause i like when people answer me straight up rather then tell me find the original thread.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06GraphiteEvoIX
I think yours is an rs but i am guessing it has power windows so the original owner probably bought the standard gsr and either didnt like the evo wing and took it off and liked the O.Z. Rally wing or they liked the LED's on the wing so they swapped the wing... i know its not an MR cause in 03' they didnt make MR's plus yours doesnt have H.I.D's or the Wheels so it gives it away.
I got HIDs and and power windows/locks also it camer with the mitsubishi racing blue shift knob with matching pedals (found alot of things that are on my car on Japanparts.com. Im the second owner (first owner was a 50 yr old guy that has a house in NZ and has a evo 7) and I got it at 8k miles he said he got it from the dealer that way. I will post up my VIN when i get back to my car in the morning for decoding

This is the strut bar I got

http://www.japanparts.com/db/parts_d...=11&submit.y=3
Old Feb 11, 2010, 01:19 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jorda420
...it camer with the mitsubishi racing blue shift knob with matching pedals
FWIW, those can be ordered from the parts counter - blue or brushed aluminum. They're usually on Ebay, as well, somewhat discounted. The RS came with the aluminum version of the knob. I kept mine and installed it on the SE before it was driven off the lot. It's the little things...

IIR, the smaller spoiler was stock and the large (typically seen) wing was optional in '03. The RS was not introduced until '04.

Last edited by FJF; Feb 11, 2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:17 AM

For your info, FQ's were a UK only model based on RS2 spec for the Evo 7 and JDM spec GSRs for the Evo 8-9MR cars. Imported as the standard car then modded to which ever FQ spec the car was designated to be.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

and by the way FQ stand for F***ing Quick, But yes the fq was in UK only the USA has to many restrictions such as crash beams which eleminate having the jdm rear bumper which i think is SICK!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vetboss
Here ya go JA3AH86F43U122671