Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sunroof leak

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof leak

The sunroof on my 03 VIII is leaking a very little bit and with all the snow we've had recently, quite frankly the moisture makes my car stink like ****. The car is garage kept so it's not out in the elements all the time, but I still have places I have to go when its raining or snowing. Just by looking at it you can tell the sunroof hangs down about 1/8 inch in the driver-side rear corner, causing the weather stripping not to seal properly.

Has anyone had anything like this repaired by mitsubishi? I'm afraid it's going to cost me an arm and a leg but I don't know who else would be able to fix it. I'm wondering if it would almost cost the same to get the AMS roof and eliminate the sunroof all together.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Probably a track issue. There is a thread in the How to section that can help you with taking everything apart. Chances are you'll find your culprit pretty quick and it may be a cheap easy fix

AMS CF Roof = 1000
Labor = I couldn't even imagine

Def a nice piece though
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

If you slide the partition thing back and look on the track, you will see two torx style bolts(T20 is the size). You can see them from the drivers seat/ passenger seat. Loosen them and adjust the glass up as needed.

It works MUCH better with two people. One person on the outside to tell you when the glass/seal are flush with the roof.

I am assuming your sunroof is working fine other wise. If your sunroof is acting up, there is a whole other write up on that as mentioned above, but the headliner must be removed. GL.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ AMS carbon fiber roof is sexy(My car btw and all the pics were taken when the car was filthy)... but i have a sunroof assembly for sale too if you dont want to go the CF roof route... $200 bucks for the whole thing plus headliner... lol

Mike
Old Feb 15, 2010, 01:21 PM

seals
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by revvin9k
If you slide the partition thing back and look on the track, you will see two torx style bolts(T20 is the size). You can see them from the drivers seat/ passenger seat. Loosen them and adjust the glass up as needed.

It works MUCH better with two people. One person on the outside to tell you when the glass/seal are flush with the roof.

I am assuming your sunroof is working fine other wise. If your sunroof is acting up, there is a whole other write up on that as mentioned above, but the headliner must be removed. GL.
Me and my friend have already done that. There is a piece of plastic on that side that appears to be broken but I'm not really sure how to describe it. The sunroof still operates correctly. It just hangs down in that corner.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

^^^^^^^^ Gonna go take a look at mine as my headliner is down. BRB
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hamx0r

^^^ AMS carbon fiber roof is sexy(My car btw and all the pics were taken when the car was filthy)... but i have a sunroof assembly for sale too if you dont want to go the CF roof route... $200 bucks for the whole thing plus headliner... lol

Mike
How is the AMS roof attached to the car? Did you do it yourself or did you get a body shop to do it, and how much did it cost to do?

If I can figure out what part of the sunroof is broken would you be willing to sell me just that part? lol
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

^^^^^^^^ Gonna go take a look at mine as my headliner is down. BRB

Cool, let me know. It's a black piece of abs plastic that runs on both sides of the sunroof. Some kind of bracket or something, but mine is clearly broken on the driver side.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aschold
Cool, let me know. It's a black piece of abs plastic that runs on both sides of the sunroof. Some kind of bracket or something, but mine is clearly broken on the driver side.

Okay, I saw the piece you are talking about. Those bolts actually go through there.

Now your only two options is to:

A) Buy a used sunroof assembly off someone and swap out the part. (Taking down the sunroof is actually really easy once the headliner i out of the way).

B) Get the AMS CF roof.

C) Prop something in there till you figure out what to do and do not use the sun roof.
Sorry bud.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

remind me, ill call bob or willie at mitsu and get a printout of the sunroof breakdown. im sure we can order just the part of the track that is broken. ill get it at list price plus wouldnt hurt to clear the drains.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Okay, I saw the piece you are talking about. Those bolts actually go through there.

Now your only two options is to:

A) Buy a used sunroof assembly off someone and swap out the part. (Taking down the sunroof is actually really easy once the headliner i out of the way).

B) Get the AMS CF roof.

C) Prop something in there till you figure out what to do and do not use the sun roof.
Sorry bud.

Yeah I have a socket holding it up right now haha. Do you think, if it's not too much trouble, could you take a picture of the part for me?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SeeCoryRun
remind me, ill call bob or willie at mitsu and get a printout of the sunroof breakdown. im sure we can order just the part of the track that is broken. ill get it at list price plus wouldnt hurt to clear the drains.
Good call. Was wondering when you were going to chime in.

I'm going to text you. I'd like to try to get this done this week so moisture won't get in while the car sits for a few months. Even though it'll be in the garage it still gets pretty humid in there. You think if we ordered it tomorrow it would be in before Friday?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aschold
Good call. Was wondering when you were going to chime in.

I'm going to text you. I'd like to try to get this done this week so moisture won't get in while the car sits for a few months. Even though it'll be in the garage it still gets pretty humid in there. You think if we ordered it tomorrow it would be in before Friday?

im sure itd only be a few days. worst case is you might have to buy the whole track :/
Old Feb 15, 2010, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SeeCoryRun
im sure itd only be a few days. worst case is you might have to buy the whole track :/
Hopefully not

Quick Reply: Sunroof leak