Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

closed hood and car almost shut off?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2010, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
closed hood and car almost shut off?

ive had my car stored since september but about every other week it gets started and atleast once a month gets driven for like 5 mins.

last time it was driven was on friday. today after the car was warmed up i closed the hood and it almost shut off...anyone know why??

Car info:
evo ix with 23xxx miles
tbe, intake, mbc, tune on 93

thanks
Old Mar 21, 2010, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had the same thing happen to my car also. I was wondering what it could be, but it only happened once.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

If I close my hood to hard it stumbles the idle some but not near shutting off. Only thing I could figure is it shocks the cam sensor.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

interesting, yah this is the 1st time its happened and it wasnt a slam either, just let the hood drop from about 2 or 3 inches away
Old Mar 21, 2010, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

same thing here! i think it pushes the air away from the intake so it gasps for air real quick? knowlegable conclusion i guess!
Old Mar 21, 2010, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

my car also does this when closing the hood hard. also my GSX did this with the hard intake piping. from what iv heard its the maf sensor not that its bad but it messes with the readings. good way to tell if it is your maf when ur car is running pop the hood and tap on the sensor wiggle it if possible. and see if it makes the idle change.
hope this helps
Old Mar 21, 2010, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is another topic on here that i read earlier about their cars RPM's drop when where were loud noises around. Your Knock sensor thought it was knock from the engine and put your evo into "safe mode" lol.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ibrations.html
Old Mar 21, 2010, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by eXtreme-Speed
There is another topic on here that i read earlier about their cars RPM's drop when where were loud noises around. Your Knock sensor thought it was knock from the engine and put your evo into "safe mode" lol.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ibrations.html
^ This.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always thought it was the maf..
Old Mar 21, 2010, 08:54 PM

I have this same problem. I took it to the dealer and we reproduced the stumble, simply by shutting the hood (dropping it from a few inches rather). They spoke with 2 techs (in wherever they are in the world) and they had 2 EVO IX's and they also reproduced the stumble by shutting the hood on both of their IX's. Also, if tap your fist lightly on the soft intake tubing, it will also sputter...
My notes from Mitsu says, and I quote "...THIS PROBLEM IS A NORMAL CONDITION..." also ...."THE VAF SENSOR REACTS WHEN TAPPED ON." They said it was damaged and replaced it, but it still does it.
What these guys figured out was that the slamming of the hood is causing the frequency in the MAF to change.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:38 AM
Evolving Member

What these guys figured out was that the slamming of the hood is causing the frequency in the MAF to change.
^Bingo!
This subject was talked about eons ago.
Our MAF sensor is based on "karmann vortex" air flow principal that tends to be very sensitive to any disruptive airflow. Vibrations, tapping, hood slamming, Harleys reving, etc. can cause this stumble. Normal.

Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:11 AM
Evolving Member

lol I've seen several cars do this, not just Evos. I always thought it was just the car reading knock and freakin out for a second but I guess it's also the MAF sensor lol. Timid little Evos. This is also another reason why, when at the track, you want to wait til the loud mullet machine next to you takes off then you can bounce ur car off the limiter and launch it lol. Besides, then everyone gets to hear your car too and not just the stupid muscle car with no exhaust.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for all the info...makes me feel alot better
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by x569
+2. Happens if a Harley pulls next to you at a light too.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:22 AM

It's turbulent air getting into our MAF's from the shock to your intake pipe/sensor. They are Karmann Vortex type and require a very specific flow form to read correctly.

All evo's do this and yours is not broken, now go and enjoy it like it was never a problem!

Quick Reply: closed hood and car almost shut off?