Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

car won't start

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it a mini battery? Check if the terminal on the battery itself has any play.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ekoy
is it a mini battery? Check if the terminal on the battery itself has any play.

i started the car in my driveway n let it warmed up. I backed out then put in 1st gear gave it some gas and then it stalled on me. Try to start it again and it wouldn't start. I checked the battery (new),spark plugs(new), fuel pump(smell fuel and swapped both from walbro to stock and NOTHING), COP system(swapped back to stock and still nothing),fuses (all look good). Im checking the immobilizer setting next on Ecuflsh
Old Dec 8, 2010, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by casper980
OP, when mine made the buzz sound, it did not click or try to turn over and the starter was gone. How many miles on the car? My starter went around 40000 miles. Probably died early from trying to start the car with a mini battery in cold weather, you could have done the same thing with a weak stock battery. GL
I have just over 38,000 miles.

Yea, the fact that I do not even hear the clicking from the starting solenoid leads me to believe either the starter is toast, the wiring is bad, or there are relays/fuses that are burnt up.

Also, it is not a mini battery and the connections to the battery are very tight. No play at all.

Originally Posted by X91EVO
you check if your neutral safety switch is working right?
The only switch I went around was the clutch safety switch. Are you refering to a different switch? If so, what are all the starting logic relays in the car and where can I bypass them? This information would at least allow me to rule out the relays.

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
a mirror and a flash light from the top down?
I will try to scrounge up an extendable mirror from one of the machinists or electricians at where I work and take a look today. Just as a reference (new owner and all) the starter is on the passenger side and about half way back in the engine bay?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

It's located in the center closer to the front once you get the undertray off you should be able to see it. It's covered by a little exhaust shield.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 08:18 AM

Its probably just the ground on the starter....I had the EXACT same thing happen to me!
Old Dec 8, 2010, 08:29 AM

starter?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

I'm gonna drop the car off at the mechanic tomorrow and hopefully they solve this problem since I don't have the tools or lift to do so.

The car also had the CEL on when I was driving it over to a friend's house next to the mechanic's shop. Would it spit this out for push starting the car or the starter not working? Or would this indicate some deeper issue with the car?

Also, (be nice) but if I reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery, will it affect the tune or the ECU emission hacks that are loaded?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by nollij
I'm gonna drop the car off at the mechanic tomorrow and hopefully they solve this problem since I don't have the tools or lift to do so.

The car also had the CEL on when I was driving it over to a friend's house next to the mechanic's shop. Would it spit this out for push starting the car or the starter not working? Or would this indicate some deeper issue with the car?

Also, (be nice) but if I reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery, will it affect the tune or the ECU emission hacks that are loaded?
let me know. bc mine is down too. but ur tune still should be in there if u disconnect the battery
Old Dec 9, 2010, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

The auto mechanic said that they called all around to find a starter and the only one they could find was straight from Mitsubishi.

The cost would be $624. I told him that I would try to look around for other options before going that route.

Is this price a bit extraneous for a starter? I figured it would be in the $200 range at most. Are there any other options for a starter that would fit?

The part number he said was 1810A098.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Is the Evo 8 starter the same as the Evo 9 starter? Will an Evo 8 starter fit an Evo 9?
Old Dec 9, 2010, 05:57 PM

alternator ?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by naplesevo
alternator ?
If it was the alternator, then the car would die while I was driving it when the battery ran out of juice. As it is, the battery has a good voltage and I can drive the car after push starting it.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nollij
The auto mechanic said that they called all around to find a starter and the only one they could find was straight from Mitsubishi.

The cost would be $624. I told him that I would try to look around for other options before going that route.

Is this price a bit extraneous for a starter? I figured it would be in the $200 range at most. Are there any other options for a starter that would fit?

The part number he said was 1810A098.
oh lord please dont do that....check the for sale...someone here has to have a starter for sale, or goto autozone or order one online...624 sounds fn rediculous
Old Dec 10, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

and TBH ..i would do it myself, if you have a ratchet and jack and stands....its the easiest thing to change...

but yea, it def sounds like a starter issue if you can kick start it fine, but dead silence when turning key from standstill....replace that sucker...matter a fact i think auto zone will test things like that for you, for free...or if u feelin froggy...connect 12 volts to it
Old Dec 10, 2010, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can replace the starter, buy a full set of tools, a jack, jack stands, a creeper, and pay a car payment for $624 let alone the additional labor a mechanic would charge. With the undertray off the starter probably takes what...1 hour maybe for a beginner? They're only $75 on ebay and in the mean time you can source a new one and learn to work on your car...not sure how long you've had your Evo but every Evo owner should know how to work on their own car because let's face it...well...they break

Quick Reply: car won't start