Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Question about exedy twin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2011, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about exedy twin

So I currently have an exedy twin with about 80k on it, all daily driven. As of right now, it's starting to slip every once in a while. My question is, has anyone done a rebuild themselves? How hard/easy is it just to rebuild the clutch, once the clutch is out? I would have my mechanic do the clutch install, but he really isn't someone who fixes trannies. The tranny shop around here really doesn't do to good of a job and they seem sketchy. I talked to my mechanic before and asked him if he has ever rebuilt a clutch and he hasn't. He is ase certified and I trust him. I've searched the forums on how to do the rebuild and the closest thing I found was the twin/triple conversion:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-assembly.html

The video makes it look super easy, but what are the tightening specs for everything?

Another question I have is, is there any difference between the twin and triple, As far as daily driving? Would the triple last as long if not longer than the twin with the occasional "spirited driving"? If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Its very easy. Once the trans comes out, the clutch is right there. You take off the 6 allen heads, that hold the pressure plate on, a ring, and then disassemble the clutch. the new discs(rebuild kit) and new intermediate plate(you will probably need new plates with that kind of mileage.). Take it apart, pay attention to how it comes apart, put it back together with new parts...and youre done. Trans goes back in.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:39 AM

Thank you. I just wanted to make sure that the video shown in the link was exactly how easy it was.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:42 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The two clutch disk are different, so make sure you buy Disk A and Disk B. The floating plate is also a very good idea to get, as I did no get one with mine, and am regreting it. Also consider a new throw-out-bearing, and retaining clip. I was not able to reuse the retaining clip, and it was major downtime for me.