Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

03 shell project/possible restore

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 shell project/possible restore

For sale!

Last edited by JakeTheVIII; May 5, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:14 AM

that poor evo looks like it's lived a hard life
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:23 AM

How you doing, i believe all depends if you have the time, tools, money and knowledge to invest. If all those items are at your reach it can be a fun project but if you have to pay for labor, storage and tools is not worth it. just my 2 cents.
Good luck
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:28 AM

I used to work at a body shop. and to fix it correct would be to just hack out everything that is bent and weld new it, a frame rack wont un-bend the frame... after you do that (don't know if you work or have a connection to a body shop) but, they have a machine that is called a "GENESIS" this will measure out how far off particular points on your car are from OEM specs.. i don't if you would just be able to work something out with a body shop or not but.. i would say if you want it don't "right" i would go that route.. if you just want it so you can drive it again.. just hack the bent **** out and weld some new **** in haha
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:12 PM

I don't think it would be worth it unless you have can do all the work yourself or some sort of cheap hook up at a body shop.

If you can do all the work and can source any needed parts cheap then it'd probably be worth it and a good deal.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:27 PM

Doesn't look too bad. but you should have pulled the motor without cutting any metal out. It would be easier to see how far back you can pull it if all the crunched metal is still attached. YOu need to have it on the frame rack to get it all straight. I wouldnt even replace the frame rails if you are on the budget, just get the radiator support and everything that you cut. Pull everything you need and then you good to go.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

car is for sale

Last edited by JakeTheVIII; May 5, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

So I've been exactly where you are (for better or worse!)

I would bring the car to the best frame shop and the best frame rack that you can find to take laser measurements (tip to toe). This will give you a baseline of what can be salvaged and what needs to be replaced.

Get an estimate of what it will take to get the car 100% straight and go from there.

If you don't get the front to back laser measurements, you could be throwing good money after bad....I learned this the hard way
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:53 AM

You can also think of the possibility of parting the car out and take the money and purchase another car with the added money you would have spent on repairs. Typically these types of builds only work out if you have what rob328 said and can do all the work yourself.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:13 PM

Cool project.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

whats scary is this looks just like my car =/
Old Mar 29, 2011, 01:54 AM
Evolving Member

If the shock towers arent misalligned, you can cut the frame rails off, and make a tubed front end. If you can find somebody with an evo or can get the measurments, i would probably go that route.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:39 AM

Nice project.

But make sure to get that frame 100% straight and be weary about shops just pulling the frame back into place - else, this could lead to major issues with alignments down the road.

I had purchased a used car a few years ago that was hit straight on like your project. The dealer had the frame straightened but because of that - it caused me to purchase a lemon as there was noticeable issues with the car. Needless to say I was able to get a different car with no problems.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

that evo took a fairly straight on hit from what I can tell. A good bodyshop can bring that back to just about perfect. I wouldnt imagine fixing the body of that car would run over a few thousand dollars plus parts. good luck, would love to find a car like that for myself.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:21 AM

this is awsome..im looking for a rebiuld project soon...