Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What Coolant to go with? oil based? Water Based?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2011, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prestone 50/50, or you can mix whatever ratio you want yourself.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chu
I run the regular coolant/water mix. I run a 60/40 mix. Water is what does the cooling, not the coolant. That just prevents it from freezing. I'm also not a fan of additives.
Coolant also acts as a lubricant for the water pump
Old Apr 1, 2011, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chu
I run the regular coolant/water mix. I run a 60/40 mix. Water is what does the cooling, not the coolant. That just prevents it from freezing. I'm also not a fan of additives.
Would you recommend running 100% water during summer?
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rush63
Would you recommend running 100% water during summer?
coolant also acts as a corrosion inhibitor to your water passages, radiator core, water pump, etc, along with freeze protection. I would probably say go ahead and run 100% water when your racing it at the track, but for a dd evo, regardless of the season, you should be fine with 50/50,60/40 mix.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
How about water mixed with water wetter?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wizzo 8
How about water mixed with water wetter?
For a dd? If you do just remember to add the antifreeze before winter.

All you guys that want to run pure water on a dd is a bit overkill unless u live in really hot weather. Engines are designed to run best at certain temps, which doesn't always mean cold as possible. If ur coolant temps are around 200 but your egt or intake air temps and engine oil temps are all ok then ur fine. Like I have said before, log your coolant temps, if it seems excessive make sure first to inspect your cooling system is operating correctly. No point in using some super exotic coolant if all along you were just having a restriction in your radiator core or water pump going out. .02
Old Apr 2, 2011, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chu
Antifreeze also helps raise the boiling point of the system (along with pressure). A 50/50 mixture at 15 psi has a range of −34 °F (−37 °C) to +265 °F (129 °C). Straight water at 15 psi would boil at 250 °F.

I would stick with a 50/50 mixture, with the possible addition of Redline's Water Wetter or Royal Purple's Purple Ice - both of which I have had good luck with.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
coolant also acts as a corrosion inhibitor to your water passages, radiator core, water pump, etc, along with freeze protection. I would probably say go ahead and run 100% water when your racing it at the track, but for a dd evo, regardless of the season, you should be fine with 50/50,60/40 mix.
I know. Was just messing with the guy. Also lubricates water pump and increases boliling point of water just like what the guy above said.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

FWIW, about 2 years ago when I went in for a coolant flush to a Mitsubishi dealer, they told me the coolant they use has a mix of oil and detergents in it.
They said it helped to keep the internals in better shape as opposed to using a coolant like Prestone.

Now, whether that's true or not, I really don't know, but that's what they told me.

-Bink
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by binky
FWIW, about 2 years ago when I went in for a coolant flush to a Mitsubishi dealer, they told me the coolant they use has a mix of oil and detergents in it.
They said it helped to keep the internals in better shape as opposed to using a coolant like Prestone.
Now, whether that's true or not, I really don't know, but that's what they told me.

-Bink
This got me thinking as I've been using Prestone for the past 2 years.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
50/50 Prestone and DI water mix for over 130k. Never a cooling related issue. Coolant never browns or anything nasty. I generally flush twice a year
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by brand0n
No, No problems at all, was just looking into ways to stop from having your car get heat soaked at the track, and this was an option I had seen.

It wasnt an evo running the oil based coolant it was an rx7, I know two completely different cars, but that's why I posted up asking if anyone has ever switched over with their evo. I dont do a lot of racing, but just starting to really get into it, and just reading up on as much as I can.

Thanks!

-Brand0n
Are you sure you're not getting air/oil cooled and water cooled engines mixed up. In case of an RX-7 the engine is both oil and water cooled, water for the housing and oil for the rotors. I have never heard of anyone completely switching their cooling system from water to oil. Do you have any links that shows people are using oil base coolant in their cars? I don't know why anyone would do this.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Skim003
Are you sure you're not getting air/oil cooled and water cooled engines mixed up. In case of an RX-7 the engine is both oil and water cooled, water for the housing and oil for the rotors. I have never heard of anyone completely switching their cooling system from water to oil. Do you have any links that shows people are using oil base coolant in their cars? I don't know why anyone would do this.
Still waiting for my friend from Mazda speed to get back to me.

But it's not switching COMPLETELY over to oil Cooling system, just a Oil Based Cooling system. So like 60/40 cooling agent.

I will post up as soon as i find more!
Old Apr 6, 2011, 04:45 PM

Ive been using Prestone 50/50 since i got my Evo and never overheated even in the Florida heat, I recommend
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:33 PM

Water is the best heat exchanger period

Last edited by X91EVO; Apr 26, 2011 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: What Coolant to go with? oil based? Water Based?