Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lancer A/C compressor fit in evo ?

Old May 6, 2011, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lancer A/C compressor fit in evo ?

I've look around but haven't been really able to find an answer.. some car parts website show the same part number.. but people have said that it wouldn't fit.. so the question is..

Does the a/c compressor and possibly dryer, and condensor out of a lancer fit in an evo 8 ? mine is out and am going nuts trying to replace it all before it gets too hot and my daughter and myself melt in the car..
Old May 30, 2011, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

A few years back when my compressor went out, I did all I could to find out. I assume for the same reason you are now. I was unable to find a single compressor from anywhere but the dealership whether it be remanufactured or new. The remanufactured was more than enough to break me being nearly $700, not even including the clutch/pulley assembly. I tried all the major part stores and came up with a Delphi compressor with the clutch assembly included. The mounting looked to be the same and for less than half the dealer price, I decided to take a chance with it. When I got it home I closely compared it to what I had just removed from my car. As thought, the mounting was the same. The electrical connector plugged right up as well. However, once installed, I realized the belt would not fit. I can not remember if it was too long or short though. I took the compressor off to figure out that the clutch was completely different in size and design. I am sure I could of found a belt to fit but I was worried that the clutch would not work as needed for the evo. So, I removed the clutch assemblies from both the compressors, measured the shafts, and found them to be identical. I put the clutch from my original compressor on the new one and reinstalled it. Everything fit perfectly and after recharging the system, I had a/c again. I continued to have cold air for about a month until my belt shredded. The clutch/pulley locked up on me. Actually, it came apart as well. I am unsure of the reason for this. Although I don't believe it was, it could of been an installation error on my part. It is possible that my old clutch was already on it's last leg, failing due to normal wear. It may of been that the two assemblies were not as interchangeable as thought. Frustrated, I just deleted the a/c all together until I came across a deal on a low mile, stock compressor. I still feel that the compressor itself is the same between models but I can not promise success. I can say that I would definitely give it another try if and when this compressor fails. I apologize for my answer being so drawn out. I am sorry that after reading all of this, you are without a definite answer. I just wanted to be sure I provided you with enough detail so that you can make the decision without any surprises.

I will look to see if I still have the packaging or compressor itself somewhere. That way, I can provide you with the exact part #.

If you would like to know something more or have any questions, I will gladly help you out.

Also, if I was too late with my reply to your post, I am interested in knowing what you found out. If you came across a solution whether it be making the lancer compressor work or an aftermarket alternative to the oem, I would greatly appreciate any information.

Thanks, Ryan
Old May 31, 2011, 09:03 PM

sievers, dont know why that failed, but dang, that was pretty impressive to be able to run one and have it lasted even just for a bit of a while...
Old May 31, 2011, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i owned an oz lancer and did a 4g64 swap and was able to use the lancer compressor so i figure it should work on a 4g63 also unless the bracket is different?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:00 AM
Evolving Member

so from what I'm gathering from this a lancer compressor will fit onto the evo but Clutch part will not?? Mean you would have to take off the clutch on the lancer compressor and get a evo compessor clutch and bolt it on????
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:17 AM

I found a new compressor for my EVO 8 last year cheap at discountacparts.com/

I bought a kit with the expansion chamber, drier, and a few other parts for just over $400.00

Works fine, they have reman ones as well for less than $300.

God luck