Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

could not change oil filter! *help* :<

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could not change oil filter! *help* :<

I did my first 5000 mile oil change on the evo yesterday. I used 5 quarts of 5w-30 mobil 1 for the first oil change to see how it goes, I might try amsoil next time. I also bought an oem filter from mitsu for 8 bucks.

When I went to change the oil I noticed a white filter (guessing it was aftermarket, it looked a little longer than the oem one)... couldnt get it off... tried a filter wrench (one of those flexible plastic bands that wrap around it) and couldnt get it off with that either. So I just left the filter on and put the mobil 1 in since I had already emptied out the oil.

Should I take it to a shop and have them take it off? Any advice on getting it off? (and don't say 'just try harder').

Also, there was a wire-like thing attached to my oil drain plug, I have an 05 MR so I'm guessing that was the oil temperature reader or something? Anyone know what that is?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont know about the wire thing on the drain plug but you should go to autozone and pick up an oil filter wrench, its like giant pliers for the oil filter. that always works for me
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:45 AM
iy
Evolving Member

The way I've always done it is just hammer a big screw-driver through the filter, and use that to torque it off. Every stealership-installed filter I've had to do this. I think the instructions are something like "tighten for 1/2 turn after the O-ring seats", but usually I find that they're tightened like 5 turns after that point. Anyway, be careful doing this, try to hammer it in off-center so as not to damage the oil pickup in the center of the filter. YMMV!
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

The wire is your sensor for the Oil Temp Gauge.

As far as the filter goes...and I'm not flaming you here because Ive done this in the past myself...make sure you're turning it the right direction.

The other thing you may want to try is using a different type of oil filter wrench as the strap type can tend to slip.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Use Channel Locks or bang a damn screw driver through it. Can't see not being able to take a oil filter off.

MR's have factory gauges stock the drain bolt is the sender
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by iy
The way I've always done it is just hammer a big screw-driver through the filter, and use that to torque it off.
Originally Posted by Boostd4
The wire is your sensor for the Oil Temp Gauge
Damn posted as I was typing . Guys are quick man
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Make sure you use the right tools. Otherwise just bring it to some local shops with your engine oil stuff with you, I guess they can do it for you for a couple bucks.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Channel Locks work great in this application. Also, it helps if the car is warm, it softens the o-ring making the clamping force just a little lower.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:06 AM

I recommend going to the gym if you can't get a evo oil filter off.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Go to the gym and quit being a pu$$y...If you can't get your oil filter off then you shouldn't have an evo...

And as others already said, wire running into the drain plug is for your oil temp gauge...
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pliers work well for the oil filter removal. I always tighten with my hands after the change, because you don't need to tighten it that hard at all. Just enough so it seals well.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by iy
The way I've always done it is just hammer a big screw-driver through the filter, and use that to torque it off. Every stealership-installed filter I've had to do this. I think the instructions are something like "tighten for 1/2 turn after the O-ring seats", but usually I find that they're tightened like 5 turns after that point. Anyway, be careful doing this, try to hammer it in off-center so as not to damage the oil pickup in the center of the filter. YMMV!
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Use Channel Locks or bang a damn screw driver through it. Can't see not being able to take a oil filter off.

MR's have factory gauges stock the drain bolt is the sender
I dont know if the screwdriver idea is the best. I have seen a friend do that, then not be able to get the filter off.

OP, go to the parts store and get the oil filter wrench that connects to a 3/8 ratchet and clamps when you turn it to loosen it.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Put a bunch of rubber bands around the filter to help you get a good grip. And in the future you might want to go with K&N filters for the bolt to help you get it off.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Looks like pretty good suggestions. I like the Channel Lock method best

Remember / righty tighty lefty loosey
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I use left-over sand paper. Just get a piece that is enough to wrap around the filter. Then use both hands to turn it. I had to use the screwdrive to punch through it before but only in very rare cases.

Quick Reply: could not change oil filter! *help* :<