Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo 8 capabilities

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2011, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo 8 capabilities

Hey guys I currently drive an 04 wrx wagon with just about every "bolt on". In Spokane there is a dude on Craigslist that is looking to possibly trade is 03 evo 8 for a wrx.

Here is the link: http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/2525591638.html

I am not thrilled about the mods on this car. I know nothing about evo's, but i know with my closed loop ecu i would need a tune for these stupid "bolt ons". Is this the case with the evo too?

Anyway my wrx will easily over 300 whp(with meth) on any conservative dyno but i will not go any higher than 290ish because I am not lookin to rebuild or do an engine or tranny swap yet.

I am lookin for some info on about how much this particular evo can safely put down without having to rebuild anything internally. Also about how much it would take to get there.

One last thing is i do my own work on my car minus the tune, but I heard evos were slightly more annoying/difficult to work on do to much more wiring and electronics etc. Anyone who has experience on both with input on this would be appreciated.

Thanks to anyone who can give me some feed back and not "Evo is waaayy better than the wrx!" comments
Old Aug 6, 2011, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Looks like a decent car, I'd say a test drive would give you the best idea on whether the car is worth it or not. There are a few things to look out for on the car, mainly I'd check maintenance records and see that the 60k maintenance has been done properly. Transfercase whine and tranny problems are unfortunately common, even more so with 03 models I've been told. I've seen Evos make 400-500 to the wheels with stock internals, but I guess it depends on the tune and what you do with it. Just test drive and read the newbie section and get as much info out of there you can. Also a carfax wouldn't hurt to verify the status of the title.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 02:19 PM

Tranny problems as in the tranny just wearing out quickly or they cant handle too much power? Already looked up a few evo 8's on your guys proven power bragging section with some very impressive numbers.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

If he is the original owner and those are the only power mods the car has seen, I would feel fairly confident in that evo being 'drama' free.