Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Milky white substance in oil

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milky white substance in oil

A few months i purchased a BR catch can because i was having issues with blow by from crank case pressure...Anyways, i did a oil change today and when i opened the oil cap i noticed this milky white stuff all over it and all on the inside of the valve cover...It was also all over the dipstick when i pulled it out as well...When i drained the oil it looked like any ordinary old oil but this still concerns me...What i came up with is that due to that fact that the catch can gets hot and cold while driving it has to build up excessive condensation which then turns into water...The BR can drains back into the pan so i'm assuming i have water in my oil...Any thoughts/opinions??? Thanks
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Head gasket is blown
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, run a compression check and pull the plugs to be sure.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
There is not enough volume of air that can condense in the catch can to have a significant effect on the oil. The catch can should not be empty anyway it should have an oil absorbing material to filter the air coming out.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:31 PM

Hmmm yea??? I don't have any smoke out the tail pipe and i don't think i'm losing any coolant...I guess its possible tho...I'll have to do a compression test next time i get a chance
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Are you on e85 by any chance ?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:38 PM

No...just 93...Also the oil that was drained seemed fine which leads me to believe its condensation...I would think if it were a blow head gasket that the oil itself would be milky...I very well could be wrong tho
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

oh boy sounds like a blown headgasket . any white smoke??
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:28 PM

its def the head gasket, that is the number one cause when your oil is milky
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by djikonatx
oh boy sounds like a blown headgasket . any white smoke??
No white smoke or lose of coolant...Car runs fine
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:24 AM

Are you still on stock head studs? I ended up lifting my head briefly and blew out two freeze plugs on the freeway. More serious than what you have but: I replaced them and the car idled fine in the garage but I didn't want to drive it because I had the same symptoms as you. Oil was fine when drained but the dipstick and oil cap had milky oil on them. Replaced the slightly blown headgasket and headstuds and saved money because I didn't drive it making it worse and need any machine work done. I hope I'm wrong but better safe than sorry!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:47 AM
Evolved Member

i had the buschur catch can. this happened to me twice before i got rid of the can. i even ran it with the bottom of the can capped off and put my stock dip stick back on, still got milky gunk in the can.

steps to take:
1: get rid of the catch can.

2: get seafoam and put it in the oil fill (1/3 of the can). start the car and let it run for 15 min. shut the car off and change oil/filter. this will get rid of the white stuff and ensure the new oil will not b contaminated.

the way the instructions r they have u cap the intake manifold connection and the intake pipe connection. this leaves u with no suction so the can just fills with vapor and water from heating up and cooling down.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by evoxsi
i had the buschur catch can. this happened to me twice before i got rid of the can. i even ran it with the bottom of the can capped off and put my stock dip stick back on, still got milky gunk in the can.

steps to take:

2: get seafoam and put it in the oil fill (1/3 of the can). start the car and let it run for 15 min. shut the car off and change oil/filter. this will get rid of the white stuff and ensure the new oil will not b contaminated.

the way the instructions r they have u cap the intake manifold connection and the intake pipe connection. this leaves u with no suction so the can just fills with vapor and water from heating up and cooling down.
Here's the thread where you and another member talk about it...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...catch-can.html

post #21 and 22
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first logical approach would be certain you have the catch can installed properly and the crank case is in fact, being vented to allow moisture to escape.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by evoxsi

steps to take:

Funny you mention capping off the bottom and putting stock dipstick back on...I was literally just gonna pull my car in the garage and do that...So pretty much worthless huh??? Also after i noticed this i did seafoam the hell outta the car...I'm gonna keep a close eye on it and probably compression test it just to be on the safe side...I guess i'll try taking off the $250 paperweight of a catch can and see if that helps...Did you replace it with anything else after you took yours off???

Quick Reply: Milky white substance in oil