Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Exhaust, what is this pipe?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust, what is this pipe?

So I tried to take pictures but they didn't really turn out, if you can't understand this at all I'll take more. So when I bought the exhaust off a member on here I was told the test pipe I was getting was resonated. The pipe I got does not look at all like a resonated pipe, instead it bulges out just a little bit from where a normal 3 inch pipe would be (.25 to half and inch) and on the inside I can see a bunch of bumps/knobs inside the bulged area of the pipe (bulge goes entire length of test pipe minus half an inch on either end. Is this some type of cat, or some specially built resonated pipe? Any clues? Its an AMS exhaust, but the pipe looks like it maybe made by someone else.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's exactly what you were told, a resonated pipe. The pipe you are describing is called a resonator. It's very common to add them to an exhaust to quiet it down.
Here's a quick link to a pic I found on Google...
Old Jan 3, 2012, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wazzelby
It's exactly what you were told, a resonated pipe. The pipe you are describing is called a resonator. It's very common to add them to an exhaust to quiet it down.
Here's a quick link to a pic I found on Google...
doesn't look like that. Got a PM from the guy though, he says its a custom made resonated pipe, heres a link to the guy he said that made it. I know what a normal resonated pipe looks like which is why this one confused me. He says its a solid stainless steel resonated pipe so we'll see, looks good though. http://myworld.ebay.com/exhaustdr2n7...id=p4340.l2559
Old Jan 3, 2012, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Post pictures. Obviously if it's a custom-made resonator than it's not made by AMS

Should have just bought a tried-and-true resonator instead of some custom one
Old Jan 4, 2012, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

If it looks like the one on the right, then you got a louvered core. It's a little more quieter, but at the expense of exhaust flow vs. a perferated core.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust, what is this pipe?-perf-louvered.jpg  
Old Jan 5, 2012, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbolarry
If it looks like the one on the right, then you got a louvered core. It's a little more quieter, but at the expense of exhaust flow vs. a perferated core.
So ditch it and get a normal test pipe?