Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Don't trust anyone with your car...sigh

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't trust anyone with your car...sigh

I left my car with a friend in an underground garage so it would be safe while I was out of the country for over a month.

He didn't drive it much at all, as requested, but the front mudguard came loose, and since he was getting married that weekend, he did something really stupid and then asked his friend to get it fixed before I got back.

His idiot friend then proceeded to hit my car on a curb, so the whole left front got pulled down and bent. He then proceeded to get it fixed cheaply and hoped we both wouldn't notice.

Well, I did notice and I was f'ing furious, not just at him, but at my friend for even letting the other guy near my car. To make things even worse, my friend was covered under my insurance, but the other guy wasn't.

Basically, I've got to take the whole front end apart, get everything checked, probably take the engine out and replace the top part of the engine bay and support struts. My car was pristine before, so I expect nothing less back. My friend feels pretty bad about it and promised to pay to have it restored perfectly.

Anybody had similar damage before and do you have any idea on the cost of parts like that?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

I let my friend borrow one of my cars (manual transmission) and when I got it back 5th gear grinded in every time. I preceded to sell the car after that. I was very very pissed, I feel your pain
Old Jan 5, 2012, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sucks. I really hope your friend goes through with paying for it.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Atleast he tried to get it fixed. It sucks it was in a cheap way.. But at least it shows he cares. Hope it all works out for you, sir.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

That's terrible. I've also learned this lesson though. Let my friend drive my evo to go get tires put on and he was banging the gears out the whole way. Like why the hell would you do that if it's not your car...
Old Jan 5, 2012, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Was his idiot friend female? Sorry had too :P
Old Jan 5, 2012, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

That blows! Number one reason I don't trust anyone with my car, just performance shops.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

Don't look too far into it. No the engine doesn't need to come out lol
I highly doubt he blew the struts by hitting a curb.
Most likely you need a front end alignment and check the rims to ensure no bends and probably re-balance them.
Any person with any common sense can reinstall a mudflap also. Your probably talking a couple hundred dollars.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Remixx02
Atleast he tried to get it fixed. It sucks it was in a cheap way.. But at least it shows he cares. Hope it all works out for you, sir.
By "fixed" I mean he got it done at a cheap local workshop where they just sort of bodged it all together again and sprayed it without even bothering to measure anything. They may as well have used gaffa tape. In fact that might have been better as it would have been easier to take apart again.

Everything, including the anti-roll bar and front suspension is out of alignement now, with the end result that the car pulls to the right. The hood doesn't even close properly. Everything, including the engine has to come out and it's gonna take anywhere up to 2 weeks.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:15 PM

Sorry to hear man, hope she gets back to you soon good as new.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by johnnydemz4G63
That blows! Number one reason I don't trust anyone with my car, just performance shops.
Thats highly debateable depending on shop. Everyone has a horror story about a shop. SOme way more then less.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Esvees
By "fixed" I mean he got it done at a cheap local workshop where they just sort of bodged it all together again and sprayed it without even bothering to measure anything. They may as well have used gaffa tape. In fact that might have been better as it would have been easier to take apart again.

Everything, including the anti-roll bar and front suspension is out of alignement now, with the end result that the car pulls to the right. The hood doesn't even close properly. Everything, including the engine has to come out and it's gonna take anywhere up to 2 weeks.

Damn.. Nevermind then.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Thats highly debateable depending on shop. Everyone has a horror story about a shop. SOme way more then less.
Thats true in so many ways, unless you got history with your shop that you souly deal with and never had any issues.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

wow thats alot of damage, good luck to you brotha. hope everything works out
Old Jan 6, 2012, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
SUX man, i hope it works out for you. Only person I would trust with my evo would be my brother. I tried letting my gf drive it but i cant get the angles into her head... (sits lowerd with a lip.)</p>