Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

cold start issues

Old Apr 9, 2012, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold start issues

so my car recently has been stalling/low idle... only thing i did was bought gas that day. car was stalling when i would come to a stop or park in reverse. i kind of fixed the issue but not really. found out there was a bad egr vacuum hose that was dry rotted and cracked. fixed my idling issue a bit.

next day i try to start the car in the morning it would just die right away or really struggling to stay running. but after it warms up it stays in idle fine. but sometimes when you try to park idle will go down a bit and may stall. i replaced a coolant temp sensor that day thinking it might have gone bad. drove for a while seemed fine.

next day on i get the same cold start/rough idle. i honestly cant figure out what the issue is. no vacuum leak at all. i've checked the iac and it doesnt seem to look worn. the parking issue is kinda still there.. would sometime stall when i try to parallel park.

driving and everything is fine just the cold start and parking issue. not sure what that could be. can anybody help figure this problem?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check front o2, sounds similar to symptoms that I was having when my front sensor went bad on me.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:19 AM

hmm i didn't know o2 sensors effect the symptoms i have. but i'll give it a check tomorrow.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:30 AM

Are you positive there are no vacuum leaks? I had a similar situation where the vacuum hose on the egr valve blew off from boost,and it wasn't throwing a code until a few days later.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have this same issue! Whenever it's about to die, I rev it to keep it alive.. but if i blip the gas peddle too hard it will actually stall on its way down in rpms everytime, so I end up trying to save it 5 times in a row lol. Need to fix this soon..
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:15 AM

Check the biss screw
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like the iac is going. Mine did the same thing. Die on start up unless gas was applied.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SunnyC
so my car recently has been stalling/low idle... only thing i did was bought gas that day. car was stalling when i would come to a stop or park in reverse. i kind of fixed the issue but not really. found out there was a bad egr vacuum hose that was dry rotted and cracked. fixed my idling issue a bit.

next day i try to start the car in the morning it would just die right away or really struggling to stay running. but after it warms up it stays in idle fine. but sometimes when you try to park idle will go down a bit and may stall. i replaced a coolant temp sensor that day thinking it might have gone bad. drove for a while seemed fine.

next day on i get the same cold start/rough idle. i honestly cant figure out what the issue is. no vacuum leak at all. i've checked the iac and it doesnt seem to look worn. the parking issue is kinda still there.. would sometime stall when i try to parallel park.

driving and everything is fine just the cold start and parking issue. not sure what that could be. can anybody help figure this problem?
1. It could be a number of issues... things mentioned and many more.
2. Is the car throwing any codes? Do you have the CEL disabled at all?
3. What modifications are done to the car?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:11 PM

Yes I'm sure there is no vacuum leak.. I repaired that only vacuum hose to the egr from the solenoid.

Biss screw I sprayed it down, nothing and around throttle body.

IAC stepper I've removed and check resistance and he teethe all in tact.

Car is no throwing any codes whatsoever. And it isn't disabled for anything. As for mods, just the pipings, ebc, boost/widband gauges, and cone filter with adapter. Before the car would have a lopey idle like I had cams. But figured it out that it was the egr line I fixed and I idles perfect when warms up. Just sometimes it's stalls when parking and especially first start in the morning it dies right away.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:48 AM

anybody want to chime in on this issue? need help still.. out of ideas.

also have a question, if i put in bigger injectors and set the latency will it effect the tune? cause i know the tuner had to make it a bit richer because car was running kinda lean and i guess the injectors were getting maxed out. but this did not effect the stalling issue because the tune was done a long time ago.

same goes for SD, would a tune be needed if just did the ecuflash mods?

Last edited by SunnyC; Apr 11, 2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: added
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It may be worth speaking to your tuner, or a reputable tuner about the tune. Perhaps the car isn't set up properly now after some time?

What do your spark plugs look like?
Old May 22, 2014, 07:47 AM

Did you ever fix the problem? I'm having a similar issue with my VIII. I've checked the IAC and even the TPS (just in case) and they are both fine. Can't find any vacuum leaks and just recently replaced the EGR vacuum hose (it blew off while on the dyno haha). O2 sensor maybe? Car is on speed density and tuned. Any thoughts?
Old May 22, 2014, 07:57 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
boost leak test?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 05:33 PM

I'm having the same problem. Car will run fine (a bit of a lopey idle) after it warms up, but on cold start, it goes down to 400rpms and then will bounce between that and 2500rpms for a couple of minutes until warms up and I can't drive away until it's warm.

I've checked the IAC and it's good. Also replaced the TPS (just in case). I can't log the car cause I don't have a Tactix. I've also had it checked for boost and vacuum leaks, and it comes up clean.

Mods are:
FMIC w/ upper and lower short piping
TiAL Q BOV
Spoolin' up coilpacks
AEM 320 fuel pump
Upgrade to Evo 9 turbo
Omni 4 bar MAP
Turbo XS boost controller
Turbo back exhaust

Car is tuned on speed density, 93 and 26lbs.

Any ideas? Please help!

Last edited by mitsusailor; Jun 21, 2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsusailor
I'm having the same problem. Car will run fine (a bit of a lopey idle) after it warms up, but on cold start, it goes down to 400rpms and then will bounce between that and 2500rpms for a couple of minutes until warms up and I can't drive away until it's warm.

I've checked the IAC and it's good. Also replaced the TPS (just in case). I can't log the car cause I don't have a Tactix. I've also had it checked for boost and vacuum leaks, and it comes up clean.

Mods are:
FMIC w/ upper and lower short piping
TiAL Q BOV
Spoolin' up coilpacks
AEM 320 fuel pump
Upgrade to Evo 9 turbo
Omni 4 bar MAP
Turbo XS boost controller
Turbo back exhaust

Car is tuned on speed density, 93 and 26lbs.

Any ideas? Please help!
Likely related to the tune, that is saying without seeing the tune.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cold start issues