Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 not starting?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2012, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 not starting?

Has anybody ever went to start there car and it won't start at all. Battery is fine, won't jump start, neutral safety is working fine. It has done this a couple times this year. Had to push dame car and pop clutch and started right up. Once it did it and I turned key to start really quick and it started. Just wondering if it is the starting signs of my ignition going out. Everything turns on ie radio, fuel pump and all the normal stuff. Thanks David.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

just encountered this problem and it was my starter! Its got a short so here and there itll start and here and there it wont so ill rock it or push like you. do you hear just a click when you turn the ignition and no response (other than fuel pump kicking in)?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

It did it last night when I got off work. I did hear a little click on the other side of fire wall. But just turned it key to start a few times then it turned over. Might be starter I'm to jack it up and check starter out.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

I had this problem intermittently for a while and it progressively got worse and worse.

Same exact situation as yours and here's what was wrong with mine

Name:  IMAG0165.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  62.1 KB

The plastic part here you see had been cracked in the small opening there and worn and somehow wasn't turning far enough to connect the circuits to start. Easy to check, so check this part.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just cause the battery has 12v doesn't mean you have enough amperage to turn the starter, check your charging system, if all that is good then you check your starter. Of you can just change part by part till you find the problem
Old Jul 6, 2012, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

if you put it into second and rock the car back and forth do you hear the starter "getting unstuck?"
Old Jul 6, 2012, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Where is the plastic part located? And did you replace it?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
That plastic is the actual ignition switch... it's what theives pry off to start the car with a screwdriver... Where you place your key is the lock cylinder... follow the lock cylinder to the other end and you will find the ignition switch.

But first... What happens when you turn the key?

Here are your options...

A Car starts (no problem, move on with your life)
B You hear a "Click" and your radio/lights dim
C Nothing, no click, nothing changes at all.

It could be Your starter, your starter solonoid, your starter relay, your ignition switch.... the above will help with a diagnosis.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

I've herad just a real lite clicking and radio dims and clock but then if I try it again no click but stuff still dims. Thanks for info it is really apreciated.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Battery or Alternator...

Take it to any autozone, checker, etc, and have them check your battery and charging system.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Dave
I've herad just a real lite clicking and radio dims and clock but then if I try it again no click but stuff still dims. Thanks for info it is really apreciated.
i am having the same problem and i have had this problem before. I replaced my started last year and it didn't fix the problem.

I have a codemaster alarm system and i have a feeling that may be the problem. gone take it out and see if the car starts up
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Well my car has been starting fine the past few weeks. Went out of town to ID and had no problem and then couple days after I got back it started doing it again. No clicks no nothing:-( then yesterday it let me down at a stop light:-( but had buddy behind me so just push started it. It seems to be acting up more now when it's REALLY HOT out. Last couple days it's been 100+ don't really know if that's problem with starter or what. But it starts fine when the engine is cold???? Please let me know what you find out. I'm about to replace starter if cant find something else wrong or at least get mine check. Good luck:-)
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Oh yea forgot to mention a couple of times it didn't want to turn over so put in 2nd an rocked it back and forth a couple of times and then it started right up. Which is kinda leading me to the starter solenoid since heat seems to be playing a roll in it also.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 09:50 PM

im sure dirty dave hasnt been on for a while but, what was the solution?

sold the car?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:55 AM
Evolving Member

Replacing The ignition switch seems to be the best cure

Quick Reply: Evo 8 not starting?