Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Speed brake wobble! Just installed new coilovers.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2013, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed brake wobble! Just installed new coilovers.

Well as the description states, I just installed new coilovers on the front of my evo8 and I don't have them dropped or anything. Their actually higher in the front now then in the back because I didn't have time to put the rear ones in or adjust the front ones. Question is, do you have to retighten the top bolts on top of the strut due to them being fresh paint and I'd imagine they might wobble a little loose. Or can my car being raised in the front have anything to do with it? I will be checking my rotors tomarrow also to make sure their not warped... All I do to test that is spin them around and make sure they don't get caught up on the pads right? Thanks alot . I will keep everyone updated on my findings tomarrow
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
as long as the rotors are torqued spinning them will do well enough i suppose... a dial indicator would do ya better...

depending on how offset the suspension is it would cause a wobble... the front being higher would throw off the caster angle.

it will also throw off the aero of the front end causing a lift at speed... idk how fast you drove though...

personally i would go back and check all torque specs... set the suspension to the proper ride height... test to ensure there is no wobble... then set it to you prefered settings and get an alignment...

the last part being the far most important if you intend to keep tires for more then a few weeks at a time
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

It's when I was on the highway 70+ an hitting the brakes tho that's why I don't know exactly what it is yet but I will be buying some new tires in a few weeks then ill get an alignment for sure
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
by the sound of that i would say change your brake fluid... get your rotors turned... and toss on some new pads... but a speed wobble and a braking pulsation are completely different issues...
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Also does anyone know the torque specs on the top 3 14s for the strut?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joseph143
by the sound of that i would say change your brake fluid... get your rotors turned... and toss on some new pads... but a speed wobble and a braking pulsation are completely different issues...
It's weird tho because its only when braking at high speed . If I'm braking in town it's fine
Old Apr 13, 2013, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If the brakes pulsate when you hit it at high speed, you're probably feeling the abs
Old Apr 13, 2013, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by 701evo
Also does anyone know the torque specs on the top 3 14s for the strut?
Tight lol. Don't think I've ever torqued a shock/strut in my entire wrenching life

Torquing strut bolts is not going to solve your issue trust me.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

High speed brake wobble is almost 100% due to warped rotors. Runnout on a warped rotor doesn't have to be very much to cause a high speed wobble, and you still won't feel it in town. If you're getting it in the brake pedal and/or steering wheel, it's from the front. If you feel it in the seat, it's from the rear. Most of the time it will be the front.

The only other possibility if it isn't in the braking system, would have to be the change in your suspension geometry (in my opinion). With the new coilovers and no alignment, now all 3 front suspension alignment specs will be out. Most importantly being camber. Front end riding high will give you excessive positive camber and as mentioned above, will wear out those tires. But at highway speeds, with the tires leaning excessively outwards, and toe not properly being set, the tires could be fighting the road while heading straight and any sudden weight shift due to braking could cause the wobble.

Just my 2 cents on the issue. I've dealt with alot of modified suspension alignment issues at my shop before. Keep us posted.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Well after I took it back to my shop today I jacked the car up took both wheels on the front off and put them back on. Okay here's what I think was the issue. So I had the oem mitsu locking lug nuts. Lost te key ofcourse! So I had 4 lugs on the right tire and 5 on the left. So I tightened the right wheel with 4 lugs then just did some in town diriving just to feel out the coils. Then got a lug nut and tightened it on. So I think it had something to do with that . Also I lowered the front just a tinge and tightened the top 3 bolts a little bit more, seemed to fix the issue so far. I got up to about 90 and hit the brakes and didnt seem to get a shake in my steering wherl
Old Apr 13, 2013, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

what are your alignment spec?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
what are your alignment spec?
I haven't aligned it yet. I have to order my hankooks first!
Old Apr 13, 2013, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 701evo
Well after I took it back to my shop today I jacked the car up took both wheels on the front off and put them back on. Okay here's what I think was the issue. So I had the oem mitsu locking lug nuts. Lost te key ofcourse! So I had 4 lugs on the right tire and 5 on the left. So I tightened the right wheel with 4 lugs then just did some in town diriving just to feel out the coils. Then got a lug nut and tightened it on. So I think it had something to do with that . Also I lowered the front just a tinge and tightened the top 3 bolts a little bit more, seemed to fix the issue so far. I got up to about 90 and hit the brakes and didnt seem to get a shake in my steering wherl
This isn't a honda, please drive with all 5 lug nuts.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SaulHudson
This isn't a honda, please drive with all 5 lug nuts.
No ****. Sorry napa didnt have lug nuts available till the next day
Old Apr 14, 2013, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

new coilovers and no alignment = all bets off

Quick Reply: Speed brake wobble! Just installed new coilovers.