Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Metal chain like noise while cruising

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Metal chain like noise while cruising

So yesterday I was driving and while driving I heard this chain like noise or like thin metal bouncing around, it happens when I'm in any gear and let go off the gas pedal... I'll try to record the noise tomorrow because I'm at work atm. Any idea what it could be? Noise started about a week ago maybe at the most. Any ideas what it could be? Oh it doesn't happen when I'm in neutral, only when I'm in gear. Some imput would be greatly appreciated, don't want to do any damage to my vehicle but it is my DD...

Also any shops that have experience working on evos, recommend taking my car to for like diagnosing noises? And mechanical work? I can do most work myself just a few things I haven't. I'm located in Santa Rosa, CA
Old Jan 2, 2014, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

If the noise is occurring while you're in a gear, it sounds like it is mostly drivetrain related. Post a clip of the noise. Its going to be hard to determine otherwise.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 04:40 PM

Ok so it doesn't happen in all gears... It happened in 3rd and sometimes 2nd. It heard it happened when I engaged the clutch and applied the breaks while slowing down. But also happened when just applying the break.Only happens when the car is in motion. Doesn't happen all the time though. Gonna Check out my pads even though I have plenty of life left on them. Hard to get a video because I have to have the window down but it's to windy to hear it... Will keep trying to get a god video of the sound.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Stock exhaust with heat shields?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 04:51 PM

I do have a heat shield rattle but only makes a sound when I turn off the engine, I have tanabe exhaust btw
Old Jan 3, 2014, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it an 03?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 05:35 PM

2006 Wicked white evo 9 GSR...
Old Jan 3, 2014, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I had a metal rattle noise, but I found out my HFCs inside were all mussed up so it is now gutted and no more rattle. You should check yours. It might be that simple also. Let us know what you find.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 05:52 PM

High flow cat? Lol idk to many terms haha but if yea I have a test pipe
Old Jan 3, 2014, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Wapoosh
I do have a heat shield rattle but only makes a sound when I turn off the engine, I have tanabe exhaust btw
Well, maybe it has decided not to follow that rule anymore.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 08:27 PM

Ok so I cannot get a video of the sound because every time I try it's just to windy and you can't really hear it... But it kinda sounds like when your brake pads gets low and the metal on metal contact but very very light sounding it's going in a circle... It weird because it doesn't happen all the time. Any other inputs on this without hearing I know it's hard to tell... Only
Happens in gear I've heard it in 3rd and I think in 1st not sure bout that, when in gear foot off pedal letting it slow down on it's own. Anyone know of a good evo shop near Santa Rosa that can give it a look?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine was doing something similar, and it happened to be the resonator in my exhaust... chopped it out and replaced with regular pipe and no more issues...
Old Jan 9, 2014, 09:08 AM

Ok this is going to sounds very dumb... But I have a test pipe and tanabe exhaust, I don't think I have a resonator. You think the tanabe exhaust is resonated? Im not sure if this noise happened before but I got my exhaust cut and welded at a different angle because it was touching my rear bumper.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 07:23 AM

I had this problem with an Audi S3 : Clutch, Rotation with ball, Crankcase of box ?
i'm thinking if you wait too long time, the noise will going to be all the time.
The following users liked this post:
RussianEVO (Apr 18, 2019)
Old Jan 13, 2014, 01:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trust me, its the prop shaft, check the busings or just replace it. U can find many on ebay under 200$

Quick Reply: Metal chain like noise while cruising