Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Intermittent starting issue

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Intermittent starting issue

My car has been having starting issues lately. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't. When it does, it sounds normal and starts quick. When it doesn't I hear the solenoid click and it just doesn't do anything. The dash lights dim when it won't start but the car won't turn over.

I figured the starter had a dead spot so I got a remanufactured one from advance. Put it on and I have the same problem. When it won't start, if I put the car in first gear and rock the car back and forth the car will start.

So I started testing and found that I have battery voltage to the starter, .5v dropped on ground side, and source voltage is 12.6v.

Now I know there is a chance that I may have gotten a faulty part, just wondering if I should check anything else before I go change out the starter again.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:16 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
you need to pull the starter and check your flywheel teeth. You may have lost a few.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the same issue. my problem is the little (signal/or ground wire not sure) clipped wired that clips onto the starter. mine is loose and moves around so vibrations cause it to lose contact.

next time it happens, try this.

pop hood, reach in there and push down the clip and make sure its tight. then try to start. if it doesnt work go to plan b

plan b which always works for me is just turn the key off and back on until it starts. at about the 4th or 5th time it usually cranks. but just keep trying till it cranks.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05VIII
i have the same issue. my problem is the little (signal/or ground wire not sure) clipped wired that clips onto the starter. mine is loose and moves around so vibrations cause it to lose contact.

next time it happens, try this.

pop hood, reach in there and push down the clip and make sure its tight. then try to start. if it doesnt work go to plan b

plan b which always works for me is just turn the key off and back on until it starts. at about the 4th or 5th time it usually cranks. but just keep trying till it cranks.
I have heard of people having connection issues with the signal wire, I didn't think about that. Which is funny because there have been a few instances where if I continuously cycle the key it will eventually turn over.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by josh_evo9
I have heard of people having connection issues with the signal wire, I didn't think about that. Which is funny because there have been a few instances where if I continuously cycle the key it will eventually turn over.
it could also be the ignition switch. i believe its mrfred that has a thread about it. the plastic ignition switch is held inplace by one screw. over time it moves just a tiny bit which will cause a no start. easy check, pop your column off and look on the left side of the steering wheel. you will see the plastic ignition switch held in by one torx screw(IIRC)

wiggle it around and see if it causes the issue.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05VIII
it could also be the ignition switch. i believe its mrfred that has a thread about it. the plastic ignition switch is held inplace by one screw. over time it moves just a tiny bit which will cause a no start. easy check, pop your column off and look on the left side of the steering wheel. you will see the plastic ignition switch held in by one torx screw(IIRC)

wiggle it around and see if it causes the issue.
Cool, I'll check that out also. Thanks
Old Jun 25, 2014, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was also going to suggest you look at the ignition switch. At times my car will give me feedback similar to what you're going through. 90% of the time it just requires a reseating of the key.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Ok I'll check out the ignition switch. Yesterday I measured 9.5v to the starter from the signal wire. Thinking I may also have a bad connection somewhere
Old Jun 26, 2014, 08:51 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by josh_evo9
Ok I'll check out the ignition switch. Yesterday I measured 9.5v to the starter from the signal wire. Thinking I may also have a bad connection somewhere
I had a problem with my ignition switch. The contacts had corroded. You can actually take it apart and use some sand paper, or emory cloth and clean up the contact and put it back together. Be careful taking it apart, there are these little metal ***** like to go flying.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

I had this problem. Ended up being the ignition switch screw. I do think it's a fairly common problem on 9's in particular. I reclocked and retorqued the screw and haven't had a single issue since.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have this exact same problem, too. I'm hoping it's just as simple as the ignition switch or the wire on the starter as mentioned above.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Today I verified that it isn't the neutral safety switch, and the circuit from the signal wire to the relay is good. So I checked the ignition to find that it was loose and movable. So I turned it fully clockwise and tightened the hell out of the screw. So far the car had been starting right up. But I may have just been getting lucky earlier. Either way I'm good for now
Old Oct 3, 2016, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Still having this problem lol. Been through 3 starters and 2 batteries. My car was just meant to leave me stranded. Can anyone post a picture of where the starter relay is? And any specific grounding wires I should check? Only ground wire I recall off the dome is at the intake manifold. Gonna start looking for bad ground connections.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
There's another big ground on a bell housing to engine bolt, top front of the bell housing. I think if this main ground didn't get reconnected after a clutch change you would have fried something by now.

BTW, I fixed my starting issue this summer by replacing the ignition switch. My symptom was turn key nothing, turn key again maybe start normally.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Have you read this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ied-fixed.html

John-

Quick Reply: Intermittent starting issue