Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just bought an Evo, not sure about whining sound

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just bought an Evo, not sure about whining sound

I just picked up an Evo finally! But theres some things that just kind of got me feeling weird.

The car makes a whining sound, I'm not sure if its the BOV since its vented or if its the TC whine. I don't have the recirc kit so I can't recirc the BOV. Surprisingly the car doesn't die even though its vented like it did in my GSX.

IS there a way to check out if the TC is bad? I'm going to run all new fluids etc, my GSx made a whine too but usually not in gear. There two types of whining sounds that I'm hearing on youtube clips and it doesn't sound like either. But at the same time it doesn't sound like the GSX whine I got from the BOV. I can try to make a video, but not sure if you can hear the sound.

Its got me paranoid.

Also the brake pedal doesn't seem to have any travel. The Evo I test drove before had brake travel.. so I'm not sure how the brakes are supposed to feel.

GLad to finally have an EVO! Will post pictures up tomororw

Last edited by vr4gasmtt; Sep 27, 2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

At what speeds are you hearing the whining from? Is it making it when your accelerating?decel? Can you tell if it sounds like its from the rear or more towards the front?

If its hard to distinguish I recommend pulling the rear seat bench and backrest out and take it for a drive. If its the rear diff you will tell right away with the rear seat out.

Also, the whining noise could be an aftermarket fuel pump. Post up a video if you can.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:06 AM
Evolving Member

I'll have to make a video tomorrow.

I just got the car so I'm not driving it hard, its making the sound at low speeds less than 30mph, its making it on decel but it could be accel also, the exhaust is pretty loud so I can't really hear it on accel. I'll do the backseat thing in the morning, as for the fuel pump, everything is stock besides fujita intake, intercooler piping, bov, and full turboback exhaust.

Kind of freaking me out since some of the whine videos on youtube are obvious and other videos i can't hear a whine but the video says the TC is bad.

The cars running really rich, and the 02 sensor just went out .. I'll need to get the car tuned immediately and hopefully get the car checked out there also.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get used to hearing weird noises . I was constantly turning the radio down because I was always hearing things.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Fwiw, Aftermarket aluminum driveshaft support bushings can create a whining noise on decel. These evos can make all kinds of odd noises. I got ocd about it and decided to take it upon myself to try and eliminate as much of those noises getting into the cabin. I only added maybe a few ounces of weight with the foam I was using, but now the cabin is much quieter.

If you suspect a driveline component bad, you can check the magnets on the drain plugs and see if there is excessive metal shavings. Alot of folks with aftermarket clutches complain about noises, I dont have a super crazy clutch so Im not familiar with those types of noises.

Ive also had a whining noise decel around 30-20 mph or so, that actually was from the transmission due to the fluid I was using. Im now using Motul in my 5 speed with no issues. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CDHoff
Get used to hearing weird noises . I was constantly turning the radio down because I was always hearing things.
Yah I haven't been driving with the radio, the cars loud so it's hard to hear the whine/whistle.

So I made a video but I can't hear it on the video.. The whine seems to be coming from the front what would cause this sound if it's not the transfer case? is there any way to check the transfercase without hearing it?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
Fwiw, Aftermarket aluminum driveshaft support bushings can create a whining noise on decel. These evos can make all kinds of odd noises. I got ocd about it and decided to take it upon myself to try and eliminate as much of those noises getting into the cabin. I only added maybe a few ounces of weight with the foam I was using, but now the cabin is much quieter.

If you suspect a driveline component bad, you can check the magnets on the drain plugs and see if there is excessive metal shavings. Alot of folks with aftermarket clutches complain about noises, I dont have a super crazy clutch so Im not familiar with those types of noises.

Ive also had a whining noise decel around 30-20 mph or so, that actually was from the transmission due to the fluid I was using. Im now using Motul in my 5 speed with no issues. Hope this helps.
Thanks for replying. I will check that out when I change all the fluids.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Had a whining noise as well, changed all fluids with Amsoil fluid and dont hear much whining anymore
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Cool

Evos and noises

Seated in my car the other day, engine off and car in the garage, I was trying extract my hip pocket wallet. I heard this loud moaning creaking noise. I sat still and it stopped. I moved and the noise was back. Oh, my, the suspension is falling off.

I seemed to be coming from the rear so I got out and walked around to the rear of the car and pushed down on the trunk to bounce the car. The noise now was really loud. Wait a minute, it seems to be coming from the trunk.

I got my can of silicon spray and gave the trunk rubber a dose. Back in the car all was quiet.

So, yeah, Evos like to talk.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

Ok after some more seat time, I kind of got a idea of the car.

The whining sounds are the bov in the lower gears. The car does make a whining sound that sounds like its coming from the tranny when I'm in 4th gear, its very obvious it makes this sound in 4th. I usually cruise in 4th since I'm driving on slow roads.

This isn't my video but it sounds somewhat like this, but only in 4th.

Aside from listening to the other things that people have mentioned, what should I do now? Just keep driving? It doesn't sound as bad as the other youtube videos. Will changing out the diff fluids help?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by niko
I Had a whining noise as well, changed all fluids with Amsoil fluid and dont hear much whining anymore
Was your whining noise like the video link I posted?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vr4gasmtt
Ok after some more seat time, I kind of got a idea of the car.

The whining sounds are the bov in the lower gears. The car does make a whining sound that sounds like its coming from the tranny when I'm in 4th gear, its very obvious it makes this sound in 4th. I usually cruise in 4th since I'm driving on slow roads.

This isn't my video but it sounds somewhat like this, but only in 4th.

Aside from listening to the other things that people have mentioned, what should I do now? Just keep driving? It doesn't sound as bad as the other youtube videos. Will changing out the diff fluids help?

Hmmm sounds familiar i wonder from were lol... Is that noise normal for evos ?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
what speed are you hearing the noises? try a fluid change/refresh.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dont' do what i did....

I heard a whining noise and everybody told me it was my transfer case so i had that rebuilt my TRE with a Wavetrac installed. I installed it and to my astonishment the noise was still there.

Turned out to be the Rear Diff. #smh.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The noise you are experiencing sounds normal to me.
My car has that whine, had it stock, had it after my TC actually broke, had it get louder after I installed RR diff bushings.

The pedal also seems normal. The Evo has ~10-15mm of light stroke before the pedal starts to get really stiff for the additional 15-40mm of stroke.
If you are use to a pedal which has low effort for 30mm this pedal will feel like a solid rock.

IMO

Quick Reply: Just bought an Evo, not sure about whining sound