Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Intake pipe size and verifcation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake pipe size and verifcation

I know this has been talked about a lot and there really isn't a concrete response.

I'm running an aftermarket K&N intake pipe with filter. I know a lot of people say that the aftermarket piping could cause issues with boost and what not. I've also heard that the K&N setup is also not a very good setup for the car due people's reasons.

I need some feed back, should I change it out for something else? Can I run a bigger size intake pipe and filter with stock maf?

I'm at a position where I don't know which route to go or if I should just leave it be.

I've been looking at a lot of intakes but since I'm running stock 9 turbo and stock MAF is it worth it to go bigger and or switch to another setup?

Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2014, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ditch the MAF and do a speed density tune with a 4" intake pipe and don't re-circulate the BOV. But honestly not alot of power is made by doing an intake on these cars, alot of people can turn 400hp out of the stock airbox with a K&n drop-in filter, most of the cali guys do that because of the visual inspection. It would help if you list ALL of your mods, and your goals for the car and then we can make a suggestion, but my suggestion is ditch the MAF early on, a good tuner can make the car more drive-able without the MAF on speed density.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by slowsrt4:(
ditch the MAF and do a speed density tune with a 4" intake pipe and don't re-circulate the BOV. But honestly not alot of power is made by doing an intake on these cars, alot of people can turn 400hp out of the stock airbox with a K&n drop-in filter, most of the cali guys do that because of the visual inspection. It would help if you list ALL of your mods, and your goals for the car and then we can make a suggestion, but my suggestion is ditch the MAF early on, a good tuner can make the car more drive-able without the MAF on speed density.
I have looked up and checked out some intake setups with speed density and not quite sure if its worth it for me.

Currently, I have that K&N intake setup with pipe, ETS UICP, LICP, FMIC. Full turbo back exhaust, stock exhaust manifold/o2 housing. Also have warlbro 255 filter. At this time the car is untuned and i drive it on occasion.

My goal is make it a track car, road race setup, time attack if you will. At this point in time, I was planning on keeping a stock turbo setup or aftermarket stock setup(fp green etc..) because I don't want to dump TONS of money turbo wise because to me its not worth it to go big, especially on a class that works on faster spool in and out of corners.

I'm located in FL and do have 93 octane handy, e85 and e98 readily available also. EDITED LOL just realized you have FL location too! haha.

tbh i guess I'm looking for guidance on setup also.

Last edited by Atrophical; Oct 4, 2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 09:27 AM

I do have a lot of idea's to put forth on what I'd like to have or do, but I'm starting with the small question's especially about this intake setup.

That's really my main goal is work it all out piece by piece.