Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why people rebuild then sell???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Why people rebuild then sell???

So I've been on here for a long time and a trend I see quite often on here and other evo forums is that people will rebuild their engine then sell the car within 1-5k miles of having it rebuilt.

Is the 4g63 that hard to rebuild properly and reliably?

I mean why spend so much then basically give it away with a rebuilt engine?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Usually one of 2 reasons..

1. There is something wrong with the car so the person wants to get rid of it rather than sink even more money into it. A lot of people are scum bags and will not disclose any underlying issues, be it a major or minor issue.

2. They want to move on to something else because they're either bored with the evo platform, can't afford to keep going with it, or they need something more practical if they have a wife, children, etc.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
or... they don't want to sell a jacked up car.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
I suspect that often times, people spend more on their builds than they should. Then as their credit card bills start hitting them month after month selling sounds better and better. Either that, or the evo is not their DD. A weekend car might not see a thousand miles a year.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Trust me, after you loose a motor, and that car is your daily and you have to find other transportation, all you want is something that you can drive and not have to worry about.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Imo

Speaking from personal experience it took three years to finish my build and there is absolutely nothing wrong with my car and I want to sell it. Over time you loose interest. But there are the ppl that can't afford a race car and buy all ebay cheap no name stuff that doesn't work right and they can't afford to keeping putting money into the car to fix stuff. If u are looking to buy one that is modded do your reserearch on builder/shop and ask for receipts.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Some people enjoy putting the car together more than driving it. That's why you see so many for sale with a nearly fresh turbo setup and new built engine I assume .
Old Mar 6, 2015, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
I think another reason is, when they build their car, they don't build it realistically for their needs,. Only for what they think they want....They want a 'race car'. Little do they realize, a race car doesn't work well as a daily. So, the car sits, never driven. Now they have this VERY expensive 'statue' hanging around...Well, gotta' sell her now...
Old Mar 6, 2015, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
^ that seems logical to me.

I like mine and there is no problem with it other than a little low leak down test so I was curious if I had to rebuild down the line, would I want to sell it right after.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

^ Depends on how you build it...Logically, or...
Old Mar 7, 2015, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ9MR
I think another reason is, when they build their car, they don't build it realistically for their needs,. Only for what they think they want....They want a 'race car'. Little do they realize, a race car doesn't work well as a daily. So, the car sits, never driven. Now they have this VERY expensive 'statue' hanging around...Well, gotta' sell her now...

I don't know what you are talking about Howard!

I have one such car. I bought this 06 IX RS WW 27 months ago with 20,7xx miles and one day one of ownership I had PTV contact. I redid the head and of course couldn't leave anything alone so I spent a good amount trying to do the "the right way". I never really was able to finish the car 100% and a few things didn't sit well with me so when we sold our house I shipped the car to CBRD for a rebuild of sorts.

I gave CBRD a brand new GSC head and lots of suspensions stuff. When they pulled the oil pan we found some debris so we built a new shortblock as well. Howard can attest as to how I went all out on the build. I tend to do this on my projects, I try to do as much as I can. I guess I have some blueprint in my head as to what should be done. Anyway, I just spent a good $30k between everything.

So, now I have this truly awesome car that has 21,xxx on the ODO and is really awesome and only 100 miles after the build. BUT, I keep pouring more money into it, as I type this I am looing at $6k in parts sitting in the corner of my room. I have been offered money for the car but so far I haven't sold it. I am torn between keeping the car and enjoying it and selling it now for more money than I thought was possible. I do owe a few $$$ on the car and we could use the extra cash to buy a new house but I am not hurting for money or in any way do I have to sell it.

So, as you can see I am torn between what to do. I can't speak as to other people's motives to sell after a build but this is my story.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
^^^ These are all good reasons

I'll like to add another.

There are also times when you remember how your close to stock car use to run and respond.
Sometimes you get so crazy bent on performance numbers and parts you need and just keep buying stuff, eventually you are so far from stock the car drives and behaves completely different. They've spend so much time and money they are done, sick of dealing with it and sell the car.

I know so many people, "it just wasn't the same".
"I want something reliable and without dashboard warning lights etc"
Some of this isn't evo related but these are typical trends.

The good thing with an evo platform is you can get a ton of performance and really be just like stock, my entire build I've set out to be just that.... and that's because I was the person on the other side of the fence who built an extreme car and it was nothing close to stock again.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

^^ DON'T you dare sell that perfect example of an Evo Mike!! You will be so sorry later on! $6K worth of MORE parts? That beautiful car has literally EVERYTHING already! What parts? Just sell them to me!!
Old Mar 7, 2015, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ9MR
^^ DON'T you dare sell that perfect example of an Evo Mike!! You will be so sorry later on! $6K worth of MORE parts? That beautiful car has literally EVERYTHING already! What parts? Just sell them to me!!

If my funds were not limited I wouldn't sell it. Right now, I will sell it if the price is right.

Yeah, a custom Shorai battery and custom made tray, custom made crossmember and motor mount, Voltex type V wing. BR removeable harness bar, Works Bell quick release setup, Personel steering wheel, Ciro Racing Caster/ Camber Plates, Gruppe-S reflashed ACD ECU, JDM VIII head and tail lights, Rexspeed Voltex diffuser, Rexspeed side skirt extensions, and Frontline Fab billet valve cover.

If I do sell it I will be selling all that unless new buyer wants it for extra $$$$.
You got my number, Hoard.....
Old Mar 7, 2015, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got an OWI which is causing me to want to sell. Insurance is gonna be insane for just a weekend car!

Quick Reply: Why people rebuild then sell???