Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cluster removal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cluster removal

Ok I removed my cluster from my evo to change the bulbs. Bulbs were the wrongs ones and the shops had closed. So I left the cluster out and the next day I drove the car. I lost all electrics and now the car will not start. I came across in my goolge search that if the cluster is not in the alternator will not charge the battery is this true please help as the car is off the road and it's my daily.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
dont know, but y not just plug it back in and see? like a minute to plug it all back in.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I remember hearing that too.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so an update to this and a warning to you all not to drive without your cluster in the car.

It seems to be after and bit of interweb searching that this is a common issue with all modern car that I and many others didn't know about. If you look on the back of your clusters there is a circuit board. well a current runs through this, now if this current is broken ie: taking the cluster out, it will bring up a code error and your warning light would normally come on. This is what I could not see as it wasn't pluged in.

So the warning in the ECU was telling the alternator not to charge the battery so it ran out of power leaving me stranded on the side of the road.

The only way to over ride this is to now how to bypass it if you say put a Haltek dash in which should be installed by a professional as they would know the ins and outs of how this is done.