Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How reliable are Evo IX for DD?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Wisconsin and I was looking to buy an Evo ix around December or after winter ends. I have an automatic civic right now and I really need a stick shift car (for fun) and an Evo has been my dream car for as long as I can remember. Is the X better than the ix for a DD? Does the ix have problems with a lot of things? I'm even open to buying an VIII if they are more reliable with their transmission. I would just like to hear some input on whether or not a Evo VIII, IX, or X would be the most reliable for Wisconsin winters. Those of you who do DD an Evo if you could tell me your experiences with the car, good and/or bad I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:02 AM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...oking-evo.html

read please.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Owning a Evo IX and a Evo X I can say that the X is a better DD. But both cars are amazing if you maintain them properly. The VIII and IX have the same transmission, just different gear ratios. VIII' will be more common than IX's, a little cheaper as well. They're about 90% the same car. The IX has MIVEC and a different interior. More personal preference really. I don't really have anything bad to say about DDing a evo other than you will go through gas like crazy and high auto insurance. Other than that they're both amazing machines.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 03:57 AM

I've also heard Xs are better for daily use but for power and rawness the VIII and IXs are better. either way they are very dependable and shouldn't have any problems as long as you take care of it. the problem you'll run into with the VIII and IXs is that when you go to buy one the odds are its been beat to crap. try to find something 60k and under. might take a little searching but the right one will pop up.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 04:22 AM

I think X was built to be more subtle than the VIII and IX. at least that's my opinion.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
I have a modified IX-MR (remember, a 6-speed) that I went 006-101,000 miles with as a daily driver. I drove it every day, in all types of weather, and road conditions. She NEVER failed me! I also have a honda civic automatic that I now use as my daily.

I feel it's all up to you how well ANY car acts as a daily. You properly maintain it, it will be there for you, ready to go. Also, as a daily, don't beat the heck out of it every chance you get going to school, work, or groceries! "You get what you put into it"...Also, don't buy cheap, no name parts (performance, or OEM replacement) for your car if you're depending on it as a daily.

Good Luck!
Old Jul 16, 2015, 07:45 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys, from what I'm looking at now I'm thinking about a Evo ix. I saw an Evo ix completely stock with 51,000 miles in Alex silver for $25,000 from a dealer called xtrememotorwerks I'm mostly just looking for now but is that overpriced? Or is it a decent deal? I'm not sure if I can post the link here but if I can just let me know.

Once again thanks guys
Old Jul 16, 2015, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
it seems rather overpriced, also i would be a bit iffy buying from a shop with that name.
i dd mine everyday all day everywhere granted i have an 8 not a 9 or X your asking about. even in the snow, flood, whatever. its never let me down. always fired right up no matter the temperature.
i will say, just because its awd doesnt mean any tires will suffice in the snow. GET SNOW TIRES and then it'll be excellent in the snow.
you do run thru gas a lot as a daily, but if u can afford the car you should be able to afford the gas. depending on driving style, you can go thru all 4 tires pretty quickly. im putting about 20k+ / yr so yes i DO DD my car.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by IYIonster
Thanks for all the replies guys, from what I'm looking at now I'm thinking about a Evo ix. I saw an Evo ix completely stock with 51,000 miles in Alex silver for $25,000 from a dealer called xtrememotorwerks I'm mostly just looking for now but is that overpriced? Or is it a decent deal? I'm not sure if I can post the link here but if I can just let me know.

Once again thanks guys
$25,000 is never $25,000. Be sure to add in dealer doc fees, tax, etc. that $25k will turn to $28k real fast. Pretty over priced I'd say.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 09:13 AM

unfortunately how the evo VII AND IX market is they're becoming more rare with low miles so people want to charge an arm and a leg for them. you should be able to talk them down.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:00 AM

Here is the link to the ad, if it is not allowed to post links from other websites let me know and I will take it down but here it is

http://www.xtreme-motorwerks.com/200..._250515705.veh

I was hoping to try and talk them down to around $21,000 or $22,000
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Just be prepared for the 60k timing maintenance. Can cost almost a grand unless you do it yourself.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:03 PM

I think a lot of opinions about these cars are formed based on comparisons, or lack thereof.

Wisconsin sees snow in the winter, maybe it's similar to us across the lake from you. I've lived in Michigan and northern Indiana, and have driven these areas through lake effect storms and their snowy roads for about 20 years. I've driven a handful of AWD/4x4 vehicles in my time, including Audis with both Haldex and Quattro systems, Subarus with symmetrical AWD system, and Jeep and Ford SUVs.

Even with winter tires (the same model tire that I've used for the previously mentioned Audis which killed it in the winter) IMO the Evo can suck in snow/slush because it doesn't have traction control.

My wife's Forester XT with lowered suspension and a winter tire setup will run circles around my Evo in the winter. I had a built TT that was fantastic in the snow, although a bit too low at times. I drove an A4 for 3 years with a winter setup that would also hold its own against the Subaru FXT with its winter tires.

I draw my conclusions from real DD examples, like turning into the parking lot at work, taking the 90 degree corners in my neighborhood, accelerating from a stop, and feeling the car work beneath me in spots where snow is covering the road then it's suddenly bare pavement.

The good part in this is that the car can be fun to drive without having to switch the traction control button off, because there isn't one, which makes sliding corners available on demand. The bad part is that you can slide if you don't want to if you're travelling a bit "too fast for conditions"... like if you're turning in somewhere and the car behind you doesn't seem to be slowing down quick enough or if you suddenly have to dodge an ice chunk that fell off the truck in front of you and is in your lane.

I challenge anyone who says that the Evo is fantastic in the snow (for DD purposes) to tell us about their comparisons and their history.

I've had my IX for 1 1/2 years so far, it's been through two winters on two different sets of snow tires. The first set I borrowed to test out the tires and promptly handed them back as soon as I could because they sucked and tried to kill me. The next set was a tire that I have used on 3 different cars before in a 16in size, mounted on 17in Evo 8 Enekis... and I was disappointed that the car would slide so easily when I really wanted it to stick like it had in my other cars previously.

OTOH, the Evo is great in the non-winter months and easily outperforms the other performance cars that I've had. The 9 has a better interior colorway than the 8, seem to be in nicer condition than most 8s that are for sale, and has that "I was only offered in the states for one model year" thing going for it.

The trans is notchy and sucks until it gets warmed up, especially in the winter. The drive train whine in 1st gear will make you worry but it's completely normal, it's related to how the gears are cut. Kids will say "cool car, nice car, I like your car, it's raining outside but your hood is on fire look at the smoke (steam), look dad a race car,is it fast, etc..." and hillbillies in lifted trucks will call you a ricer and make comments about the wing.

If you look at it wrong it gains power, the trunk is kinda big but the back seats don't fold down, the gauges were hard for me to see (colorblind), you can raise/lower the headlights a bit via an in dash control, the suck and blow sounds are phenomenal, the exhaust note is meh, maintenece seems relatively easy compared to some other cars... o2 sensors/plugs/oil changes are cake but I haven't done drivetrain fluids yet, there are few in my area so I rarely see one but I can spit into the wind and hit a WRX/STi.

It's easy enough to make a handful of power reliably with minor mods, which will get you a quick car but a slow Evo by comparison, which is ok by me. 335 AWHP on the street is enough to get a smile out of anybody, regardless of what you have to compare it to.

Last edited by Taifighter; Jul 16, 2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well having had my Evo ix mr as my daily for 5 years on the east coast. It has been my most reliable car to date. Avid snowboarder so it goes into the slop and snow with me. Car has never let me down. When i started to mod the car I got a different daily. My Audi was not nearly as good in the snow. Now might have been cause it was an RS4 on 19s and wide 19s but still felt less stable. Now I have a 2015 sti as my daily. Another beast in the bad weather. I would never have an issue saying that if you take care of the car and drive it. It will be a solid car. Just my 2cents
Old Jul 16, 2015, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an Evo 8 daily with the SSL package. I would say the car is fun to drive as a daily but can be annoying at times due to all the interior rattles/squeaking. Also the car is pricey with gas, I get about 300 miles before I have to fill up premium. You also need the leather interior to be semi comfortable, the base cloth interior is cheap looking. A/C doesn't keep up as well with modern cars which is probably why a X would be better.

I believe the Evo X's are built more DD friendly due to larger cabin space. The Evo 8 can feel a bit small . Also the seats are bigger in the Evo X's. If I get another Evo it will probably be a X but won't be for a while since my car still has 35k miles.

Quick Reply: How reliable are Evo IX for DD?