Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Temp gauge stuck on hot

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temp gauge stuck on hot

I was out on a little test drive earlier on after fitting new top mounts, ball joints and drop links to the front of my evo 6 and on my return home i noticed the temp gauge had rocketed to max. There was no running issues with the car what so ever and no lights on the dash to indicate any further issues. Being only a mile away i took it steady and made my way home to investigate.
I turned off the car, no leaks no coolant spray or anything visible to show a lack of coolant. Left it over a hour whilst i had lunch and when i returned, i flicked the ignition on and the gauge shot right up again... I started the car and let it run with no issues at all. Still no leaks , fan kicks in and out as it should. Now what could be the cause of this? Temp gauge? Temp sensor? A thermostat issue?
Im not very mechanically minded although i do know the basics any help would be much appreciated.
Joe.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 03:44 AM

Anyone able to help?
I started the car this morning after a very cold night and still the gauge shot up to max. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Old Oct 10, 2016, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My guess would be the temp sensor is going wonky, I had a similar issue on my IX at one point where it would sky-rocket out of the blue but that turned out to be air in the system.
Based on the fact that you haven't been touching the system I would guess it's the sensor.

Any chance you hit the wiring while working on the other stuff, maybe knocked something loose?

Hopefully some others chime in as well!
The following users liked this post:
Turbojoe89 (Oct 10, 2016)
Old Oct 10, 2016, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
After sitting all night I doubt it is hot, coolant or not. Check that the ground between the intake manifold and firewall has clean connections both ends.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 09:46 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Either the sensor is bad, or you have a short some where. Unplug the sensor, there are 2 on the evo 8/9 one for the ecu one for the gauge, i don't know if thats the case on an evo 6, and the gauge should drop to cold. If that doesn't happen you have a short, if it does you have a bad sensor.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 09:49 AM

This is from an evo 8, but it might be the same, you can see #6 is the sensor you would want to look at.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 10:18 AM

thinking about it, I haven't actually measured if the temp sensor is an NTC, or PTC type so what i said about the gauge dropping if you unplug it might be wrong. You should still do a visual inspection of the sensor try unplugging it and see if you observer a change in the gauges behavior.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 10:23 AM

Awesome stuff, thanks guys. There is the sensor on your diagram, number 6, it's the dash temp sender with a single wire going onto it with a spade terminal. If i unplug the wire from the sender the temp gauge in the car dies... The moment i plug it back on the gauge shoots up again. I have got a new sensor ordered and il go check the grounds now as barney said
Old Oct 10, 2016, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Turbojoe89
Awesome stuff, thanks guys. There is the sensor on your diagram, number 6, it's the dash temp sender with a single wire going onto it with a spade terminal. If i unplug the wire from the sender the temp gauge in the car dies... The moment i plug it back on the gauge shoots up again. I have got a new sensor ordered and il go check the grounds now as barney said
Yah bad sensor then. If it was a bad ground it wouldn't behave like that, but check grounds anyway because they tend to have problems.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 10:32 AM

Im out checking all grounds now, all else seems ok. Must be the sensor itself and for the sake of £8 it's the first thing on the list to try. Thanks for the help lads, the new sensor should be here tomorrow so will update with the outcome once fitted

Old Oct 10, 2016, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
X2 on ground
Old Oct 11, 2016, 02:21 PM

Just an update lads, new sensor arrived today, had it fitted in seconds and hey presto... No more dodgy guage
Thanks again everyone. I appreciate it

Joe
Old Oct 11, 2016, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbojoe89
Just an update lads, new sensor arrived today, had it fitted in seconds and hey presto... No more dodgy guage
Thanks again everyone. I appreciate it

Joe
Wooo! gotta love simple fixes
Turbojoe89 (Oct 11, 2016)
Old Oct 14, 2016, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That happened to mine, and there was a tad bit of corrosion on the connector... cleaned it and haven't had any other issues.