Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Part speedo gauge light went out

Old Oct 10, 2016, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part speedo gauge light went out

Hi just want to see if anyone has had their speedo gauge light go out on them?

Reason for asking was, 2 weeks ago I took my Evo 9 to a local dealer for the passenger airbag and PCM recall. Got the Evo back during day time and didn't notice anything different. I don't drive much in my Evo except for beautiful days or days I have to stay longer at work. Other then that, my wife and I usually car pool to work.

So just a couple days ago, one of my BIL ask me to help him do something at his place. Drove my car there and it was around the evenings. Turned the car on, I just notice that the light on the left side of my speedo was dead. I couldn't see anything less then 40mph down on the speedo light cluster. There was no indication that my lights were turned on in the cluster too.

So I'm made another appoint for today to bring the car back in to see what's wrong with the speedo cluster light. Just got a called back and said the the bulbs are burnt out. I told rep that everything was working prior to I bringing the car in for the recalls. How can the bulbs just go out on all suddenly? To replace those will cost money out of my pocket and they told me that the light indicator in the cluster will cost over $800 to fix since it was inside the cluster, so a new cluster will need to be order. I asked to speak to a manager but said that manager was out.

Just want your inputs, how long does a normal bulb on a cluster last? My Evo has 98K on it ATM and I barely drive it. Bought it when it was at 91K and over the course of almost 6 years I just put roughly 7k on it. My Toyota Venza which I DD is over 100K already still has it's light cluster working fine.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Mitsubishi decided that red would be a cool color for the cluster. Then they realized you can't see red. The solution: wire the dash so that the lights are on all of the time. The result is the bulbs go out. Buy bulbs. Yeah, Mitsu is probably at fault. They made a 99% shot bulb a 100% shot bulb. You could make a fuss about it but that seems silly to me.

Last edited by barneyb; Oct 10, 2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
Mitsubishi decided that red would be a cool color for the cluster. Then they realized you can't see red. The solution: wire the dash so that the lights are on all of the time. The result is the bulbs go out. Buy bulbs. Yeah, Mitsu is probably at fault. They made a 99% shot bulb a 100% shot bulb. You could make a fuss about it but that seems silly to me.
This explains so much, would read again
Old Nov 20, 2016, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
same thing happened to me---shoddy work. Complained and pitched a fit--got them all replaced for free...if they worked when you dropped it off for repair, it should work when you pick it up---you should at the very least get your car back in the same condition you dropped it off in... Mine was in for the airbag and they managed to have 3 bulbs go out, scratched my ash tray cover and jack my gauges. That lasted about 2 seconds...
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meckert
same thing happened to me---shoddy work. Complained and pitched a fit--got them all replaced for free...if they worked when you dropped it off for repair, it should work when you pick it up---you should at the very least get your car back in the same condition you dropped it off in... Mine was in for the airbag and they managed to have 3 bulbs go out, scratched my ash tray cover and jack my gauges. That lasted about 2 seconds...
Luckily I was able to get mine fixed as well. I was very patient with the service manager since they took a long time to return my calls. We had a couple conversation about the job that was done on the car. The service manager denied they touched the cluster, but I managed to pull up the diagram and prove that in order for them to change the passenger airbag, they had to take all those out and then remove the top dashboard part to access it. Like you my dashboard was scratched in a couple area as well when they removed some of the trims. I wasn't happy about that as well and taken pictures too, as where the damage was and emailed it to the service manager. A couple days later, I got an email back saying that they will order the parts including a new dashboard. Brought my car in for them to replaced all those and they mentioned to me that another Evo had the same problem as mine about the cluster light going out.

Good thing everything was settle in a professional manner for my car.