Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo blacks out under load?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2016, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Evo blacks out under load?

Hey guys, just grabbed another Evo today that has an issue. The car is an 03' with 84,000 miles on it, it has and Evo 9 turbo, mishimoto radiator. HKS 272 cams, intake/exhaust and tune but thats really it. The car starts right up and idles no issue, had it idling for 30 mins at my house with no problems, even drove it on and off the trailer today when I bought it. The problem with the car is when it goes under load. I rolled on in first gear and got into the throttle a bit to make some boost and as soon as the boost comes on the entire car goes BLACK. Engine shuts down, no power, cluster goes black, headlights turn off etc. I costed up to a stop and got out to push the car. I noticed once I got back in the car, I turned the key back on and the power was right back as it should be along with the car cranking right over and firing back up. Going to look thru the wiring in the morning but was wondering if this could be a dead cell in the battery. Has anyone experienced this type of thing before?

I asked the previous owner what happened before the car started doing this and they replied:

i was driving it home from work and when I was about too reverse into the drive way it died when I let rpms drop. Car wouldn't start again so I changed the starter and it worked. It started right up again. Drove it to work the next day it was fine then when I went to go on my lunch break it wouldn't start. Came back out after my shift was done and it started on my way home the CEL popped for crankshaft position sensor replaced that aswell and it was still giving issues.

any help or opinions on where to start digging would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old Nov 6, 2016, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The first thing I would check is the battery hold down.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
My 04 evo just went thru this turns out my battery cables had gotten loose on the positive side so I cleaned the terminals all up they where not dirty really but did it anyway and cranked those suckers on there and no issue since then
Old Nov 7, 2016, 02:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
The first thing I would check is the battery hold down.
Hmm..well as of right now there is no tie down on it. I planned to order a new one this week from Mitsubishi. Do you think this could be the issue?