Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

~~Howl/whistle noise at 60-74 mph (details inside)~~

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2016, 04:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink ~~Drivetrain/whistle noise at 60-74 mph (details inside)~~

Just got the car back together about 3-4 days ago, I didn't notice this noise till yesterday, and I am wanting to see if anyone else may have had or has this issue!

(Vehicle/Mods/Mileage)

2003 Evo 8 with 90,600 miles.

Mods, fulley built engine, Manley H beam, Wiesco Pistons, ACL and clevite bearings, ported polished head, BC valve spring and retainers, keldford 272's.

Transmission stock, but has buscherwacker stage 1 - new ACT with monoloc clutch

Exahust 3" buscher -

Rear end is stock, but I do have (energy bushings, on mustache bar, and the differential mounts

---------------------

What is happening

This noise can be heard from about 62-73 MPH, imagine taking a water bottle that is empty and blowing across the top to make that, humming whistle noise, lit is sort of like that but not as deep. I feel it is drive line related.

It is not the transmission, I ruled that out because i placed the transmission into 4th gear and the noise still stayed from 62-73 mph. At 75 -80 the noise is completely gone

It is hard to say if it is coming from the rear or front, as it resonates so well and is tricky. I also tried to record it, but I got too much road noise (go figure). Everything else runs very well, and this noise I do not believe is the t-case because when I am at decel I don't get the (whine or anything like that)

I am wondering if it is a few different parts resonating together to make this noise.. not entirely sure, but I thought it would make a good thread.

I will do my best to update the thread with any finds, including pictures if necessary.

Cheers,

Last edited by EVOEvolved; Nov 8, 2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Wheel bearing!
Old Nov 8, 2016, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bhsj13
Wheel bearing!
Hmm, could be the beginning of one? Howl, I should have taken out of the original post.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I'd suggest putting the car up and checking for full lubricant in each gear box. You don't want to be driving around wondering what the sound is while a bearing runs dry.

I just mounted winter tires and about 9/10's of the road noise is gone. As performance tires wear they get loud but the increase in noise is so gradual you don't notice it until you swap tires or have the car down for awhile. So, could be that.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
I'd suggest putting the car up and checking for full lubricant in each gear box. You don't want to be driving around wondering what the sound is while a bearing runs dry.

I just mounted winter tires and about 9/10's of the road noise is gone. As performance tires wear they get loud but the increase in noise is so gradual you don't notice it until you swap tires or have the car down for awhile. So, could be that.
All fluids are where they need to be, all mitsubishi fluids, all refilled 200 miles ago.

Ill check tires and such!
Old Nov 8, 2016, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a consistent whine between 72 and 80mph. Went away when I swapped my differential and mustache bar bushings to Torque Solutions. Was previously on stock mustache and Whiteline differential. Don't ask me to explain why. It just did.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

My Front tires have inner camber wear. I installed new suspension with adjustable camber plate on top, I moved it so there was less negative cambe. Now the car handle worse, and I believe the noise is coming from the tires.. Bah..
Old Nov 14, 2016, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOEvolved
My Front tires have inner camber wear. I installed new suspension with adjustable camber plate on top, I moved it so there was less negative cambe. Now the car handle worse, and I believe the noise is coming from the tires.. Bah..
I just put on my snows and noticed the front two that came off had camber wear. So, I took them to a tire shop and had them flipped to inside out.