Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rust!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation Rust!

When I bought my car it had some rust on the rear quarter panels. Im curious as to if this is something that I could do easily at home or I should go to a professional somewhere. Pictures are attached and if you want more pictures ask. By the way the pictures are from both sides of the car
Attached Thumbnails Rust!-img_1382.jpg   Rust!-img_1384.jpg  
Old Feb 12, 2017, 09:08 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Definitely not going to be an easy DIY fix here. The rust you see is usually just the tip of the iceberg. All the rust will have to be removed, and probably some sheet metal work done. Then you have the body work of repainting and blending that area to match the rest of the car.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 09:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Was wondering if the rears had been rolled, trapping the di-icing chemicals in that pocket
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have rust on my trunk of my VII i will be taking it to a professional shop to have it corrected, usually it comes back after several years unless it is still very light surface rust.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Definitely not going to be an easy DIY fix here. The rust you see is usually just the tip of the iceberg. All the rust will have to be removed, and probably some sheet metal work done. Then you have the body work of repainting and blending that area to match the rest of the car.
As far as what I have looked at the rust does not seem to be that bad. Yes i understand the tip of the iceberg part of rust but Ive done all I can to see if there is more and that is honestly the only place I have found profound rust on the car. I have done a very thorough search of anywhere that was not painted and I have not found much anything.

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Was wondering if the rears had been rolled, trapping the di-icing chemicals in that pocket
The rears have not been rolled. I am worried that after the rust repair I may not be able to roll them.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jheff
As far as what I have looked at the rust does not seem to be that bad. Yes i understand the tip of the iceberg part of rust but Ive done all I can to see if there is more and that is honestly the only place I have found profound rust on the car. I have done a very thorough search of anywhere that was not painted and I have not found much anything.

The rears have not been rolled. I am worried that after the rust repair I may not be able to roll them.
Just roll or grind them down at the same time you do the body work.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
Just roll or grind them down at the same time you do the body work.
What about pulling? I dont know how aggressive I will want to run tires but would pulling be an option?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jheff
What about pulling? I dont know how aggressive I will want to run tires but would pulling be an option?
That takes a ton of skill. Its an option if the shop is specialized enough. I run a 255 in the back with just a roll...but I'm not sure how aggressive you're thinking.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:49 PM
kaj

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Go wide body. Fixed LOL

You can use a rust encapsulator on the interior fender then grind away the rust on the outside. That would be the cheap fix. If you want it to look new...
Then you're stuck with the ideas above. Hopefully it can be saved without sectioning.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Go wide body. Fixed LOL

You can use a rust encapsulator on the interior fender then grind away the rust on the outside. That would be the cheap fix. If you want it to look new...
Then you're stuck with the ideas above. Hopefully it can be saved without sectioning.
Probably what im going to end up doing. Im going to try to bring it to a friend who knows their stuff about bodywork and hopefully they can help me understand what im working with.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 06:18 AM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
what i meant by tip of the iceberg isnt that there is rust elsewhere on the car (their might be) but that what you see is usually just part of a much larger amount of rust under the surface. You have to remove the surrounding paint to see the full extent of the rust. Rust is literally car cancer, you have to get it all, or it will continue to spread and eat the car.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
what i meant by tip of the iceberg isnt that there is rust elsewhere on the car (their might be) but that what you see is usually just part of a much larger amount of rust under the surface. You have to remove the surrounding paint to see the full extent of the rust. Rust is literally car cancer, you have to get it all, or it will continue to spread and eat the car.
Oh i am aware, Its just i believe that the pictures make the rust look much worse than it is in person
Old Feb 13, 2017, 02:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Common rust area. Pull the cover doors off the trunk liner. Get a flashlight. That will give you an idea of how big that iceberg actually is.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
don't drive in the snow, but never even occurred to me on this - thanks, I was going to have my fenders rolled soon. i'll wipe them down clean with wd40 before anyone touches them.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fastspoolingsx
Common rust area. Pull the cover doors off the trunk liner. Get a flashlight. That will give you an idea of how big that iceberg actually is.
That will help a lot, thanks.

Quick Reply: Rust!