Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bolt in Roll Cage Safety?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bolt in Roll Cage Safety?

Guys are there any bolt in roll cages or bars of any type that will actually increase the safety level of the vehicle? I'm talking something for the street just to improve everyday driving/accident safety. My wife is worried about me driving this "small kids car" around and compared to my F250 daily I see her point.

Thanks!
Old May 4, 2017, 08:51 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Most of us track day guys are running the bars in this thread below

If you have any questions, please ask them in that thread & will be happy to assist

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...ar-thread.html
Old May 4, 2017, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you going to be wearing a helmet while driving? If not I wouldn't recommend installing anything for "safety" reasons. The sanctioning bodies that make the rules about cages/bars/hoops all require certain areas to be close to The drivers head.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by KentStateTsi
Are you going to be wearing a helmet while driving? If not I wouldn't recommend installing anything for "safety" reasons. The sanctioning bodies that make the rules about cages/bars/hoops all require certain areas to be close to The drivers head.
This.

A cage doesn't improve safety, it combines a lot of different factors to improve safety.

Cages don't belong on the street.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Ok thanks, let me ask this then. Would it be "safe" to add a cheap harness bar only to mount a GoPro too? I guess I could imagine it breaking in an impact owns putting a nice hole in my head.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
You noted a cage & those guys jumped your ship

I run a rear roll bar. It does offer the following IMO: Some side impact protection, roll over protection & noticeably stiffens the chassis

There maybe a scenario, depending on the type of impact, that your head could hit the roll bar in which that would not be good

Running a full cage on a street car is not advised. A roll bar is a bit different
Old May 4, 2017, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious

I run a rear roll bar. It does offer the following IMO: Some side impact protection, roll over protection & noticeably stiffens the chassis

There maybe a scenario, depending on the type of impact, that your head could hit the roll bar in which that would not be good

Running a full cage on a street car is not advised. A roll bar is a bit different
This is a better way to put it. The head impact is the kicker

A harness bar is fine, it's not going to hurt anything except the people in the back seat. A rear roll bar is probably fine but you should at least pad it around your head as a just in case

all that said, harnesses should never be run on the street, and should arguably never be run without a neck brace like a Hans device that keeps your next from hyper-extending/snapping
Old May 4, 2017, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious

Rear roll bar as in rear roll cage or just the harness bar?

* Nevermind I understand what you're saying. Thanks guys.
Old May 4, 2017, 03:49 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 814 Likes on 678 Posts
Roll bars are fine on the street, roll cages are not. Bolt-ins are fine as long as they don't bolt together at the joints. Autopower is a good example. The joints are welded and only the straight sections bolt together.

Harness bars are only used to get the harness to come off your shoulder at the right angle. Not meant to actually mount the harness to.