Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Ohlins or FP red?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I did Red then Ohlins; do over has me springing for the Ohlins earlier.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:40 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
I'm sure it's been said:

If you care about dyno numbers and/or like going faster in straight lines/daily driving/etc then the turbo. Remember you will be buying quite a few supporting mods and getting the car tuned. Mo' $$$

If you are into driving backroads/mountain roads/autox/HPDE/etc or really concerned about how your car soaks up bumps while daily driving: Ohlins.

You will get varied opinions here, from all of us, depending on what we use our cars for.

My car can have stock power, for all I care, but It has to be able to handle and drive well and, as a result, be fun for me to drive. Suspension is more important. That's just me, though. It may not be the right decision for you.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 04:19 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Thought about doing the FP red upgrade but decided to wait for after my track day this month. Went to the track and lapped half the field including 3 fast vette's. Not even going to waste money on the red now because if I can put that kind of time down and lap faster than 500-700hp cars then I'm wondering what I can do with a proper suspension setup.

Last edited by yip; Nov 4, 2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 01:07 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by yip
Thought about doing the FP red upgrade but decided to wait for after my track day this month. Went to the track and lapped half the field including 3 fast vette's. Not even going to waste money on the red now because if I can put that kind of time down and lap faster than 500-700hp cars then I'm wondering what I can do with a proper suspension setup.
Exactly right (if you are into that type of thing).

Old Nov 5, 2017, 03:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,041 Likes on 761 Posts
Originally Posted by yip
Then when you get into the higher groups and the vettes are killing you, you can upgrade to a red.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Where are you ordering Ohlins with custom spring rates? All the vendor setups seem to have stiffer fronts.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 09:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by aamoedo
Where are you ordering Ohlins with custom spring rates? All the vendor setups seem to have stiffer fronts.
Since you are in the bay, check out PSI in Sonoma, they sell ohlins with higher rates and even do dampening changes at time of sale for great prices.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:04 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Then when you get into the higher groups and the vettes are killing you, you can upgrade to a red.
I agree but for now I'm committed to only spending money on necessities like pads, tires etc. Hopefully the turbo will just kick the bucket soon so I am forced to upgrade :P

But honestly I think I will be a better driver in the long run if I learn how to squeeze out better lap times without adding any more hp than the car already has for now.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by yip
I agree but for now I'm committed to only spending money on necessities like pads, tires etc. Hopefully the turbo will just kick the bucket soon so I am forced to upgrade :P

But honestly I think I will be a better driver in the long run if I learn how to squeeze out better lap times without adding any more hp than the car already has for now.
Absolutely. You are going about it the right way.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Since you are in the bay, check out PSI in Sonoma, they sell ohlins with higher rates and even do dampening changes at time of sale for great prices.
Awesome. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:39 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by yip
Hm. This is, probably, only the second time I've ever seen someone say this about themselves.

Old Nov 7, 2017, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
^Oh yeah it's great to see comments like that. Nothing worse or more dangerous than fast car slow driver.

There is some great advice in here but to add my .02 my vote would be Ohlins as well. When I first put on my Ohlins aside from the obvious great ride which they provide I found it easier to push the car. They made the car just that much more composed and it was almost like I could get away with more than before where the car would get unhappy easier.

Now the way I setup the car the backend is far more prone to stepping out but the more you drive the car the more comfortable you become with it so you can anticipate it and use it to your benefit.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Any binding issues with the stock bearings on the Ohlins?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I daily drive my evo since many years and over 75tkm on the Öhlins Road & Track coilovers and they are fantastic! No issues so far.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension first then turbo second too me. You going to get in more money with turbo first as well for supporting mods...

Quick Reply: Ohlins or FP red?