Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Speedometer sticking

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Speedometer sticking

I have been trying to get my evo back together after putting in some new parts and a trans, however the current barrier is PA safety inspection. I would like to get the car properly inspected and not have a "pass" by a friend or a shop that doesnt really look at the car. There has been a bit of an issue with the speedometer sticking or not working when i start the car. Sometimes when I am driving for long enough, the speedometer will resume and everything will work just fine, however the reasons for why this happens are a bit frustrating to track down.

My idea as to why the issue began was because as I was sorting through some miscellaneous issues and getting my trans to and from TRE I had the battery out of the car and it was left disconnected for months. It seems that when i drive the car multiple times a day or consistently it seems to be an issue that goes away. I was curious to see what the community has dealt with and feedback.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
loose plug on speed sensor?
bad speed sensor?
torn wires on harness to speed sensor??
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I re checked speed sensor, it seems to be fine as well as the harness does. I will be going through things in more depth later this week and hope to have an update for then but I was not sure if there was something that was different than just a wiring issue i should worry about.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Check the speedo wire under the dash by the ecu. When I got my car back together I was uninstalling a boost controller which is tapped into ECU wires and made the mistake (stupidly) of tapping my wideband into the speedo wire as opposed to the rear o2. Made that connection a million times but I screwed it up. Long story short went to drive the car and the speedo didnt work but randomly would for a second. So if you did any tapping into those wires make sure you tied into the correct ones.