Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Weird steering delay issues (aligned then not aligned)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird steering delay issues (aligned then not aligned)

Hi All,

Thank you for taking your time to read my post, i am having issues with my steering in my EVO8 which it causes an delay which is quite hard to explain but i will do my best.

After completing a turn and wanting to go left i have to keep my steering wheel 20 or so degrees to the side to go straight and after approximately 5-10 seconds the car will suddenly turn to the side i am turning to go straight and i have to straighten up my steering wheel to go straight so i dont crash into the side of the road, it all seems like a weird delay in the power steering as if no fluids were entering the camber to make the rack and pinion turn to the decide side of choice turning.

Basically i will have to keep the steering wheel turned to the side i chose to turn for 10 seconds for 20 degrees after i have completed the turn just to go straight and after 10 seconds or so when it chooses it suddenly forces me to turn straight to go straight as if the steering wheel wasn't aligned straight and then suddenly it reacts as its aligned straight.

I have changed the tie rod ends and have had wheel alignment done with toe 0.0, all nuts and bolts has been checked and all are tight as they need to be.

My through is that its maybe the steering rack bushings or steering fluid it just seems like an issue i have never encountered before and even when trying to search for this kind of issues i get no hits no matter what i search.

i appreciate you all taking time to reading my post, any questions you may have please let me know as i am really puzzled how this could be.

Best regards
Henrik

Last edited by henriklm; Nov 19, 2018 at 06:07 AM. Reason: to add car model
Old Nov 19, 2018, 06:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hi Henrik

How many miles on the EvO8 ? Could this be a rack/pinion issue where a new rack is in order? Maybe some of the teeth have sheared on the rack?

Heres the symptom chart & the check for excessive play

Old Nov 19, 2018, 06:37 AM

Hi MinusPrevious,

The EVO has roughly 80,000 miles on it, when it turn quickly from left to right i can make it hang at one side for like those 5-10 second in which after it suddely straightens it self up, i belive you might be correct regarding sheared teeths but i dont have any grinding noices or unpleasent vibrations when turning maybe that doesnt matter?

its not doing this at every single turn but 2/10 turns it does do this which is very unpleasent and feels unsafe when driving

Last edited by henriklm; Nov 19, 2018 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old Nov 19, 2018, 07:04 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Heres the part no. for the rack (please double check before ordering) Mitsubishi
MR594661

Joe
Old Nov 19, 2018, 07:13 AM

Hi Joe,

thanks a lot for the help, i guess the steering rack cant be rebuild? If i have to i will purchase the new steering rack.

thanks again!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Eighty thousand miles or thereabouts is when tie rod ends start dying. I had to put one on the other day. I didn't have steering problems though. I'd suggest raising the front of the car on stands and checking for play in all the suspension components and wheel bearings. Also, its possible for the rack itself, mounted in rubber bushings, to start moving. Have someone run the steering lock to lock while you watch underneath.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:45 PM

@barneyb i have just had the tie rod ends changed thats when this issue occured, i think the rack was very loose maybe the bushings and hence stiffer tie rods compared to old shut ones its suddent acting up like this.

i was able to find a second hand EVO 7 steering rack which i am waiting for install, ordered polyurethane bushings from Australia which is on the way, hopefully this will fix the issue.

Thank you for chiming in!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by henriklm
@barneyb i have just had the tie rod ends changed thats when this issue occured, i think the rack was very loose maybe the bushings and hence stiffer tie rods compared to old shut ones its suddent acting up like this.

i was able to find a second hand EVO 7 steering rack which i am waiting for install, ordered polyurethane bushings from Australia which is on the way, hopefully this will fix the issue.

Thank you for chiming in!
I can tell you this from experience, maybe it will help. I had an issue with my evo 8 wanting to pull to the left every time I would punch it. After years of ownership it just started randomly doing this. Felt very unsafe to drive. After messing with it and checking it out over and over I finally found the problem. On my front left wheel, where the control arm bolts to the body of the car, there's a cradle on the frame that the control arm sits in with a big bolt through it. The cradle itself on the body had cracked and my control arm was basically really loose. I thought my problem was steering too but it turned out to be something else. Make sure you put your hands on everything suspension and steering related.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Stark_Tech
I can tell you this from experience, maybe it will help. I had an issue with my evo 8 wanting to pull to the left every time I would punch it. After years of ownership it just started randomly doing this. Felt very unsafe to drive. After messing with it and checking it out over and over I finally found the problem. On my front left wheel, where the control arm bolts to the body of the car, there's a cradle on the frame that the control arm sits in with a big bolt through it. The cradle itself on the body had cracked and my control arm was basically really loose. I thought my problem was steering too but it turned out to be something else. Make sure you put your hands on everything suspension and steering related.
How did you fix it?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
How did you fix it?
Had to do a little surgery lol. There's a fixed nut inside the cradle that the bolt goes into to secure the control arm. The control arm cradle cracked near the nut and the bolt came loose out of there. Welded in a new nut and fixed the crack in the cradle. Everything bolted up and it seems fine.

Last edited by Stark_Tech; Jan 1, 2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 07:53 PM

Sorry you can't see the actual crack or the nut since the control arm is still in the way. This is before I fixed it. Just to show you which part I'm talking about, the little pocket the arm fits into. Everyone should check these for cracks. Could create a very dangerous situation. Takes 5 seconds to look.

Last edited by Stark_Tech; Jan 1, 2019 at 07:31 PM.