Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Failed SMOG in CA *PLEASE HELP*

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Not sure how you Cali guys put up w/this non sense

I feel for ya'll
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:08 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Not sure how you Cali guys put up w/this non sense

I feel for ya'll
CA is really good at finding new ways to eek money out of it's residents. When you have a state full of people that don't work and so are supported by the rest of us, a lot of money is required.
I.E. They are dropping the legal BAC level down to 0.05%, as if 0.08% wasn't ridiculous enough. Whatever they can do to issue more DUIs. There are soooooooooooo many things they fine us for, it's just stupid.
As soon as I decide I no longer what to track my car, I'm out of here. The plethora of race tracks is the main thing that keeps me here. Of course I love the scenery, weather, and all the touristy things I can do.. but F all that. This state ****ing sucks.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:39 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
CA is really good at finding new ways to eek money out of it's residents. When you have a state full of people that don't work and so are supported by the rest of us, a lot of money is required.
I.E. They are dropping the legal BAC level down to 0.05%, as if 0.08% wasn't ridiculous enough. Whatever they can do to issue more DUIs. There are soooooooooooo many things they fine us for, it's just stupid.
As soon as I decide I no longer what to track my car, I'm out of here. The plethora of race tracks is the main thing that keeps me here. Of course I love the scenery, weather, and all the touristy things I can do.. but F all that. This state ****ing sucks.
Kinda hard to square nobody working, while simultaneously being the 6th largest economy in the world. Things make more sense if you look into the history of C.A.R.B. the clean air act etc.
The following users liked this post:
rinoz (Jun 25, 2019)
Old Jun 25, 2019, 02:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
I love the combustion engine. The sites, the sounds, the complexity of tuning it properly, but the most important thing to me is the sensation of acceleration. If there comes a day where it's just too difficult to get away from the constant police harassment due to CARB, i'm going to build a faster and scarier car that doesn't run on fuel at all. A 240sx with a tesla drivetrain. Let's see what they can say about that after I somehow get it registered
Old Jun 25, 2019, 07:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
You can thank the voters of California circa 1978 for a lot of that

https://www.californiataxdata.com/pdf/Prop13.pdf
Old Jun 25, 2019, 07:15 PM

Context

https://timeline.com/la-smog-pollution-4ca4bc0cc95d

I for one am happy not to live in Mordor

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Jun 25, 2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 02:20 PM
kaj

Let me say I'm okay with smog regulation.

It's the inefficiency of how it's done that bothers me. Getting sent to the ref for a colored vacuum line? Bull****. My car passes the sniffer with flying colors but has an aftermarket air filter so I fail? Bull****. I swap an engine into my Civic, from another Civic, and it passes the sniffer and/or OBD-II check, but still fails. Bull****.
If a car passes the sniffer, that should be good enough. If the car passes the OBD-II check, that should be good enough. Visual inspection is bull****.
I drive my car on the road about 1000 miles per YEAR and I can be sent to the ref for having aftermarket parts that aren't C.A.R.B. related. Bull****.

In addition, I think hobbyist should be able to pay some type smog abatement fee like big rigs do, if we can prove we only drive the car XXXX miles per year. That state would STILL get their money (maybe even more...?) but we'd have a lot less legal bull**** to contend with.

But.. living in an overpopulated state, this is the bull**** we have to deal with, so we make do. I still think it's excessive, though.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 02:28 PM
EvoM Guru

No doubt a sad state of atmosphere and eerie look into the future. E85 does not add O-zone depleting greenhouse gasses to the atmosphere, but according to simulations even if all we used was E85, only the levels of the cancer-causing agents would drop and formaldehyde and acetaldehyde would rise. I understand that using E85 over gasoline would not offer any significant advantage for the environment. It's just made cleaner.

I think the bigger issue and largest driver of smog pollution is the number of cars on the road period, rather than the number of people who have tampered with their exhaust systems for performance gains. Motorsports is part of the problem, but has an extremely insignificant effect when compared to the sheer number of cars just driving and burning gasoline, e85, diesel, oil, coolant, and all the other crap. The only cars that are going to fix a problem like the one pictures here are full electrics, hydrogen, and maybe propane powered. Propane powered still produces crap for the environment though and electric car batteries need to be recycled better to keep them from releasing their own gasses into the world.

I would also like to point out something that nobody likes to hear, but it's 100% true. If the population goes up, the problem will get worse. Each person gets at least 1 computer, 1 cell, 1 car, 1 house. Less kids = population goes down AND pollution goes down. Nobody follows this or cares to though.

Last edited by Pal215; Jun 26, 2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 02:48 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Pal215
No doubt a sad state of atmosphere and eerie look into the future. E85 does not add O-zone depleting greenhouse gasses to the atmosphere, but according to simulations even if all we used was E85, only the levels of the cancer-causing agents would drop and formaldehyde and acetaldehyde would rise. I understand that using E85 over gasoline would not offer any significant advantage for the environment. It's just made cleaner.

I think the bigger issue and largest driver of smog pollution is the number of cars on the road period, rather than the number of people who have tampered with their exhaust systems for performance gains. Motorsports is part of the problem, but has an extremely insignificant effect when compared to the sheer number of cars just driving and burning gasoline, e85, diesel, oil, coolant, and all the other crap. The only cars that are going to fix a problem like the one pictures here are full electrics, hydrogen, and maybe propane powered. Propane powered still produces crap for the environment though and electric car batteries need to be recycled better to keep them from releasing their own gasses into the world.

I would also like to point out something that nobody likes to hear, but it's 100% true. If the population goes up, the problem will get worse. Each person gets at least 1 computer, 1 cell, 1 car, 1 house. Less kids = population goes down AND pollution goes down. Nobody follows this or cares to though.
I've seen studies done on the effects of electric cars, particularly the battery manufacturing and disposal. It can lead to worse environmental impacts than fossil fuels, especially if everyone had one.

As for population growth: we're out of control. I've said it a hundred times: Thanos had it right. There are too many people. This means not enough jobs, housing, resources, food, water, etc to go around. If we had less people, everything would be better.
But... as long as people are allowed to have 12 ****ing kids all ***** nilly, that will never change. Agent Smith also had it right when he said humans are like a virus. Totally true. We just can't control ourselves.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 03:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
I've seen studies done on the effects of electric cars, particularly the battery manufacturing and disposal. It can lead to worse environmental impacts than fossil fuels, especially if everyone had one.

As for population growth: we're out of control. I've said it a hundred times: Thanos had it right. There are too many people. This means not enough jobs, housing, resources, food, water, etc to go around. If we had less people, everything would be better.
But... as long as people are allowed to have 12 ****ing kids all ***** nilly, that will never change. Agent Smith also had it right when he said humans are like a virus. Totally true. We just can't control ourselves.

Agreed and it really is sad. Some studies show that the carrying capacity of the world is about 10 Billion, which at the current rate will be reached before 2100. Most of us won't be around to deal with it then, but there is still a chance to turn things around if people learn to control themselves. If things don't change, people will be forced to suffer in a grimy, claustrophobic world of poor air quality, soil quality, water quality, and resource scarcity. People will live among their own waste until conditions become unbearable and something drastic has to take place. A lot of speculation here
Old Jun 26, 2019, 04:14 PM
kaj

We all recognize planet has a finite supply of resources and can only support so many people. There needs to be some sort of cap put on reproduction. I know there will be people that complain about being controlled, in some way, but there is no other choice. I actually work with a woman whom is one of 19 ****ing grandchildren. These are from three couples. THREE. that means they each had 6.3 children. She says this is not uncommon for her family. Their reunions are huge (I've seen pictures). It's just ridiculous. She says it's because they are catholic.
W.......T...........F......?
Off topic, but not really. These kids will all grow up and contribute to all the problems of which we are currently suffering.

None of that is gonna be solved here, so... let's get back to discussing cars
The following users liked this post:
Pal215 (Jun 26, 2019)
Old Jun 26, 2019, 04:17 PM
EvoM Guru

So yeah, the Prius sucks.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 04:30 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Pal215
So yeah, the Prius sucks.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Some say those numbers; 11bil before 2100, are a bit exaggerated.

Some say we will start seeing a decline.

Catholics haha
Old Jun 26, 2019, 05:39 PM

I agree with the spirit of the laws, but I have serious issues with the implementation.

I think the reason it can't be as simple as what comes out the tail pipe is that the smog tests we go through are not comprehensive. The testing the OEM's have to go through is intense, and that recipe or configuration if you will is what gets certified. The smog tests we take these days are relying almost completely on the self reporting capability of the car and its ability to report deviations from that configuration.

There is a mechanism to get a modification approved, but its a huge expense and a PITA to go through. That's why there are so few parts with a C.A.R.B. EO exemption. I think that whole system is a racket and needs reform.

On the broader social topic, the world is just going to keep getting hotter unless we can right the ship. Things aren't look too good though.

Quick Reply: Failed SMOG in CA *PLEASE HELP*