Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need help with build

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Need help with build

Hi i'm new to forum. I am planning to build my 9 this summer. I need some help to determine which power level to go. I had a goal at 600whp so I asked my local tuner and he quoted me 18k-20k to reach 600whp, 7-8k on building engine, 1.5k with clutch and another 7k with FP black turbo and all other mods. But i only have a 9k budget for now. I was thinking about doing the turbo and some supporting parts then get a tune to get 400whp, and build the engine in the future and retune. But the tuner suggests me to build the engine first. What's your guys opinion?

To be honest, I don't even think build an engine can cost 8k. Maybe it would be better if I change my goal to the maximum power that a stock engine can handle with?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
$7k for Turbo seems high (probably includes installation labor). You can save a bit installing parts yourself.
You should start with FP Red and supporting fuel mods on your stock engine and get a tune from reputable tuner. Should be able to easily get 500whp. FP Red runs $1900 new ($1300 used/rebuilt), 1400cc to 1650cc hi z injectors are about $800 new ($600 used), walbro 450 with rewire about $200, turbo back exhaust with O2 housing about $1k (used), intercooler & pipes about $1k, 3-port boost controller about $100, and dual tune about $700.

Engine can range quite a bit. Manley turbo tuff I beam rods are about $800, Manley pistons with upgraded wrist pins about $600, cylinder bore & hone about $1100, block assembly about $800, bearings/gaskets/timing belt/water pump/misc things about $900, valve job with mild porting is about $1800, cams & valve springs about $800. That's $7000. $1.5k for clutch and install with engine is reasonable.

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things.
The following users liked this post:
EVOLUTION GRAND (Feb 16, 2019)
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Use your stock bottom end. Stick to the old rule of not exceeding 400ft/lbs of torque and you'll have a reliable and fun car.

I would also use this opportunity to start working on your own car, and learning as much as you can. It will save you a ton of money in the long run.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
Use your stock bottom end. Stick to the old rule of not exceeding 400ft/lbs of torque and you'll have a reliable and fun car.

I would also use this opportunity to start working on your own car, and learning as much as you can. It will save you a ton of money in the long run.
amen to that.

it would be easy for labor expenses to quickly add up to thousands and thousands on a build, when you can find DIYs on here that do a great job of explaining most of the jobs you will need to do.

Just get a FP red and supporting mods, install it yourself, only spend 3-5 grand, have a car that makes 500+/400 stock block

that's what I did. Lol. Makes for a fun/scary car! I notice I rarely go WOT anymore. Too big of an event when I do that at this point
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
600 is a beast. There’s a bunch of guys running those numbers on these forums and I would read some of their build threads; see what worked well and where things caused issues resulting in serious down time. Also, when going to these higher numbers I tend to agree with the saying “Cheap, fast, reliable...you can only choose two.” This is only my $.02, I’m at 365 whp with bolt-ons so I haven’t taken the plunge into the deep end.

The FPs are great but I really like the CBRD BW EFR kits. They are fairly pricey but an option that could be considered for your goals.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you guys for your input, I see a lot of you are running the red. But as I want my evo to finally achieve 600. I may get a black and some fuel system to start with. And in the future I'll find a tuner to build the engine.

If I start with a FP black to reach 400whp goal just for now. For other supporting parts can I use 600-650whp level parts, Like 2000 injectors, by saying this I mean when i'm ready to build the engine I don't have to upgrade those parts again.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Worst thing, going into a build without proper knowledge of car and mods and leaving it to someone else to make their own decisions, just drive it for now for a year, read up here on all the builds and project cars, save up your money, guarantee your mind with change over the next year and your build will become exactly what you want
Old Feb 17, 2019, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I quoted for about 10k but im not going to do that for 700hp

your mainly paying for labor, all you really need is rods and pistons and get block machined and get the head ported. You dont need an aftermarket crank. Yea its lightweight but I personally dont see the point unless you are drag racing

look for a 6466 turbo with the supporting mods + clutch.

if you dont know how to work on the evo that can get you, but if you do save the money and do it yourself. These shop rates are ridiculous these days

but to give you a good rate. To do it by myself will cost me about 2k tops as I already have the mods and making 500hp. I just need the built block
Old Feb 17, 2019, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I would just get a red or black and run it on the stock block until you can pony up the cash for a built motor. Just keep the torque below 400 and the engine should be fine if you maintain it. As others have said, this is a great opportunity to learn the car and how to work on it. It WILL save you thousands in the long run. There is no shortage of knowledge about the Evo platform on this forum, so as others have suggested you should read up. Also, 600whp is no joke and can be a handful in these cars, so you definitely need a different mindset driving at these levels.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Turndown
I would just get a red or black and run it on the stock block until you can pony up the cash for a built motor. Just keep the torque below 400 and the engine should be fine if you maintain it. As others have said, this is a great opportunity to learn the car and how to work on it. It WILL save you thousands in the long run. There is no shortage of knowledge about the Evo platform on this forum, so as others have suggested you should read up. Also, 600whp is no joke and can be a handful in these cars, so you definitely need a different mindset driving at these levels.
Good points here, 600 is definitely in the sketchy zone I would imagine. Gotta have all the suspension upgrades at that point to keep you going in the right direction.

if you ride that 400tq curve all the way to 8000 rpms, you will be sitting at 609 hp. Does FP black still have steam that high up there?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Wicked_X
Good points here, 600 is definitely in the sketchy zone I would imagine. Gotta have all the suspension upgrades at that point to keep you going in the right direction.

if you ride that 400tq curve all the way to 8000 rpms, you will be sitting at 609 hp. Does FP black still have steam that high up there?
Yeah 600 gets sketchy sometimes for sure. My car is at 600 MD and it likes to move around even on Hankook RS3's. Not the best tire out there, but they're fairly sticky and still don't always grab. Suspension will help, and a good set of rotors/pads wouldn't hurt. The black should pull pretty good up top compared to stock, but they definitely lose steam over say ~7500rpms give or take. My zero dies off pretty noticeably past that point but I am on a 2.3 so it may act a bit differently on a stock motor.