Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Build ideas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build ideas

hey new to the forum I bought an evo8 with an engine that doesn’t turn now because the previouss owner didn’t know how to take of the car didn’t even get a tune. I’m just looking for a new build to push around 400 or whatever is reliable that doesn’t break just looking for the right direction like a built block or what brands to go for appreciate it in advance.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
A stock engine with supporting mods will handle 400awhp. Depending on what’s wrong your engine you could either have it built or buy a new/used shortblock. Your stock 8 turbo won’t make that power goal but an upgrade to an Evo IX turbo and e85 will. Again will supporting mods. And a good tune this time!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 06:33 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hello / Welcome & thanks for posting

Theres more than a few members who have ordered new OEM short blocks direct from the Mitsu dealer. Price is solid

With a stock block you could easily make 400 reliable WHP w/the proper turbo (youre in CA, so E85 is a must)

One of our most trusted high volume builders is ER (English Racing). They offer many diff formats & are experts in the 4G63

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Mar 9, 2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Welcome! I concur with the advise given. Stock block, head, e85 tune, and Evo 9 turbo will get you to 400 easy.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currently the car I have has an evo 9 turbo but the block has issues I haven’t had time to work on it due to work so I’m waiitng for break to get it all done but want to buy all the parts needed for it and since the engine it had was stock just wanted to see if buying aftermarket parts like pistons or built blocks or heads and keep the car around 400 would make it worth it and somewhat reliable. And I already messaged the dealer they have the whole short block pistons rings valves heads new for 4g just wanted to see if there is other stuff out there that would be equal of worth or more
Old Mar 11, 2019, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Johncano
hey new to the forum I bought an evo8 with an engine that doesn’t turn now because the previouss owner didn’t know how to take of the car didn’t even get a tune. I’m just looking for a new build to push around 400 or whatever is reliable that doesn’t break just looking for the right direction like a built block or what brands to go for appreciate it in advance.
Nevermind. Just saw that you have IX turbo already.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Diagnose what's wrong with the existing block before blowing your money it might be something fixable