Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Transition from DSM world

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transition from DSM world

Sold my 2g in december. Been looking for a EB IX since then. Just wondering what peculiarities I should be on the lookout for on a Evo that it doesn't have in common with a DSM.

Basically I know about the ACD christmas tree lights and the 5th gear grind, or any gear grind if its a 6MT. I really want a SE, or an already swapped MR. It has to be Blue or GG. I prefer under 80k and prefer light modded, or no mods. I've been wanting one for 10+ years and Its time, but I want to be the person to do any mods. The most common problem I've had with a DSM is the dumbass that owned it before me just doing half *** jobs on everything they did to them.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 07:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Alright

Be great to get you into an EvO, especially after your 2G experience

There are still some clean stockish examples out there but im sure youve seen the prices. Most all the low mileage pieces are over 20K

The EvO is getting long in the tooth so be on the look out for corrosion damage

Do your homework & get the compression & leak down tests done as well
Old Mar 23, 2019, 08:20 PM

Yeah I dont think Im going to find a 9 around here in a color I like. Much less with the equipment I prefer (se or mr, + leather seats + sunroof).

I am looking for a 18-23k car. I would be foolish to not have it inspected before I fly to purchase a car. But mainly are there any quirks specific to the evo I need to have inspector look out for? Aside from the acd and syncro issues?

I know 2gs are bad about ball joints in the lower control arms separating, rust on strut towers, alternators are crap, they have syncro problems too. And they are very reactive to boost leaks.

What kinds problem areas do evos have other than the acd and gearbox?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 05:59 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Dont think there are specific defective issues that are known. Ive got 60K miles on my ACD EvO & it runs perfect. Spent 4 years on the track w/it as well. Certainly would not mind having a nicely built (TRE built) TC w/out ACD

Its all about how its been treated. You find an EvO thats been launched / dragged, drivetrain issues are certainly possible

Finding an EvO that has had a conscientious owner who has maintained the EvO is important (maintenance records)

There are certainly EvOs out there for sale by dealers where the car has changed hands many times (unknown mod/maint histories)
Old Mar 24, 2019, 02:06 PM

Yeah I've not even been looking at dealers. I quit pretty early on, because they have no idea what the car is or how to sell it.

They will take pictures of the red calipers, the carbon fiber trim on the dash, the mr badge by the shifter. And every angle possible of the outside. Even some of the adds will be "500 horsepower evo, superfast" and no mods list, not even 1 picture of the engine bay.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 04:19 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
good luck sounds like you need it

Last edited by frsh92laser; Mar 27, 2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:52 PM

Yeah I have 8k to go down and my credit union approved me for up 11k on a 03, 14 on a 04/05, and 20k on IX. Just trying to wait for a good Lower mileage IX in EB with the options I want.

I wish these cars were still available new, but literally nothing I can buy now would be a good substitute. Closest thing would be a ****ing mustang since they quit selling the focus RS already. I was actually going to get one this year since it would the whole new car expierance. But I guess I will have to settle for not new car That I've wanted for a decade now lol. Really only 2 cars I really want and haven't had yet are the evo and s2000. An e36 m3 would be cool, but I'm not willing to get something that costs 5-8k and would be a 100% project.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 01:53 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
reds ones go faster.

Last edited by frsh92laser; Mar 27, 2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 05:55 PM

I dont like any of those?

I want a I4 or I6, awd. Preferably 4 doors with a Stick.

Truck has a v8 in it. If I wanted more v8 fun, I'd grab a couple of shanghai spooly boys off ebay and let the 5.3l eat all she wanted, eventually turn my 4l60e into a powerglide, pull it out and get a 80e.

But thats really not what i want.

Old Mar 25, 2019, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Tanro
I'd grab a couple of shanghai spooly boys off ebay and let the 5.3l eat all she wanted, eventually turn my 4l60e into a powerglide
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I came from a DSM. Quality - the Evo is a high quality car, the DSM is not. Being a high quality car the Evo will take much more abuse. The trouble with that is, that is what it frequently got. The good news, parts are still mostly available and reasonable in price.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 03:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Dont think there are specific defective issues that are known. Ive got 60K miles on my ACD EvO & it runs perfect. Spent 4 years on the track w/it as well. Certainly would not mind having a nicely built (TRE built) TC w/out ACD

Its all about how its been treated. You find an EvO thats been launched / dragged, drivetrain issues are certainly possible

Finding an EvO that has had a conscientious owner who has maintained the EvO is important (maintenance records)

There are certainly EvOs out there for sale by dealers where the car has changed hands many times (unknown mod/maint histories)
I would strongly suggest keeping the ACD tcase unless you're shooting for 9 sec or less drag times.

The ACD T case has a huge effect on the cars handling. When flashed it will allow the car to power slide and act more like a RWD car .

To the OP, If you can find a nice car they are alot of fun. Really nice/stock 30K mile car are around 25-33K

Last edited by Abacus; Mar 27, 2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Also, try searching for a car that lived it's life in the dry states. Avoid corroded evos like the plague.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 04:58 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Abacus
I would strongly suggest keeping the ACD tcase unless you're shooting for 9 sec or less drag times.

The ACD T case has a huge effect on the cars handling. When flashed it will allow the car to power slide and act more like a RWD car .

To the OP, If you can find a nice car they are alot of fun. Really nice/stock 30K mile car are around 25-33K
Thanks Tim. My mindset in that comment was just eliminating more of the Gizmos (pump & ACD stuff) & keeping it basic & more mechanical

Appreciate your insights for sure
Old Mar 27, 2019, 07:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Careful with that mindset . Some people delete Mivec on these cars to "keep it simple" when going for big power.There is a point where thats needed don't get me wrong. But your average street car guy appreciates the level of technology these cars have to offer.

Everything has its place , just have to define your goals.

I've driven an evo 8 vs my car and they drive totally different IMO. The evo 8 felt like it was dragging the rear of the car around.