Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 RS daily found

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 RS daily found

Hello guys,

I just registered so you guys can help me out here!
There's very few threads online on the RS version.
Anyways, I own an abarth 500 and selling it now to purchase my dream car ( obviously an 8 or a 9)!!.
I just found an evo 8 RS 2004 with only 17000 Km ( we have the JDM version here ) with a very good price. very clean STOCK one!!
This is going to be my daily car . I work from home now so gas is not going to be a problem. In summer i take the bike if i have meetings due to traffics.
So its going to be mainly for few night rides weekend roadtrips..winter snow fun and will tune later on but never going to be heavily tuned and we don't have tracks here!!

The one i found has powerwindows power mirrors AC but its missing the ABS obviously and this is the main issue here.
I need your advice if this car would be driven as daily specially without ABS? ( we have the whole 4 seasons here!

Would be amazing to hear your opinions !!!
Old Apr 14, 2019, 08:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hello / Welcome

Been an RS owner for 11 years & first of all, not a big fan of ABS. Does your city imploy de-ice chemcials (i.e. salt?)

If so i would recommend to keep the EvO out of the snow weather to avoid body corrosion

Old Apr 14, 2019, 08:35 AM

11!! amazing! we only have 3 months of winter in my city and snow is 30 minutes away.. Mainly we have 10 months of good rain-free weather!
I saw you car man looks amazing! but it looks like a track car. do you DD it?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 08:49 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

My RS has always been just a weekender / track day car. Due to the age of the EvO, i feel using it as a DD is out of the question. If you can treat it as your weekender car that is best IMO.

I wouldnt let the ABS issue, keep you from looking at the RS. Have had ABS on my DD's for years & find it not helpful for my driving style

If you have pics or a link of the RS youre looking at, let us take a look at for you
Old Apr 14, 2019, 08:58 AM

Here you go

Old Apr 14, 2019, 09:21 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Interesting. Looks pretty clean. Wonder how it got the the pwr windows & mirrors? Were they added afterwards or was it an option ordered?

Doesnt appear to have the alum roof as that maybe an EvO9 RS standard

Engine bay looks straight fwd w/little changes. Seats have been changed. Dont recognize that steering wheel? (not the U.S. standard). I see a gauge modification where the ashtray goes

Upper intercooler pipe has been changed

Only 17,000 KM (wow!)
Old Apr 14, 2019, 09:41 AM

yes the power windows and mirrors are optional here.
i still didnt check it out live but i prefer any seat that would replace those blue seats!! not my taste at all.
Knowing that my main target is an evo for a daily, the question is DD an evo RS would be different than lets say an evo 8 GSR?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 09:50 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Dont think you would notice too much diff in a daily drive between the two models. Now, the RS has no sound deadening so there will be just a bit
more cabin noise but it will not be that perceivable
Old Apr 15, 2019, 01:33 AM

Yea i saw some videos about sound deadining DIY if i ever got annoyed from the cabin noise. Appreciated the help and will post some photos once i get it ( hopefully )
Any other opinions?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 03:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
You probably won't notice the lack of ABS with the proper set of tires for the conditions. I spent 10 years driving non-ABS cars through Canadian winters, you learn to brake on the limit and avoid locking the wheels up. That will be a very valuable car one day if you keep the mileage low, and condition pristine. I honestly think it has more collector value than daily driver value already.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driven many cars with no ABS don't let that keep from getting the car....I bought my evo9 in 2006 brand new and still daily it to this day as long as your not looking for the comforts of a luxury car and you actually like to drive your cars you'll love it
The following users liked this post:
huzzle101 (Apr 16, 2019)
Old Apr 15, 2019, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
My RS has always been just a weekender / track day car. Due to the age of the EvO, i feel using it as a DD is out of the question. If you can treat it as your weekender car that is best IMO.
eh but why am I alive though? to do what? I was put on this earth to slip clutches and break transfer cases

we're aging just as fast as these cars are, in another 10 or 20 years we're going to be a broken down mess ourselves, might as well do it together
The following users liked this post:
Nicolas (Apr 15, 2019)
Old Apr 15, 2019, 06:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Name User
eh but why am I alive though? to do what? I was put on this earth to slip clutches and break transfer cases

we're aging just as fast as these cars are, in another 10 or 20 years we're going to be a broken down mess ourselves, might as well do it together
@Name User Dont get me wrong, certainly no need to treat the EvO as a museum piece. Just could not stand it as DD. Would just get tired of it.

Strapping on the EvO, every so often, keeps it fresh for me

Yeah, youre right, life is short. We're only here for a season (3:16)