Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Which one is better not only for tuning, but for fun
Evo 3
31.82%
Evo 9
68.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Wondering what evo to buy. Imported evo 3 vs evo 9

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wondering what evo to buy. Imported evo 3 vs evo 9

Please Help!!!

I love evos, I have since I can remember. I'm a huge JDM fanboy and have been looking for a Japanese tuner car. I've officially decided to get one after a client let me drive his newly imported evo 2. I'm looking into importing an evo 3 in 2020 but I'm also big into the tuning scene and I don't know if it would be able to handle newer ecu and overall mods that I see on this forum. I'm just looking for overall feedback to help me decide if I should get and import the old evo 3 or just bite the bullet and get the newer left hand drive evo 9. Any help is appreciated,
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
I don't think it would be that much cheaper to get an Evo 3 imported into the US over just buying an Evo 9. IIRC, I don't think that they fixed the crank walk issues until after the Evo 4. I would get an evo 9 simply because I would hate to have the steering wheel on the "right" side of the car.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 01:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Being from Canada we've been able to import the older Evo's for a while, so I've seen them all. I wouldn't bother with an Evo 3 if you can find a good price on a 9. If we're talking Evo 5,6 or 6.5...then there's a discussion to have.

Just my opinion though.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 08:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
The Evo3 is cool and all, but can get pretty much the same thing out of any Galant VR4 or 1G/2G dsm. Other than being different theirs no real benefit. Also dealing with RHD would be a pain in the US.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 08:16 AM

Is there a lot of real benefits to going for the evo 9?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by JustSomeKid
All the benefits point to the Evo 9, don't know why you like the Evo 3, than the evo 5 or 6. I'll love me a LHD 5 or 6 but they're very rare to find that are available.....
Evo 9 bc's it's better in every way.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 08:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Besides being a newer nicer thing to be in? All the drivetrain components are beefier. Trans input shaft is bigger, axles bigger, wheel bearings stronger, ball joints stronger, better front and rear suspension geometry, better factory diffs, better aftermarket diff support, much stiffer chassis, more room to fit bigger tires, etc. Its not even a comparable thing stock to stock or mildly modded to mildly modded.

Certainly both have potential but I know which one I'd rather live with.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 08:58 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by JustSomeKid
11 years of Evolution plus parts, mods, service, etc.. will all be much easier to come by with the 9. Unless you have something really special in mind that is worth jumping through a ton of hoops for, hands down the 9.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
Its a no brainer, which one has more parts available, will hold future value much better, updated timeless look and just hands down way better performance. when i was looking to buy my evo 9 i was choosing between e46 m3, gtr or 997. Evo 1-7 didnt even make the list lol

Last edited by RallySport9; Jul 19, 2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 02:06 AM

It would be cool to have an Evo 3 but remember how old the car is and how rubber parts will break down as well and the possibilities of wiring issues due to age. Parts for the 9 will be more available so I would go with the newer model.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Dang, no love for the III? I guess I'm different and would rather have the III over the IX. I have a RHD Evo IV and my buddy has an Evo I that I want. I'm just more fond of the older Evos. It is basically up to you. If you are wanting a fun, light, weekend joy and be different from the crowd, the III is the way to go. If you want newer, more daily driver friendly, creature comforts, etc, then IX is the way to go. Just my opinion coming from someone who has driven every generation of Evo.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 09:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63Rules
Dang, no love for the III? I guess I'm different and would rather have the III over the IX. I have a RHD Evo IV and my buddy has an Evo I that I want. I'm just more fond of the older Evos. It is basically up to you. If you are wanting a fun, light, weekend joy and be different from the crowd, the III is the way to go. If you want newer, more daily driver friendly, creature comforts, etc, then IX is the way to go. Just my opinion coming from someone who has driven every generation of Evo.

Very true. and I'm sure the OP should compare 8/9. They are almost the exact same car with the exception of some non-game changing features (Mivec, face lift, interior lift etc). As far as daily driver friendliness (power windows, ac, radio, seat comfort) you won't find a real difference between an 8 and a 9. That difference is more between the 9 and the X's because the 10's interior is more modern and cushier and extra added weight in a car usually makes it ride smoother. In terms of overall looks, that's all opinion based I suppose.

Last edited by Pal215; Jul 18, 2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
The Evo I-III has ECMLink, which is a very capable tuning solution for the stock (socketed) ECU. I wouldn't worry about that bit. Crank walk is not really a problem on them, to be honest. If you use a light pressure plate on the clutch and don't start the car with the clutch pedal, you'll likely never have an issue. The Evo III had weak piston ringlands vs the Evo I and II, so don't put much boost into them. I would limit it to 325whp to stay on the safe side.
I foresee the price of good, clean Evo IIIs passing the $20,000 mark, so there likely won't be any savings going III vs IX. You'll have to keep in mind that these are two very different cars, though. The IX is a refined, fast and decently reliable car. The III is raw and quick driver's car with some shortcomings, and built on a crap chassis. I'm not a fan of RHD on North American roads, especially if you're going to use the car frequently. Do not buy the III if it's going to be your only car.
As for modifications, the III has a huge aftermarket due to sharing the same engine as the 7-bolt DSM. There are numerous drivetrain parts in common, too. Someone asked "why don't you just buy a DSM instead?" - the answer is that the Evo can be up to 700 pounds lighter than a DSM. For reference, my Evo I RS is 2560 pounds with very little weight reduction - while you can put a Galant VR4 well into the 3400s. You feel that weight, or lack of. Less sound deadening, short gears, lots of torque, and a lot of feedback from the chassis. Hence why it's a driver's car.
For aftermarket stuff, DSM parts will carry you as far as you want to go for power. The FP manifold and turbos bolt on, the aftermarket engine internals are the same, and tuning is easy. The clutch and flywheel are the same as DSM. The rear diff in the III is better than the USDM IX, and you can use any front LSD that fits an AWD DSM (Cusco, Kaaz, Quaife, Ralliart, ATS, you name it). Transmission parts are hard to find, so don't break 1st, 2nd or 5th gear. Those gears are pretty reliable under power, but you can't find them new anymore. The input shaft is plenty strong, and failures don't really occur there. Third & fourth gears break under torque (400+ ft lbs), and the 3/4 hub & slider is extremely hard to find, should it fail. The transfer case has a DSM equivalent, so don't worry about that either. Some axles have USDM equivalents, but they are also strong enough for more power.
Suspension modifications are pretty straight forward, but can be tricky to find. Quality dampers aren't common anymore, and bushing kits are expensive ($1000+). I can promise you will need a set eventually. The brakes aren't up to heavy abuse, but there are numerous stock-caliper upgrades, and some Wilwood-based big brake upgrades. No worries there. You'll fit 215mm tires max in the stock quarters with perfect offset wheels (typically 205), so it's a lively driving experience, but ultimately, not hugely quick on tracks.

The reason why I would go IX over the III is simply parts availability. If you wreck the III, body panels are very difficult to obtain. The bumpers, hood and fenders are Evo-specific, so that means overseas shipping and high parts costs. The roofs rust on all of them, so it will need to be done. As a light bolt-on car with limited usage, the III is a very pleasant experience, provided that the car is in perfect shape, and people love them. Truth be told, not many people know what it is, or that it's anything but an old beater, until they see it's RHD. It's once the car starts to show it's age that's the problem. You shouldn't buy a III if you just want something to use without worries, and then bail on, because I can promise that you'll lose money on it. If you want big, trouble-free power, or to use it every day, the IX is the easy winner. For the enthusiast who wants something unique from a bygone era, the III.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by RS200
clean Evo IIIs passing the $20,000 mark
sorry but that would have to be a collector condition evo 3. I can find you examples of clean evo 3's for under 10k, an IX is literally 3 times the price if you want to compare similar conditions.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by AllAccessedEvolution
sorry but that would have to be a collector condition evo 3. I can find you examples of clean evo 3's for under 10k, an IX is literally 3 times the price if you want to compare similar conditions.
To me, clean means auction grade 3.5 or 4. You can't find any Evo III in Canada for under $10,000 US, never mind going to Japan and getting one. Heck, we barely have any IIIs at all.

Plus they're not US-legal yet. Prices on Evo 1s and 2s went up around 50% when legalization happened, and now prices are starting to rise steeply in Japan; a grade 4 Evo III GSR sold for around $25,000 US at auction 3 weeks ago (2,620,000 JPY). Landed in the US after shipping, duty, brokerage, that's a $30,000+ US car.
Japanese Classics has been selling Evo Is and IIs (decent but not pristine examples) at $16,000 to $17,000. You really think good Evo IIIs will be under $20,000?
https://www.japaneseclassics.com/veh...olution-2-gsr/
https://www.japaneseclassics.com/veh...hi-evo-1-rs-2/
https://www.japaneseclassics.com/veh...ishi-evo-1-rs/

A decent Evo IX with around 100,000 miles can be had in the US for low 20s.