Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

o2 Sensors failing/P0134/afr/stumbling

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2023, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
o2 Sensors failing/P0134/afr/stumbling

A little backstory just so it's known what is done to the car and what has taken place. 2018 I got the car tuned by Slowmotion Motorsports. I had them do a boost leak test at the same time with all the new parts. Ended up bringing it back twice due to it dying on me and afrs all over and rpm all over. Should have been my first clue it was a bad idea as everything with the previous tune (previous owner) ran great I was just looking for a small bump in power. My afrs still bounce all over according to my logs and the wideband during idle and partial throttle. Idle can bounce from 12 up to 18 or so. This doesn't happen everytime but most of the time it's after slowing down and then coming to a stop. This is ever since the tune so nothing really new there but I gave up on going back as I now live further away (used to be within half hr). Also I can log but can't get back into the tune for changes as I don't think I have the same definitions they used.

On to current times. I haven't driven too much as I am having some other issues (transfer case whine) but it still runs and drives minus the current issue. This started last year on my way to work when I was coming home and the car would stumble giving it either partial throttle or cruising 60mph or so. Afrs will go from 14.7 or so and then randomly down to 11 or even 9 I saw it once. It would happen then would be alright for a bit then stumble again. Doesn't stumble everytime the afrs bounce around. Almost feels the same as fuel cut that I had with my old eclipse. After enough of this it'll trigger the CEL for the o2 sensor. I can reset it with EvoScan but will eventually come back after some driving. I am on my second Denso o2 sensor but now debating if the sensor itself is the issue or where to go from here. I have read boost leaks, battery, o2 sensor all could be the issue. I'm going to start with getting a new battery as that is needed regardless. I think I have typed out what all I can think of at this point that might be relatable. Any help/direction would be appreciated. Thank you

Parts added before tune:
STM intercooler w/Muse upper and lower piping TiAL BOV to atmosphere
FP71hta
DW fuel pump
FIC 950cc injectors
Grimmspeed 3 port
Speed Density w/Intake
Removed all Egr
Zeitronix Wideband
Deka etx16 battery added in 2015
MAP o2 housing
Test Pipe w/full 3" exhaust
Denso 234-4741
Old Mar 25, 2023, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 134 Likes on 123 Posts
Did you save previous tune? If yes, load it up and see what happens...on a mild test run at first...
Old Mar 25, 2023, 02:07 PM

I have thought about that and ecuflash won’t let me load the current data. I think the base definitions they used I don’t have unless I’m not understanding how that works. I used to be able to get into it. I do have the previous tune saved though. I might have to try and put some stock parts back on as well.

Originally Posted by osetsky
Did you save previous tune? If yes, load it up and see what happens...on a mild test run at first...
Old Mar 29, 2023, 08:02 PM

I was finally able to get the current tune saved after reading a million posts on how to pull the id out of the rom when it comes up as unknown. So I will be able to go from here and see if loading the previous tune will work or reading some more on the current one and making some tweaks.