Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Down With Mitsubishi

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2004, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Down With Mitsubishi

There is all this talk of Mitsubishi going bankrupt. I was very glad to see the Evo finally in the States but I've always wondered, why did it take it 8 generations before it did? If Mitsubishi goes bankrupt I'd think that the lag of the Evo in the states helped them go down.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

even today they are losing money on the evo, the market in north america just can't justify paying top $$$ for just technology.. they want creature comforts like heated leather seats.. it's a different mentality in japan..

-joe
Old Apr 27, 2004, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

'04 Evo has leather seats. I bought my '03 red evo last night, and the dealer offered for me to wait 3 weeks for when their '04 Silver one came in with leather recaros.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by AvatarOfWar
'04 Evo has leather seats. I bought my '03 red evo last night, and the dealer offered for me to wait 3 weeks for when their '04 Silver one came in with leather recaros.
yeah, it pisses me off that me and the rest of the first year buyers got jipped out of a few good options like the leather recaros, and better sound sytem.

anyway back to the subject, maybe if mitsu didnt have such bad customer service they would be doing better in the usa.

And on a side note, dont know if you people know this but there is a law suit in japan now on mitsu for denying warranty and not informing their customers of recalls. makes you think how many recalls our cars have that are being kept locked in the ceo's desk
Old Apr 27, 2004, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by AvatarOfWar
Didn't you already have a 360 WHP Evo and replaced it with an '03 Cobra? Did you see the light (Again) and buy another Evo?

'Grats on the purchase, man.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 07:59 AM

Sorry, but the 04's arent coming till late Aug/Sept. Mitsu lost a ton of money on the 0/0/0 fiasco. Letting a bunch of dead-beats take cars and not pay for them for a whole year and then reposess them because of non-payment. Thats why I got NOTHING on my Eclipse trade.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 08:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by MENTY
Sorry, but the 04's arent coming till late Aug/Sept. Mitsu lost a ton of money on the 0/0/0 fiasco. Letting a bunch of dead-beats take cars and not pay for them for a whole year and then reposess them because of non-payment. Thats why I got NOTHING on my Eclipse trade.
The perils of trying to market to the youth.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 08:37 AM

I just bought my Evo last weekend. I'm glad I got the 03, because I hate Leather seats! And on another note, the stock stereo system in the EVO is actually pretty kick *** compared to some others. It's way better than the bose stereo system that came stock in my RSX-S.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Japanese maufacturers do not like to halt production they try to keep their workers employed so tend to take some measures that other corporations would not.

As for Evo causing financial problems; that is why it was considered a risk and why it took so long to bring in the car to the US. I doubt it would be here now if Sub had not brought in the WRX. The largest market chunk is in CA ane CARB regs are tough to meet. The Fed. restrictions fir a fmic were a problem as well. Sub had the Fed. prob solved since they mount the IC under the hood scoop (Opposed engine design).

I am not impressed with any of the Mitsu sound systems however the seven speaker Infinity set up in the "00" Eclipse gt I traded in on my evo was a lot better than the evo's. On the up side, the evo system is better than the even more marginal system in the wife's "00" Diamonte.

Leather seats are my favorite (althought they are slippery). I laid out $900 to have the Eclipse redone front and rear in glove leather. I don't know what kind of job Recaro does with leather (Nardi is awsome) but my after market leather was much much better than my factory Mitsu leather.

I lost 10K in value for the three years I had my Eclipse but the up grade to Evo was worth it (fun, fast, turns heads, and loaded with potential.

Last edited by WildRice; Apr 27, 2004 at 09:05 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by NYEVO8

yeah, it pisses me off that me and the rest of the first year buyers got jipped out of a few good options like the leather recaros, and better sound sytem.

The alcantra (ultrasuede) material in the 03's is much better for those who actually bring their cars to the track.

When is the last time you saw real race seats covered in polished leather?

SC~ who hates leather
Old Apr 27, 2004, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

I sat in a Ferrari with leather and believe me it felt awsome but the grip on the stock "03" recaros really keep your butt where it belongs... I will not comment on the effect that heated leather have but they make you feel like you are doing something naughty.
Hey chimp.. congrats on owning a real mini.. not the BMW built wanna be.. my fist car was a 62 AH BT7 and minis would eat me alive.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 09:20 AM

Oh man, I hope I can get an Evo before the 04 comes out, I hate leather in performance cars!
Old Apr 27, 2004, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The leather is an option in 04 not a neccessity.. You can buy an 04 without leather.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by AWD 20T
Oh man, I hope I can get an Evo before the 04 comes out, I hate leather in performance cars!
Don't worry, it's an upgrade anyway. You can still get the same seats in the 04 as the 03 had. IF it ever comes to our shores that is.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope mitsubishi will drop the price for the Evo. There is a lot of new sport cars are coming out soon. Like the new Supra, Elise, the new NSX, a more powerful G35 and much more