Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Transfer Case Warranty Void!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2004, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8nj
.. just curious.. why are you going back to stock tcase oil? i changed all to redline at 1000 miles, and have 1500 on her now.
http://buschurforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2500
Old Apr 30, 2004, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

which oil did you put in though? 75W95NS?

-joe
Old Apr 30, 2004, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

jerry, where did you pick it up at? which mitsu ?
Old Apr 30, 2004, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

I haven't got the Mitsu Oil yet. I'll pick some up this Monday at Malloy here in woodbridge. The Parts guy there is kewl =P
Old Apr 30, 2004, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sillypuddy
which oil did you put in though? 75W95NS?

-joe
75W-90 from http://www.myoilshop.com/AutoPrds.html
Old Apr 30, 2004, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ultor
did you talk to your dealer about the synthetics being in there? As long as they meet the requirements, you should be ok i would think. its the same weight and still GL-5 rated. And the post you forwarded (thank you for the info) mentions heat being the issue. Redline claims to reduce heat by 10-70%
i have 75w-90 in mine now for about 500 miles, and i'm gonna talk to the dealer today to see what they say.

Last edited by evo8nj; Apr 30, 2004 at 07:53 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

If John Shepard and David Buschur say don't run Redline in the TC I’m gonna listen =)

And the dealer guys have no F'ing clue wtf the gear oil is. Mitsu sends it, and they stick it in. I doubt talking to them about what rating or weight the oil is, is going to be helpful... Just another one of their interrogation processes =P
Old Apr 30, 2004, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

... so you are going back to the stock hypoid in the tc.. what about your tranny and rear? I'm synthetic there too now... and was all happy about it until i read your post

and i agree.. the dealer is not gonna know smack.. and won't care too much until i roll in with a problem. then they'll start singing the song " oh.. well.. warrenty voided.. you have synthetics in there.. "..

thanks for input..
Old Apr 30, 2004, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Yea, I’m keeping the Redline fluid in the Rear Diff / Tranny, and changing the Transfer case Oil.

Lemmie put it this way... When I first walked in and said I wanted replacement gear oil for my Evo's Transfer case, the parts guy said "those things got a Transfer case?"

I sold my warranty.... why have it, their never going to honor it.

You know why Mitsubishi $tealerships are more than happy to sell you a 75K mile/5 year warranty on Evos? It's not because their confident in their product. It's because they know chances are they will be able to void the warranty or just conveniently say "no" and get away with it. There are not a lot of people who buy Evo's and NOT mod them....

Hmm.... I feel a poll coming on ;P
Old Apr 30, 2004, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

.. verrrry educational..
and we'll never be exactly sure if the oil could break the tc, because it's a problematic unit to start with!! i jumped into changing mine out because i read all the horror stories about them breaking. I do think i am going to go back now. if anything.. it's one LESS thing they can point their fingers at if it does indeed break.

Just out of curiosity.. has anyone priced a new TC out?
Old Apr 30, 2004, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo8nj
and we'll never be exactly sure if the oil could break the tc, because it's a problematic unit to start with!!
I know, sux >=(

I'm saving my pennies, so I can take a trip Turbo Trix, and have them fix Mitsu's F-up
Old Apr 30, 2004, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ultor
I know, sux >=(

I'm saving my pennies, so I can take a trip Turbo Trix, and have them fix Mitsu's F-up
TurboTrix is just around the corner for me.. last i heard from keith is that they were gonna build and sell a Transfer Case that is much stronger, but they are worried that Mitsu will turn around and issue a recall on their units, which of course would kill their replacement sales.
They said they are gonna wait it out a little, see what happens. This was about a month ago.
I think they should do it anyway. Odds are if Mits does come out with a recall, there are many out there who want something bulletproof, and you're only gonna get that in the aftermarket products..
Old Apr 30, 2004, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Changing to a twin disk does and should void the warranty. The stock clutch is the weak link that protects the drive train. A twin disk allows much more power delivery to the drive train raising the likelihood of failure.

Be reasonable guys! You broke the car by using it beyond it design. It didn't disintegrate under “normal” use.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

yeah u may wanna have them tell u their warranty carefully. i had to call mitsubishi myself & ***** them out over my lower lip in the front coming off & they said i hit a curb. its funny how there is no scratches but yet i hit something.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Avatarofwar you back in an Evo.I thought you sold it for the Cobra.Confused in your post it sounded like the Evo was present tense.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Warranty Void!