Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Might Trade EVO for RX-8

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2004, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my daily driver is a 350Z track...comfortable, good gas mileage and goes pretty good.

i test drove a RX8 and didn't like it to much...so i bought the Z.

winston
Old May 14, 2004, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Buy a bucket for commuting and keep the Evo. You will appreciate it more when you switch back to the Evo after a week in the bucket. however, if you can't afford an Evo what makes you think the rx-8 is the answer. The Z and G35 are better choices IMO as many have stated and if i had to drive the Evo every day in traffic like today I would consider another car also. I have a beater Camry with 260 grand as my daily luxery mobile. Well compared too the Evo it feels luxerious in traffic and cruising. i have always had a beater to put miles on and always will. Nice car and performance cars are saved for their intended purposes. OUT!
Old May 14, 2004, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nsnguyen
Just do what I did and buy an awd legacy for 5 grand to drive every day. That way the evo stays nice and in warranty. 5 grand is far less than you lose on the trade and if you don't like it you can always sell it.
That's the best advice so far

Why "abuse" a nice machine like an Evo, RX-8, G35, 350Z, M3, etc. for 90 boring miles of highway slogging? Use a beater and save a nice car for pleasure!

Emre
Old May 14, 2004, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

factory was forced to buy back the rx8 from it's customers (if they wanted to) because they're hp claims were grossly overinflated.
Old May 14, 2004, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

It was down between the Evo and the RX-8 for me before I finally ended up buying the Evo, so I've looked at the RX-8 pretty hard and drove it extensively.

Points for the RX-8:

Nicer interior
Better depreciation
Excellent weight distribution (50/50) and corresponding handling
Adults understand the RX-8 -- few over 30 do so for the Evo
Stock sound system a slightly bit better than Evos, but that isn't saying much
Ride is smoother than Evo, but not by much. I still would classify it as "stiff"
Exotic looks that you either love or hate

Points against the RX-8

Reliability not established yet: last generation RX-7s were pretty bad, but Mazdas in general are pretty good (JD Power and Consumer Reports figures)
Poor gas mileage (18 MPG is average)
Suicide doors make it akward for rear passengers to get in and out
As surprisingly good as the back seat room is, the Evo is better in every dimension
No spare tire unless you get the optional tire, then you lose a ton of trunk space
RWD not great in sloppy weather (vs. Evo's AWD)
Oil consumption expected with Renesis engine
Weak torque
Cramped front seat
Low seating position
Top of the line is more expensive than Evo
Much, much slower in real life than the Evo
Limited modability (if that matters to you, which it probably doesn't)

Don't get me wrong: I like the RX-8 very much. But it seems like quite a step down in performance with a corresponding step up in interior quality and ride. Is it worth the trade-off? I didn't think so, but the only person that really counts is you. Good luck to you in your decision.

Lee K
Old May 14, 2004, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ducaticorse
factory was forced to buy back the rx8 from it's customers (if they wanted to) because they're hp claims were grossly overinflated.
Yeah, there was a buyback offer for the first set of RX-8s sold because Mazda advertised 250 HP instead of the 238 HP that was was reality after doing dyno testing with US spec cars. Most owners took advantage of the buy-out and turned around and bought another brand-new RX-8. Heck, I would too: you got essentially a free car to use for the few months it was in effect.

Lee K
Old May 14, 2004, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by Lee_K
Yeah, there was a buyback offer for the first set of RX-8s sold because Mazda advertised 250 HP instead of the 238 HP that was was reality after doing dyno testing with US spec cars. Most owners took advantage of the buy-out and turned around and bought another brand-new RX-8. Heck, I would too: you got essentially a free car to use for the few months it was in effect.

Lee K
I think it was a buy back or cash offer. This is what they did with the early 2001 Miatas. You could give them back the car or take a $750 payoff in the form of a gift card (could spend it like a Visa). I took the card as I was happy with the car. The RX8 probably had more cash offered. I would guess $1000, but I don't know.

It is shocking that the same company could do this twice!!! I'm sure it cost Mazda a bundle on both occassions.

Back to your question. I don't think the RX8 is going to be a better commuter car. As many have suggested, buy something cheap for your daily driver. I would suggest any of the deisel VWs. You should get over 40 mpg on the highway with those TDIs.
Old May 14, 2004, 08:32 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with a BMW M3. Nice car and definitly the way to go if your into the comfort thing.
Old May 14, 2004, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gtr
Go with a BMW M3. Nice car and definitly the way to go if your into the comfort thing.
sure, if you can afford it :P hey how about a maybach?

anyways, at least in the 30k range i still say g35 coupe

Last edited by reefro; May 14, 2004 at 08:45 PM.
Old May 14, 2004, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

I give a vote do the G35 coupe..I drove it and it was amazing.
Old May 14, 2004, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

i was between the Rx-8 and the Evo too. I test drove the Rx and i wasn't pleased with the power. it definetly didn't feel like 250hp (coming from a former 01 V8 mustang driver). it was later in the news that they had false claims of 250hp anyway. it is a hot looking automobile, i must admit. for longevity purposes, i don't recommend the rx-8 as a daily driver/commuter. i drove the Evo and i was sold! end of story.
i agree with the rest. a g35 coupe should suit you well. class with power for that ***! good luck in your choice.

T
Old May 14, 2004, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

bmw=horrible reliability
i scour the e46 forums every now and then. the first e46 m3 had a recall because the engines blew. alot
i had an e46 before. that thing as easy as i drove it was nothing but crap and headaches.

rx8= looks cool, but really weak. i was deciding between that and the evo when i was trading in the bimmer. no power at all (the automatic anyway)

i'd hit craigslist or ebay and get a beater and keep the evo, plus you'll save ins. money by putting the beater as a primary, you keep the evo, an everyone is happy
Old May 14, 2004, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

yeah actually i would consider getting a used s2000 in a few years
Old May 15, 2004, 05:52 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

How about a pontiac GTO or Crossfire? Or you could fall back on G35, IS300, or new Acura TL?

Personally if i were in the market for boring carsi'd probably go with 240 Benz C-Class 6-speed or bimmer. I dont' know if you're aware that they have 4 year free service and they actually pick you up drop off your loaner car and take you car in I wonder when is the day Mitsubishi provided such service.

Anyways, I feel the current evo is too soft on the springs. I am really considering the MR because it the limits might be higher due to the active diffs?
Old May 15, 2004, 06:24 AM

g35

Quick Reply: Might Trade EVO for RX-8