Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Might Trade EVO for RX-8

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2004, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree w/most ppl before who voted for the G35. My best friend has the coupe and its a niiice car.

I didn't realise though that depreciation on the Evo was so high...
Old May 17, 2004, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

g35c all the way
Old May 17, 2004, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by mjones53
looks like I will be keeping the EVO, the trade in value it horrible already. Had the car less then 6 months and they only want to give me like $23500, for a car I just paid $32k for., don't think so.
That actually isn't bad for your trade-in considering you can get a new 03 for $27,000.
Old May 17, 2004, 01:04 PM

I thought car dealers always gave you at least book value which still shows being $26800 at Kelly Blue Book. My car is still like new, never abused it in any way. Just drive to work and back.
Old May 17, 2004, 01:05 PM
Account Disabled

Why not just get a plain jane Lancer.
Old May 17, 2004, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Dealerships are hurting for sales and PROFIT on sales. There's a new game in town that says "why pay you book when I can buy a used one at the auction for thousands less?" I have noted that many dealers want to steal your trade anymore.

I used to sell cars many years ago and have noted many changes in the business since then. As the consumer got smarter, they had to change the rules of the game. Selling new cars isn't as profitable (especially if you are a Mitsu dealer) as many people believe it to be. Used cars are where the money is it. Steal the trade!

Mjones53, I agree the ride is a little rough but.... I can't stop grinning from ear to ear every time I hop in for my daily commute. I still need to install cruise control, though...
Old May 17, 2004, 01:48 PM

G35 coupes are sweet
Old May 17, 2004, 02:02 PM

Yes, I am somewhat glad I will not be trading, I really do like the car, I will just have to get use to the noises, not even so much the ride. Just the noise of the transmission and rattles is what really drives me crazy.
Old May 17, 2004, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

ya the rx-8 was somethin i had my eye on for a long time, then when i test drove it i was deeply unimpressed... i had a 2001 eclipse gt b4 that, automatic, and i test drove a manual rx-8 n wasnt impressed at all, but when i drove the evo 8 (took me 2 days to get the dealer to agree to let me test drive it after piles of paper work) it completely made me forget about the price and i was ready to sign the finance papers all in all, i havent test driven the g35, but that seems like that daily driver that would win the competition at least to the majority of the others. but neway, i guess im kinda late since you're not goin to be tradin in the evo, so happy drivin!!
Old May 17, 2004, 02:24 PM

The gas mileage in the rx8 is what really makes me have a hard time from seriously considering purchasing the car. Hearing too many stories of 16 mpg or less on the rx8 forum is pretty scary.

Btw, I tried but was unsuccessful, can someone please set up a new topic with a poll for evo owners to answer about their gas mileage under normal driving conditions for me (with answer choices like 16-17 mpg, 18-19 mpg, etc.)?? I've seen some answers by searching but they seem to be everywhere from 15 to 25. Thanks for any help.
Old May 18, 2004, 07:24 AM

Here's another suggestion: an Accord EX V6 6-speed coupe. They're substantially cheaper than the G35 (even less than an RX-8, tho not by much). To my mind, it's about the perfect commuter car. It's plenty fast (5.9 0-60), has a wonderful tranny, a good ride, can handle a twisty road, gets decent gas mileage, is cheap to insure, has Honda reliability and resale, and is inconspicuous when it comes to cops and cretins (people who like to key cars and such). I know: it's no Evo. But we're talking commuter cars here, and this is one that strikes a nice balance among a fairly broad set of priorities.

S.
Old May 18, 2004, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Find someone who works for Ford to hook you up with an S-Plan discount. With that discount, an automatic RX-8 works out to be about $21K.
Old May 18, 2004, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

An RX 8 is a nice vehicle, but is probably even less well suited for commuting than the EVO: the seats can't be as comfortable, you sit much lower, visability is poor, and the interior is claustraphobic. It probably has cruise control though, which is nice. I see most of the same issues with the G-35 but would pick the RX-8 over it.
Old May 18, 2004, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by typeR430
actually from what i heard about the rx8, it outperformed the ///M3 on a road coarse, it doesnt have massive power, and it takes up to 9000rpm to get some good power, but u gotta remember that its 50/50 weighting, the whole engine is 1.3 liters and its entirely behind the front wheels, and the 50/50 weight distribution doesnt change whether u have passengers or not, it outperformed the evo even in emergency avoidance maneuvers and did it smoother than the others
i dont believe that
underpowered rx8 with iffy (comfortable) suspension outperformed M3?
which m3 was it cause sure as hell it wasnt '01-04 M3
Old May 18, 2004, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

How about a Neon SRT-4 for a commuter car? =)

Quick Reply: Might Trade EVO for RX-8