Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Shell Fuel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2004, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did notice my local Shell had relabeled the "premium" as "V-Power", but i didn't pull into the pumps to see the octane. 'Nother marketing ploy, perhaps, but Shell is the best deal going near my house at 2.59/gal. Kinda sad...

ferb!
Old Jun 4, 2004, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

We've had V-Power for some time already, it's a 98 RON petrol here, don't know if it's the same formulation as the USA. There's word that we should stay away from it cos it's been through some oxygenation process which supposedly gives higher in-cylinder temperatures.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 12:20 AM
Evolving Member

We got 98 in my country, and 92 is lowest.
Now I'm using V-power (93) in Texas, freaking pricy to me now. It's 2.06/gal, it used to be lower than 2.00/gal.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 01:24 AM
Account Disabled

I saw a thing on The History Channel about the oil/gas pipelines in the US that was quite an eye-opener.

According to this show, ALL GAS IS THE SAME (all gas of the same octane that is).

Hypothetically, when say, Shell Oil adds gas to the pipeline in texas, they are entitled to remove that same ammount anywhere in the USA, so when they remove gas somewhere else, it may in fact be gas from 76 refinaries. This is true since everyone adds their gas into the same pipeline.

The only way they have to differentiate their product is by the additives that they add in later at their regional processing plants, but, according to the program, all the additives do basically the same thing anyway.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Crufty Dusty
We've had V-Power for some time already, it's a 98 RON petrol here, don't know if it's the same formulation as the USA. There's word that we should stay away from it cos it's been through some oxygenation process which supposedly gives higher in-cylinder temperatures.
Yeah, we have Shell 98 RON petrol here too.. But Shell call it "Shell Optimax".. Gives a few extra Bhp it has to be said..
Old Jun 5, 2004, 02:04 AM

We all know that Shell spends heaps of money on marketing... Singapore's version of VPower is 98RON and we also have a formula 98 (which is also 98RON).
Old Jun 5, 2004, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by dansplace
We all know that Shell spends heaps of money on marketing... Singapore's version of VPower is 98RON and we also have a formula 98 (which is also 98RON).
So all in all they just renamed this fuel in hope of a change of name would increase sales by making people think it was something new?? Damn...
Old Jun 5, 2004, 02:54 AM
Evolving Member

You can read more about the fuel here. Personally, I'm skeptical and don't think it's worth the premium compared to other fuels.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in my region, yes, regular gas is the same, comes from the same refinery. Same with premium, the difference comes when they add their additives. It is the additives that make the difference, and that is what makes one gas better than another. MOST cars can use regular without problem, the evo is not one, at least not without lowering the performance.

As I said before, if you have a complaint with your gas don't blame the gas companies, it is the State and Federal government that decides what you get.

Over the years gas has become a strange brew, not like gas that we used to get at all. I have heard performance buffs refer to todays gas as water compared to gas from the past.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

That gas is also supposed to give better gas mileage than the previous high octane fuel. but i dont know never tried it.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Shell V-Power is 93octane, I just filled up half a tank with it last night...It's the same price as it was called "premium", they just re-named it..