Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

trade evo for 03 cobra

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2004, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cobra's Are Like Tampons Every *ussy Has One.......
Old Jun 12, 2004, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PHILLY EVO
Cobra's Are Like Tampons Every *ussy Has One.......
it's so true.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Okay, here is an in-depth summary of the points brought up by everybody.

Reliability
The Cobra is a car that is meant for power. Therefore, the components are very well designed. The stock drivetrain can tolerate up to and upwards of 500-600 bhp with no problem. With the Evo, if you're pushing 400 bhp you will have issues with the diffs, transfer case, clutch, etc. The Evo is a good design for the stock power level, however, it's not designed to handle that much power. So for reliability's sake in the quest for horsepower, the Cobra is a better choice.

Power delivery
We're comparing a big V8 with a blower and a small 4-cylinder with a turbo. Both can have the same peak output, but the V8's torque curve will always be flatter and more linear. It's just the nature of the beast. The Evo can make the same amount of power, but the power that come will be a little spiky: nothing at first until the turbos spool up, then a massive amount until it drops off. Again, it's not as smooth and progressive as the bigger V8.

This is what gives the Cobra an advantage in acceleration from all speeds; the V8 doesn't need to spool up. It just goes.

Traction
With this much power, you're going to have to deal with traction. The Cobra is going to have the same advantage as the Evo in the dry, believe it or not. The suspension isn't ideal for drag, but it can put down the power provided you can launch cleanly and know its tendency to spin.

The Evo, however, will hook with AWD in any condition, but the problem, again, will be the reliability of the drivetrain components. So your sense of equipment care, and your wallet, will dictate how well your Evo hooks

Handling
I would have to give the edge in handling to the Evo, provided you know your limit enough to be able to tell the difference between the two. But the Evo is very composed at any speed, while the Cobra feels like it's on the jagged edge at all speed. It's just how the cars are tuned. The Evo is a precision driving machine, while the Cobra is a muscle car that has a good suspension so that it could put down the power.

It's ultimately your call, but for me, I would have to give the Evo a clear win over the Cobra. The Evo is just so responsive and well-tuned out of the box that it would take a lot of work on the Cobra to be able to carry the same amount of pristine handling.

Appearance
Looks are subjective, so there you go

Value
I think they both are very a good value if this is your type of car. I think the Cobra may actually be a better pick if you like having factory support in terms of the warranty. Mitsubishi isn't picking up the slack quickly enough so if you have issues it may turn into problems.

The Cobra, on the other hand, may be a little rough on the edges, but overall it's a good, solid car with gobs of power.

So ultimate it's your call. If it were me, though, I would not trade the Evo for any other car available for sale in the U.S. I have driven almost every car we can get our hands on, and the Evo fits me best. I think if I traded my car in, I would regret it later. I'm really enjoying it so far, warranty problems and everything else
Old Jun 13, 2004, 12:14 AM

^ Excellent Post
Old Jun 13, 2004, 12:56 AM
Evolved Member

I say do it. The Cobra has got to be worth more than the Evo. What you do is sell the Cobra, buy another Evo and you should still have a few $$$ left for mods....................
Old Jun 13, 2004, 02:23 AM
Evolved Member

Don't do it !!!!!!!

Current Mustangs still use the same body platform they used in the 70's.. That's probably why they handle like sh**.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

if you really want a good advice contact Avatar of War from this board. he had an EVO which he sold and than got a 03' cobra. 3 months later he sold the cobra and guess what he bought?? yep, another evo.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kevin
think of it this way.. your buddy with 580 whp wants your car!!!!!!!!
Theres a reason why he wants to get rid of his 580hp beast! ask him why and just keep your car
Old Jun 13, 2004, 07:20 AM

Keep the Evo!!! I've got a 01 Z06, I know its not the same as a cobra (Z06 handels a hell of a lot better imo) but still american muscle. I would keep my evo in a heart beat over the z06 if I had to decide.

580 whp is great on paper but can he put it down on the road. Unless I have perfect conditions and brand new tires my z06 just spins for 3 sec while my evo is long gone!!!!!

Yea from 80 mph to 170 the z06 is the ****, as probable is the cobra,, but with a littel rain I drive white knuckled at 40mph.

Plus at 580whp who knows how much abuse the drive train has taken????

THere are a lot of great turbo kits that are developing and you could bring your evo up to that kind of 4whp if your worried about dyno braging rights (god knows I'd never be guilty of that!) Damn that would be one fast great handling Evo!!!!
Old Jun 13, 2004, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Why the hell would you wanna trade a world-class performance car for a white trash ferrari?
Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

If you want to see some pics of my 03Cobra go to www.webshots.com and do a search for xstang

Originally Posted by g6civcx
Reliability
The Cobra is a car that is meant for power. Therefore, the components are very well designed. The stock drivetrain can tolerate up to and upwards of 500-600 bhp with no problem. With the Evo, if you're pushing 400 bhp you will have issues with the diffs, transfer case, clutch, etc. The Evo is a good design for the stock power level, however, it's not designed to handle that much power. So for reliability's sake in the quest for horsepower, the Cobra is a better choice.

Power delivery
We're comparing a big V8 with a blower and a small 4-cylinder with a turbo. Both can have the same peak output, but the V8's torque curve will always be flatter and more linear. It's just the nature of the beast. The Evo can make the same amount of power, but the power that come will be a little spiky: nothing at first until the turbos spool up, then a massive amount until it drops off. Again, it's not as smooth and progressive as the bigger V8.

This is what gives the Cobra an advantage in acceleration from all speeds; the V8 doesn't need to spool up. It just goes.

Traction
With this much power, you're going to have to deal with traction. The Cobra is going to have the same advantage as the Evo in the dry, believe it or not. The suspension isn't ideal for drag, but it can put down the power provided you can launch cleanly and know its tendency to spin.

The Evo, however, will hook with AWD in any condition, but the problem, again, will be the reliability of the drivetrain components. So your sense of equipment care, and your wallet, will dictate how well your Evo hooks

Handling
I would have to give the edge in handling to the Evo, provided you know your limit enough to be able to tell the difference between the two. But the Evo is very composed at any speed, while the Cobra feels like it's on the jagged edge at all speed. It's just how the cars are tuned. The Evo is a precision driving machine, while the Cobra is a muscle car that has a good suspension so that it could put down the power.

It's ultimately your call, but for me, I would have to give the Evo a clear win over the Cobra. The Evo is just so responsive and well-tuned out of the box that it would take a lot of work on the Cobra to be able to carry the same amount of pristine handling.

Appearance
Looks are subjective, so there you go

Value
I think they both are very a good value if this is your type of car. I think the Cobra may actually be a better pick if you like having factory support in terms of the warranty. Mitsubishi isn't picking up the slack quickly enough so if you have issues it may turn into problems.

The Cobra, on the other hand, may be a little rough on the edges, but overall it's a good, solid car with gobs of power.

So ultimate it's your call. If it were me, though, I would not trade the Evo for any other car available for sale in the U.S. I have driven almost every car we can get our hands on, and the Evo fits me best. I think if I traded my car in, I would regret it later. I'm really enjoying it so far, warranty problems and everything else

I've owned both cars... I agree with much said except for the Cobra and Evo hooking the same in dry weather. My 03 Cobra would spin the tires at 60MPH. As far as reliability, the Cobra rearend is weak. I replaced two and my third one was leaking fluid when I traded it in. The car also had a ticking issue between the #7 and #8 cylinder. Ford actually had to stop production at one point in November 2002 to correct this issue. The cooling passages were not designed large enough. The Cobra has major issues because it is the first year run for that motor. For reliability. the Evo is better!!! BTW- Ford is just as bad as Mitsu concerning warranty issues. I had to sue them for Breach of Warranty because they tried to void my warranty for rubber in the fender wells instead of stepping up to fix the dreaded tick. I won a $$$10,000 settlement.

Last edited by xstang; Jun 13, 2004 at 10:30 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blonde
if you really want a good advice contact Avatar of War from this board. he had an EVO which he sold and than got a 03' cobra. 3 months later he sold the cobra and guess what he bought?? yep, another evo.
As blonde said, I did have a fairly modified black Evo that I sold in order to purchase a Silver 10th anniversary '03 Cobra for drag racing / daily driving. I did like many of the dry traction features of the Cobra, but from a feel standpoint the linear torque curve made it somewhat boring to drive. (pics at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/sahmto3/Cobra/).

At the HP rating he's quoting you, there is no way he's on the stock Eaton anymore. I ran a 2.76 pulley on mine, and that was spinning it a little faster than I should have. I was around 420whp with the mods I had.

Yes, it was fast - but deceptively so. It was not as "fun" to blast to 100 as the Evo is. If he hasn't switched to a straight axle, that IRS isn't going to hold up at the power levels he's quoting you. Don't decieve yourself into thinking because it's a V8 it's going to be reliable and cheap to replace parts. My 6-spd tranny had issues, which the dealership repeatedly denied hearing the rather loud *** whine everyone else could hear. From the day I bought it, it died on me for no reason every couple of weeks. It is a known problem that has been around since the introduction of the '03 platform, and SVT is still "working" on it. Give them a call and ask them about it, I guarantee they will tell you "we expect to have a fix for it in two weeks." It's a running joke on the SVTPerformance boards. Wheel hop is a very big annoyance, and it'll body roll like a Suzuki Samurai.

In an above post, someone said the Evo "edged" out the Cobra in handling. That's not even close! The Evo destroys the Cobra in turns and braking. Weight is thine enemy, and the Cobra is a tank. A fast straight line tank, that consumes fuel like Eric Cartman does cheesy-poofs. There's a reason you pay a $2000 gas-guzzler tax when purchasing it new from the dealer. My insurance also dropped almost $700 a year switching back to the Evo.

In the end, all of those things contributed to me getting another Evo. The one BIG deal that did in the Cobra for me was this: daily driving in REAL world conditions. Don't even THINK about driving that car in snow... I'm nearly 30 years old, have kids of my own, and I still had to call my dad to come pick me up from work because my $36k muscle-car couldn't budge it's way out of a parking lot even 2WD trucks were easily navigating. The Evo is the hands down REAL world performer, and is the best deal on the market today (followed closely by the STi).

Did you ever consider that there is a reason someone would want to trade you an alleged 600hp Cobra for your Evo? If he bought it new, and if he's paid for all the mods to get it to "580hp" then he has spent easily over $40k total. Sounds like a fishy deal to me.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Here are the direct links to pictures of My Cobra:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...50179989RDMCeH

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...50181061HsWjtJ

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...50179270LyhBEr
Old Jun 13, 2004, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with everyone who says stick with the EVO.

But above all, you live in Denver, right? Try driving theCobra in the snow!! Or even in colder weather when the pavement is hard to grip. I would take the EVO every time over the Cobra in your situation.

Eric

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jun 13, 2004 at 07:27 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

I've owned both cars... I agree with much said except for the Cobra and Evo hooking the same in dry weather. My 03 Cobra would spin the tires at 60MPH. As far as reliability, the Cobra rearend is weak. I replaced two and my third one was leaking fluid when I traded it in. The car also had a ticking issue between the #7 and #8 cylinder. Ford actually had to stop production at one point in November 2002 to correct this issue. The cooling passages were not designed large enough. The Cobra has major issues because it is the first year run for that motor. For reliability. the Evo is better!!! BTW- Ford is just as bad as Mitsu concerning warranty issues. I had to sue them for Breach of Warranty because they tried to void my warranty for rubber in the fender wells instead of stepping up to fix the dreaded tick. I won a $$$10,000 settlement.
Traction isn't an issue if you can launch properly. If you just floor it and pop the clutch, like how some people launch the Evo , you're bound to sit there spinning.

I said that because people are always saying how the Evo blows away the Cobra with the launch. The AWD is good, but the Cobra can still get a good launch if you don't spin too much, and provided the ground is dry.

Reliability-wise, stock for stock the Evo motor is very good, but when you start modifying and adding on more power, the Evo drivetrain may not be able to handle that much power as compared to the Cobra.

Overall the Ford has a few reliability problems, like they said above. The Mustang has always had a few recalls with gearbox breaking synchros and things like that, but overall if you get a nice car it shouldn't have those issues. The Evo is okay stock, but expect a little bit of hassle when you start putting down a lot of power.

But most people here have Evos in the 300-350 bhp at wheels at most, so it's not like it's a problem. But if you start pushing 400 bhp you'll start seeing problems.

Overall, Ford may have a few bad dealers, but on the whole they're fairly good about the warranty. Mitsubishi, however, is the opposite; the entire company is bad with a few good dealers trying to keep their own rep.

So given the choice, I've made my choice. I thought about the Cobra, and I quickly kicked that idea due to all the reasons that people have said. They're all very valid.

But ultimately it's your choice. Don't let people make your mind up for you. You have to decide what you want. Just be careful and don't make the wrong choice.

Quick Reply: trade evo for 03 cobra