Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Who originally made the Evo faster?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2004, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who originally made the Evo faster?

Here and there I get bored and have to post something like this. Kind of like that modded or not modded thread. Anyways, the Evo 8 have been running around the US for almost a couple of years, and we are getting a faster one for 05'. I have read a lot about the tuners here in the US. We have the ones that people like to argue about. As far as we are concerned, they are the best. But, unless they have been tuning Evos outside of the US, they have only worked with the 8, the US 8. I am wondering where the people that have been playing with the other 7 Evos before ours are? Also, how do the Evo 8 tuners in the US compare to the tuners that have been working with this car since it was born in the early 90s. I have seen a lot of goods and bads with the tuners here. But, in the almost two years that the Evo has been in the states, has the US caught up and passed the rest of the world in Evo tuning, and have we done this with the watered down US version? Just wondering what else is out there, and if we have been reinventing the wheel or building on the success of the previous Evos. The AEM EMS have only been out for a couple of years, what did they tune 6's and 7's with....or the 4's and 5's.
Just curious.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 09:58 PM

In terms of power, tuners have had the 4G63, in some way, shape or form, to tinker with since 1990. If you haven't noticed, it's very easy to get it to make more power

Sure, some things are different with the Evo, but it's pretty much the same base.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BigB
In terms of power, tuners have had the 4G63, in some way, shape or form, to tinker with since 1990. If you haven't noticed, it's very easy to get it to make more power

Sure, some things are different with the Evo, but it's pretty much the same base.

yeah, think back to 1990, with all the rally cars and whatnot
Old Sep 8, 2004, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

I know that Motecs were pretty famous on Evo7s...
Old Sep 8, 2004, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Autronic is pretty big as well. Ralliart, of course is a big tuner because it's pretty much Mitsu's in-house tuning company. HKS has had a role in tuning them for years, just because they're HKS and they do that to everything. Personally, I think that the US tuners have at least equalled, if not overtaken, the other tuners of the world for the Evo. Buschur Racing, TurboTrix, Pruven, Vishnu...They all have made some very impressive cars. Some of them are more purpose built for drag racing or tracks than others, but that is what the Evo is all about....Evolution.

If you look at other companies that build the Evo overseas (Norris Design, JUN, HKS, etc.) they all make very nice parts, very expensively. The US companies definitely have the low prices in their favor, and that is a big thing for me. Another reason I like the US tuners is because they are here. If I have a problem with something that I bought from Buschur Racing, I know I can call them and it will be fixed immediately. I won't have to wait or pay for parts to be "overnighted from Ja-Pan". Paraphrasing Adam from Z-1, he said it best when he told me "find out what standalone brand the local tuning shops prefer to tune with and go with that, even if the masses of Evo's out there are not running it. This will save you headache in the long run because you will always have a resident expert on hand for any corrections or adjustments you need to have made."
Old Sep 8, 2004, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Racer RS X
Here and there I get bored and have to post something like this. Kind of like that modded or not modded thread. Anyways, the Evo 8 have been running around the US for almost a couple of years, and we are getting a faster one for 05'. I have read a lot about the tuners here in the US. We have the ones that people like to argue about. As far as we are concerned, they are the best. But, unless they have been tuning Evos outside of the US, they have only worked with the 8, the US 8. I am wondering where the people that have been playing with the other 7 Evos before ours are? Also, how do the Evo 8 tuners in the US compare to the tuners that have been working with this car since it was born in the early 90s. I have seen a lot of goods and bads with the tuners here. But, in the almost two years that the Evo has been in the states, has the US caught up and passed the rest of the world in Evo tuning, and have we done this with the watered down US version? Just wondering what else is out there, and if we have been reinventing the wheel or building on the success of the previous Evos. The AEM EMS have only been out for a couple of years, what did they tune 6's and 7's with....or the 4's and 5's.
Just curious.
The AEM EMS started out as the GEMS ECU from the UK which has been around a while. The DSM cars are like evo III. They are the same basebut not the same engine.

With our fixation on drag racing we have always made more peak power than the rest of the world on the 4G63. Although our dynos tend to read higher than the rest of the world. You can see by trap speeds that we are more than competitive with the world.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 11:30 AM

Ralliart has been the premier Evo tuner in the world for years. 4G63 Mitsu rally cars have been around a long time. Take a look at some Evo 4,5,6s here in the states, theyre still very competitive with the current model. The majority of Evo rally cars here in the states use Autronic but Motec is also popular all over the world.

Brandon
Old Sep 8, 2004, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

one of the first cars to utilize the 4G63 is the galant, followed shortly by the 1st gen DSMs, and then the 2nd gen DSMS. all these cars have the "older" 4G63 platform that are the same as the EVO I, II, and III... there are various american companies that had tuned these cars to run 11's and 10's; road race, bushur, extreme motorsports to name a few... I personally prefer JDM parts because afterall, the evo is/was a japanese exclusive vehicle... I've never heard any japanese evo owners putting lets say a bushur exhaust on their car in japan. Let's put it this way... If i own an M3, i'd rather stick with Hamann than putting teins on my car (yes, tein makes coilovers for the current 3 series). If I own a Corvette or Viper and I live in Japan, I wouldnt want any Greddy parts to go on my car neither... I'd import an Henessey supercharger if i have to