EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Evo windshield is different from Lancer windshield (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/136083-evo-windshield-different-lancer-windshield.html)

erioshi Apr 28, 2005 01:09 PM

Evo windshield is different from Lancer windshield

My windshield took a rock and needed to be replaced. When I called the glass company they listed the same part number (in their system) for both car. Having been throught that beofe, I had them check with Mitsubishi directly. I also called my local dealership and got both part numbers.

Evo windshield = Mitsubishi part number: MR991637
Lancer windshield = Mitsubishi part number: MR533951

So there, you have it; the windshields are different even if you can mount a Lancer windshield in an Evo.

propellerhead Apr 28, 2005 01:14 PM

The Evo windshield is supposedly thinner and hence lighter. At least that is what I thought I had read someplace.

alex_alex Apr 28, 2005 01:14 PM

i can vouch for this. i had mine replaced.

for those of you that are doing it under insurance, or otherwise, and are referred to a shop that carries "oem quality aftermarket glass", you NEED to request the OEM piece instead. I have yet to see a shop that distinguishes on their database or otherwise between the Lancer and the EVO.

91GSX Apr 28, 2005 01:37 PM

had mine replaced as well. the place that did mine could not distinguish the difference between the lancer and evo either. they found that the evo glass is double the price & that the lancer glass has a tint strip at the top. the guys at the windshield place told me that it is one of the most expensive pieces they have ever seen.

DCSilvrEvo Apr 28, 2005 01:39 PM

Tell the show to sort it by VIN number. That might help ALOT!

jfh Apr 28, 2005 01:53 PM

Other than the weight issue, are there any other problems with using the Lancer windshield. The Evo OEM glass has proven to be very suceptible to chips and cracks.

vegasboy301 Apr 28, 2005 01:58 PM

me: i need a windshield for my evolution

winshield shop: oh you mean for your lancer.

:|

LancerEVOVIIISD Apr 28, 2005 02:03 PM

Just out of curiousity, how much was your OEM Evolution windshield?

erioshi Apr 28, 2005 02:16 PM

The glass shop said their price was over $500 for the Evo windshield. No idea if the info was accurate, though.

lookslikeanevo Apr 28, 2005 02:17 PM

how much of a weight difference are we talking about

meanmud Apr 28, 2005 02:19 PM

An OE Evo winshield will go for about $550 installed.

Some glass people told me that all new winshields are lightweight; thus, the ease for a rock to crack it - He also said that's why the evo glass is probably not that different - I may go a cheaper route :confused:

Oh yeah - mine has had a crack now for about 1/5 months {thumbdwn}

thestaton Apr 28, 2005 02:21 PM

EVO windshield also has the correct rearview mirror attachment.

staton

lookslikeanevo Apr 28, 2005 02:22 PM

^huh?
they are different

GinuwineEvo8 Apr 28, 2005 02:31 PM

I too have replaced my front winsheild do to a rock incident. Just to make it clear - the EVO glass is not any lighter than a regular lancer's windsheild. Windshields are regulated to be a certain weight/thickness for crash test results and have to comply to it.

But with that said - the glass on the windows and the doors are lighter material - it was even dicussed on the mitsu evo website ...

vegasboy301 Apr 28, 2005 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by lookslikeanevo
^huh?
they are different

yes they are