EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Does the wing? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/168615-does-wing.html)

mike1023 Nov 9, 2005 12:55 PM

Does the wing?

ok i wanted to know from you guys. does the wing slow you down becasue of down force. becasue i know rs is faster then the reg evo. but if wing has more down force. will it mean give better handling and if so if take if off will you really tell the diff in it all. plz let me know thanks. and does anyone who have there wing off know how much it weights. thnaks

walkedu Nov 9, 2005 01:02 PM

I took mine off and could FOR SURE feel a difference but only at high speeds. I like it off anyway. Looks cleaner and less ricey IMO.

mike1023 Nov 9, 2005 01:05 PM

high speed like 100mph up or somthing. and what does it free like like the back end going all over. or what. and do you notice is it faster or slower the car. feel like more drag on the car or less. is less then should be faster but then the back end will go out on you.

LimPShoT Nov 9, 2005 01:09 PM

RS is faster than gsr because of less weight -ac, stereo, abs, alum hood.

mike1023 Nov 9, 2005 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by LimPShoT
RS is faster than gsr because of less weight -ac, stereo, abs, alum hood.

ya ok understand. but im ully gutting my gsr as we talk. and wanted to know if wing does anything but keep back end down more. and if so i think i would want becasue im making it a road race car. and on that note if so i will get a CF trunk with the holes for the wing.

walkedu Nov 9, 2005 01:12 PM

With my wing off doing about 80 on a clear day, it feels fine. It's on windy days it feels like the back end is moving around. Like it's on ice or something? No difference in speed though. The weight of the wing is next to nothing. At low speeds (about 65 or less IMO), the wing is good for nothing but making people want to race you.

Happy Madison Nov 9, 2005 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by mike1023
ya ok understand. but im ully gutting my gsr as we talk. and wanted to know if wing does anything but keep back end down more. and if so i think i would want becasue im making it a road race car. and on that note if so i will get a CF trunk with the holes for the wing.

personally, i wouldn't do the CF trunk, or any other weight reduction to the back end. the car is already nose-heavy...

mike1023 Nov 9, 2005 01:28 PM

yes i know what you mean. but also think of this im taking ac out and butting small batt in. also air intake with after market save 10lb so will be about say front end can say 30+20+10=60 so thats more then the trunk. so its a if thing. also with full coilovers and sway bars can help dispres the weight.

Nez136 Nov 9, 2005 01:28 PM

there are soooo many misconceptions about the RS, GSR, MR. why don't people just do the research??? is that so hard to use the search function?

mike1023 Nov 9, 2005 01:33 PM

why if so easy why not just post the link to were the forum is then gosh.

Ludikraut Nov 9, 2005 01:36 PM

Yes, the wing adds noticeable downforce, which will limit your topspeed, but only if you've gotten rid of the speed limiter in your ECU (otherwise either way you'll hit the limiter). If you want the best of both worlds, then get yourself a rear undertray (like the kind Vishnu was selling) and ditch the wing. That will give you better stability (no "parachute" effect from the rear bumper) and slightly more downforce (though obviously not as much as with the wing).

Ultimately aerodynamics always end up being a compromise between stability (more downforce, more drag), and speed (less downforce, less drag).

l8r)

Turbo Meg Nov 9, 2005 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nez136
there are soooo many misconceptions about the RS, GSR, MR. why don't people just do the research??? is that so hard to use the search function?

So true!

8o8style Nov 9, 2005 01:41 PM

i agree with turbo meg...

drivethrufinch3 Nov 9, 2005 01:45 PM

I have an evo 7 wing on my Lancer es and i took it off one time, and purposly went fast to see if i could tell a diff, i did notice like it was less stable (not wrecklessly unstable) but less stable at high speeds like 85+

1.8t Nov 9, 2005 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ludikraut

Ultimately aerodynamics always end up being a compromise between stability (more downforce, more drag), and speed (less downforce, less drag).

Bingo.